Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30am - 6.30pm
Thursday: 9.30am - 1.00pm
Friday: 9.30am - 5.30pm
Saturday: 10.00am - 1.00pm
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independent shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes June 2020

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 23rd June 2020 at 7.00pm via Zoom.

Present: Cllrs Ayre, Brooks, Murphy, Peacock, J Peck, K Peck, Rogers, Troop.

20/1 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting and welcomed all present to the Parish Councils first Zoom Ordinary Meeting. Chair reported that the meeting is recorded by the Parish Council.

20/2 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Apologies received; - Cllr Scott Carlton. Noted, due to technical issues Cllr Michael Brown was unable to log into Zoom.

20/3 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS

Cllr Murphy 20/7 Allotments

20/4 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 23rd JUNE 2020

Amendment to include; Cllrs Troop and Brown talked around the response to Covid 19 and the suggestion was made for the formation of a working group. Unanimously agreed.

Minutes Approved unanimously.

20/5 MATTERS ARISING (following NALC guidelines)

Cllr Ayre - cherry tree Abbey Road Community Centre, still to be pruned.

Cllr Peacock - contact Lidsters again to fix Thoresby Memorial.

Cllr K Peck - Bowling Green Pavilion has a slate missing.

20/6 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS TO COUNCIL FROM MEMBERS

None.

20/7 TO RECEIVE DRAFT MINUTES AND REPORTS OF THE FOLLOWING COMMITTEES, SUB-COMMITTEES AND WORKING GROUPS

  1. Allotments
    Cllr Ayre – reported that allotment holders have completed and accepted new allotment renewal forms. Seek clarification on status of the “Green Lane” that runs along boundary of Ollerton Road Allotments. Cllr Peacock requested copies of allotment forms from Administrator.

  2. Parks and Open Spaces
    Cllr Brooks – reported amenity supervisor fixed pedestrian gate Henton Road green space. Car park Barrier ordered with 2.1m height restriction Jubilee Park. Thanked NSDC with assistance to remove travellers and clean-up site, also thanked local architect firm who have replaced the three storage buildings at church farm business centre. Skate Park to be repaired with metal covering. Approval to be agreed regarding location village Gateway signs.

    Cllr J Peck thanked councillors who dealt with traveller issue.

    Cllr Murphy recommended non slip timber preservative to skate park.

  3. Covid working group
    Cllr K Peck – working group supporting 26 households and providing medications. Overall appreciation from councillors in covid19 response.

    Cllr Freeman proposed letter to Mark Spencer MP regarding cut back to services, seconded by Cllr Troop. Unanimously agreed.

20/8 AGENDA

  1. Contracts with service providers – dog bins & bottle banks
    Chair reported RSPB now emptying dog bins twice a week. Amenity supervisor placed additional black bag by dog bins in village. ROB now emptying bottle bins within village. Asked should council look to other service providers, unanimously agreed no further action.

    Cllr Peacock overflowing dog bins due to increased dog walking with bins sealed within RSPB reserve.

  2. Emergency Planning, including Covid19 risk development plan
    Cllr K Peck new risk assessments required and develop emergency plan. Go to Health & Safety Committee for approval. Cllr Troop to lead group, seconded by Cllr Peacock. Unanimously agreed.

  3. High Street crash update
    Cllr J Peck reported NCC agreed to replace bow to statue and strengthen with steel rod inside. NCC to replace lights and tree, NCC to pay costs. Cllr Peacock obtained grant from NSDC to cover costs for printed village magazine to assist local business to thrive again after covid19.

    Cllr K Peck requested a thank you to Cllr J Peck and send letter to NCC for quick reaction in fixing damage.

  4. S106 Money commitments – village hall window, Sherwood fields solar panels, toilet
    Chair reported commissioned replacement of village hall window. Cllr Peacock gained grant from NSDC Parish initiative fund towards football pavilion solar panels. Bid to be made with Football foundation for contribution by Robin Hood Colts. Total cost £55,000 plus VAT. Waiting to hear if village hall successful with grant for the village hall toilets.

  5. RSPB car parking
    Cllr Troop to write draft letter to RSPB regarding car parking restricted to 10am-4pm and send to office.

    Cllr Peacock - Swinecote road dangerous as cars parking on verges.

  6. Harworth Visit
    Chair reported that Cllrs Brooks, Calrton, Peacock and K Peck met with Harworths to discuss Thoresby Vale Development including eco homes and Ollerton roundabout. Recommended a future meeting.

20/9 Correspondence (COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

  1. Letter from the Clerk
  2. NALC - new model code of conduct
  3. NALC - new risk assessment guide
  4. NALC - Legal update
  5. NALC – website accessibility

Correspondence during Covid clampdown, had been sent by e-mail prior to this meeting.

Discussion resulting from Correspondence

Chair reported letter from clerk confidential item. NALC conducting consultation due to removal of standard board may have increased Parish/Town Clerk turnover. Similar scheme may be introduced in future.

20/10 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. AGAR
    Chair reported that the signing and publication of the AGAR has been delayed following government guidance for all parish/town councils.

  2. Finance Report
    Clerk produced interim report which will follow AGAR.

  3. Robin Hood Colts
    Cllr J Peck – next finance meeting should discuss the requests from Robin Hood Colts.

  4. Salaries
    Cllr Freeman reported that it was normal practice for authorities to undertake NJC incremental progression for staff each year which was agreed at the Personnel Committee and to present to this Full Council Meeting. Cllr Freeman proposed the adoption, seconded by Cllr Brooks. Cllr Troop who is on the Personnel Committee abstained and said “she did not know what she was voting for”. Cllr Freeman then withdrew the proposal. Agreed to be an agenda item for the next full council meeting.

    It was agreed that insurance to be discussed at the finance committee.

20/11 INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT (if applicable)
18.05.2020 Cobb & Son Grave Digg £250.00
18.05.2020 SWS Environmental Asbestos removal £390.00
19.05.2020 LALC Training course £240.00
21.05.2020 Cobb & Son Grave Digg £250.00
29.05.2020 Salaries Wages £3,188.53
29.05.2020 HMRC PAYE/NIC £1,270.14
29.05.2020 NCC Pension £1,770.66
03.06.2020 Came & Company Vehicle insurance £469.21
03.06.2020 Came & Company Council insurance £4,045.00
03.06.2020 Town & Country Grass cutting £1,072.80
10.06.2020 NSDC Dog Bin contract £607.88
11.06.2020 Cobb & Son Grave Digg £250.00
12.06.2020 Salaries Wages £1,949.99

20/12 DIRECT DEBITS FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT (if applicable)
18.05.2020 Sage UK Payroll Software £20.40
20.05.2020 UK Fuels Ltd Petrol/Diesel £27.56
26.05.2020 Better Connected Telecoms £93.53
27.05.2020 UK Fuels Ltd Petrol/Diesel £80.59
01.06.2020 DVLA Vehicle Tax £23.18
01.06.2020 NSDC East lane car park £58.00
01.06.2020 NSDC West lane car park £49.00
01.06.2020 NSDC Mansfield Rd car park £69.00
10.06.2020 UK Fuels Ltd Petrol/Diesel £1.80
16.06.2020 Sage UK Payroll Software £20.40

20/13 INCOME

DATE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT (if applicable)
19.05.2020 Burial £710.00
21.05.2020 Allotment £30.50
27.05.2020 Street Cleaning £4,702.50
28.05.2020 Allotment £21.00
05.06.2020 Burial/Memorial/Allotment £904.50
15.06.2020 Bird Box/Allotment £121.00
Income Sub Total   £6,489.50
BANK BALANCE   £96,990.75

Cllr J Peck proposed extending the meeting beyond two hours. Unanimously accepted.

Chair proposed next full council zoom meeting to be four weeks’ time. Unanimously agreed.

20/14 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; BULLET POINTS TO CLERK)

Report from District Councillor John Peck;

1. The County Council has started online committee and full council meetings. Councillor Stuart Wallace was elected at the Annual Meeting as Chairman for 2020/21. A statement was read expressing the County Council support for “Black Lives Matter”.

2. The main focus of County Council business has been concerned with the pandemic and Adult Social Care and the Children and Young People’s department have been focused on ensuring the most vulnerable are protected. The Highways Department have been doing emergency and essential maintenance. Recycling centers are now open and libraries should open in July. Schools have been supported throughout but many are experiencing difficulties in admitting pupils whilst ensuring social distancing measures.

3. Immediately after the recent accident on the High Street, I contacted the Director who assigned officers to urgently deal with the damage. I met with an officer on the High Street to assess the damage and all the street furniture has been ordered. I also requested that in addition to the statue repair, Robin Hood’s bow be repaired at the same time. I’m pleased to say the County Council have agreed to fund this at a cost of over £4000. I had found out the name of the original sculptor and passed this on to the Director. I met the sculptor (along with Duncan who had safely stored Maid Marion). He has since been commissioned to carry out the restoration which will take several weeks. My thanks to the County Council and the Highways staff who have acted promptly and with great professionalism throughout, to our amenity workers who promptly assisted with clearing up and the emergency services who attended the accident.

4. I have made several donations to various community and sporting groups from my community fund, to assist them during this difficult time. The donations include £1000 to the Parish Council/Church volunteer group which was set up. Also donations to the Village Hall Management Committee and Thoresby Sporting Trust.

5. I’m continuing to work from home and remain available to deal with individual issues from constituents.

Report from District Councillor M Brown;

Firstly I’d like to thank everybody in the village for their assistance in helping those in need during the COVID-19, and for their ongoing support of the National Health Service and all the donations made by residents. Since our last meeting I’ve had multiple planning meetings including a planning meeting regarding Thorsby colliery Regeneration, this includes open spaces affordable housing & access ext.

I made these representations at the planning meeting. I have also had meetings regarding the development at Ollerton roundabout with officer’s I have had meetings regarding the dog waste bins this includes the timetable on when they are to be emptied as the usage of these has increased due to the lockdown with Covid.

I’ve had meetings with the tenants of Newark and Sherwood homes regarding issues with their properties. I like this opportunity to thank everybody who donated items for staff at Kingsmill hospital to help with washing ext. Due to Covid I have had multiple meetings and trips to take these donations, and also had meetings regarding the reopening fully of the minor injuries at Newark Hospital.

I’ve also had meetings regarding the social distancing on the High Street. I also brought up the issue of district councils not being involved in these meetings and only officers of the district Council and county council being present as a local knowledge would have improved the situation which we are currently in. They are meant to be re-assessing next week, I have asked for this to be done earlier so hopefully blocking off the car parking area is removed. So as to improve the flow and productivity of our wonderful High Street and the retailers who Preside there.

Report from District Councillor Carlton;

I would like to firstly thank the community of Edwinstowe and elected colleagues, for all the efforts to date, in responding to the Coronavirus Outbreak and the impact of lockdown on our community.

Most of my council time has been centered on individual casework for constituents since our last meeting, and to the best of my abilities supporting parish colleagues and volunteers in delivering what I believe has been an effective response. A few points worth noting: - Pushed for NSDC to be front and center in changing the supply policy of PPE to unpaid careers across the District. A resident flagged this as an issue to me and I am pleased that the intervention of NSDC, (by raising it at the Local Resilience Forum), the resident concerned, now has fortnightly deliveries of PPE.

Dealt with numerous cases for individuals needing medical supplies but who were unable to access such items, due to shielding, access to a hospital and so on. I have been impressed with the speed the CCG locally have issued supplies to residents.

I have also worked with organisations such as Macmillan Nurses to support residents. Made representations to District Colleagues that are also County Councillors, to help push forward Ollerton Roundabout. Reported many, many fly tips, as well as made representations to County to re-open Recycling Centers. Assisted NSDC tenants with property repairs.

Supported businesses in the village, in helping them be sign posted to the Government grants available made available, as well as more lately directed businesses that hadn’t been successful With the SBRR Grant or Hospitality Grant towards the Discretionary Fund Grant.

Undertaken many caseworks for self-employed residents that were struggling to access financial support. Took part in the Notts Police Crime Scrutiny Panel interview for the New Deputy Commissioner of Nottinghamshire Police. To the best of my abilities I have just tried to be there for as many people during this crisis to help and support residents, even if it were just for a chat.

Report from District Councillor Peacock;

High Street TTRO measures have been removed, arranged for a review on the 30 June 2020 to take into account further lowering of restrictions.

Been working with NSDC to work up a project to improve the condition and parking of First Avenue Crescent. At first NSDC thought they had legal title over the crescent but it transpires the Coal Authority do. NSDC are writing to the Coal Authority about its responsibilities. NSDC are still hopeful that they can access funding to make improvements.

The funding for a new Swimming Pool at Dukeries Leisure Centre has been approved. Hoping to start work late summer/early autumn.

Planning permission for Thoresby Vale second phase has been passed.

Dangerous garages at the garage site on Abbey Road will be demolished Pursuing First Port, the maintenance management company for Friars Park about lack of maintenance and responsibility for boundary fencing.

The Forest Corner consultation will begin shortly, residents will get the chance to shape the future vision of the Forest Corner. Managed to get funding from NSDC High Street Fund for printing and distribution of Magazine. Worked with local groups, helping them to access the NSDC Business Rate Grants.

Secured £20k for the Sherwood Fields PV project from NSDC.

20/15 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION, STANDING ORDERS WILL BE SUSPENDED
(FOR THE DURATION OF THIS SECTION

None.

20/16 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 21st July 2020 at 7.00pm

Meeting finished 9.20pm.

Web Design by JKE Web Design