Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes June 2011

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on 14 June 2011 in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Brooks, Cocking, George, Starbrook, Tattersall, Boughey, Ayre, Benson, J Peck, K Peck, Freeman

There were no apologies for absence.

WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

None.

11/029 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr J Peck, Brooks and Benson for Home-Start grant Application (item 11/041 (3))

11/030 CHAIRPERSON'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

None.

11/031 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 18th May 2011

Minutes were approved and signed as accurate

TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON 18th May 2011
The minutes were approved and signed as accurate.

11/032 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1905hrs

Presentation by Izi Banton.

Robin Hood Festival
This year's festival will take place over 5 days from 10th - 14th August inclusive. After consultation with Highways Department and Nottinghamshire Police, Nottinghamshire County Council have no other option but to close a section of Swinecote Road during the festival period to allow the safe passage of visitors to the event from Naish's Field. The road will be closed between 9.00am and 5.00pm. Swinecote Road will also have a 30mph speed limit during the event.

Cllr J Peck recognised the impact the road closure would have on residents of the village and stressed the Parish Council had taken no part in the decision to close the road.

Cllr K Peck was concerned that although the road would only be closed between 9.00am and 5.00pm, none of the road signs reflected that fact. A discussion took place concerning how best to communicate the facts to residents/visitors. Izi to talk to Highways Dept about adding times to road closure signs and/or turning signs over at the end of each day; posters to be placed in shops, health centre, library, community centres and all prominent places.

Information to be placed on the Edwinstowe website.

Habitat Management in Sherwood Forest
Sherwood Forest is possibly the most unique hunting forest in Europe and should consist of wood pasture and not high forest. Over the last 50 years trees have regenerated themselves creating a different habitat and therefore losing valuable wildlife. There are only 10 major sites in the country with the woodland pasture system.

15 years ago work started to return the forest to wood pasture. This work is quite drastic and is being done in conjunction with Natural England, paid for by external funding. The programme will continue for approximately a further ten years.

If any councillors would like to discuss what is happening in the forest, a site meeting has been proposed for September. Agenda in July

Cllr Brooks thanked Izi for her very valuable and interesting contribution.

Ended 1924hrs

11/033 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1925hrs

Cllr Benson has been approached by a resident concerned with speeding vehicles on Mill Lane. Clerk to contact Police/Highways Dept for better road signs, speed limit painted on road etc.

Cllr J Peck was also concerned that the speed limit should be reduced to 20mph as there is no footpath and with the parked vehicles it can be quite dangerous when walking along Mill Lane. Clerk to enquire and to invite representative of Highways Dept to an Ordinary Meeting. The survey of East Lane needs to be completed before a Highways representative attends a meeting. Noted

Cllr J Peck asked whether NCC had been contacted about spraying the increasing number of weeds around the village. The Clerk confirmed that they had and it would be chased up this week.

Ended 1925hrs

11/034 MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

  1. CCTV
    Cllr George had enquired at a previous meeting whether the CCTV cameras are working. The Clerk had received an email from N&SDC confirming that all cameras are working.

  2. Fifth Avenue Cul-de-sac
    A response has been received from Highways Dept concerning an enquiry from a resident of Fifth Avenue. Highways confirmed that the 'service road' is an adopted road and an inspection has been logged on the Highways System.

  3. Footpath 22 Mansfield Road
    This footpath has not been registered as a public right of way yet. Clerk to monitor situation

11/035 ANY BUSINESS REMAINING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

  1. Where/how to share information with the community
    After a general discussion the following were agreed:
    • Bullet points displayed in notice boards/library/community centres etc after each meeting

    • On website

    • In twice-yearly newsletter - frequency agreed 10 for and 1 abstention.

    It was agreed (10 for and 1 abstention) to set-up a Working Group to look at the newsletter including advertisers/format/feasibility/financing etc. All proposals to be brought back to Council for approval; Membership agreed unanimously - Cllrs Freeman, J Peck and Starbrook.

  2. Location for additional dog bins
    Councillors had been asked previously to consider sites for additional dog bins. Any proposals would be considered when calculating next year's precept. Cllr Brooks has informed the resident who requested a dog bin on the Old Rufford School Fields that this was Barratt’s responsibility. Clerk to chase Barratts for update

    Some dog owners are not cleaning up after their dogs and the situation is getting worse especially on Greendale Avenue. Clerk to order more 'Clean up after your dog signs'.

  3. Christmas Lights
    It will cost approximately £4,000 to extend the Christmas lights to include the lamp posts or approximately £2,000 to keep the lights as last year. Cllr Cocking proposed keeping the current system, Cllr Boughey seconded vote - 10 for, 1 against.

  4. Banners Update
    Designs are currently being researched by the resident who is paying for the banners. These will be brought back to the next Council meeting. Agenda item in July

  5. Alarm Quotes
    Three quotes have been received and it was unanimously agreed to use Cables Electrical based in Sutton-in-Ashfield. The alarm update will cost £378

11/036 CHAIRPERSONS CORRESPONDENCE

None.

11/037 RECEIVE PETITIONS

None.

11/038 TO RECEIVE REPORTS MINUTES & RECOMMENDATIONS FROM WORKING GROUPS

  1. Events
    The Events Working Group is meeting fortnightly and planning is progressing well. To date, the only cost to the Parish Council is for the road closure. Next meeting is 22nd June.

    Cllr K Peck has contacted local groups and organisations and it transpires that there are many events happening over that weekend. In future Edwinstowe could hold a Family Fun Weekend co-ordinating all these events. We need to keep a calendar at the Parish Council to assist with planning future events. Clerk to action

    Thanks to Alice and Sarah for their hard work.

  2. Finance
    The Finance Committee discussed building up the reserve accounts over the next four years to approximately £40k - £50k - currently £10k. On current estimations, we should be able to transfer another £10k to the general reserves at the end of the financial year.

    Sherwood Fields Management agreement is overdue for renewal and a meeting has been scheduled for Monday 27th June at 6.30pm. There is concern that the s106 monies used to finance the running costs have now been reduced to £11k. At current prices, this will only sustain the pavillion for one further year. We cannot increase the precept to cover the costs of the pavillion. The Finance Committee will report back at the next Ordinary Meeting.

  3. Henton Road Dog Park Survey
    Cllrs Brooks and Starbrook have visited the Dog Park on Henton Road to consider the following:
    • Landscaping - cost £1,650 (Agreed not to proceed)

    • New Gates - cost £1,153 ( Agreed to replace gates - Clerk to obtain up to date prices and bring back to next meeting)

    • Request to purchase part of the park from a local resident - Agreed not to sell any Parish Council land. Vote 8 for, 3 abstentions

    It was also agreed to obtain quotes for another dog bin, new signage and a second bench. Agenda July

    Cllr Tattersall asked why the park is not currently being strimmed. Clerk to speak to Contractor and arrange

    Cllr Cocking notified the meeting that the pedestrian access to the Play Park on Henton Road has a 'step' onto the grass which could cause problems to pushchairs and wheelchair users. Clerk to raise as part of the playground inspection this year

11/039 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES AND OTHER BODIES

None.

11/040 RESOLUTIONS OR RECOMMENDATIONS

  1. Approval of new agenda
    Approved unanimously; Planning applications will be considered at the monthly Planning Committee meetings, only urgent items of planning will be discussed at the Ordinary Meetings.

  2. Approval of handbook including standing orders & financial regulations
    Approved unanimously.

  3. ID Badges
    Cllr Boughey requested all councillors be issued with an ID badge for use when on official Council business. He stressed that these badges should not be used for gain or favour. Cllr K Peck requested that Sarah and Alice also have an ID badge. A sample was shown to the meeting and was approved.

11/041 FINANCES

The councillors agreed that the financial information currently distributed is sufficient.

  1. To review the cash book balance
    None.

  2. Matters arising from the balance
    Cllr Freeman asked why we pay £35 each year to Thoresby Estate for 'River Maun Licence' Clerk to investigate. Agenda July

  3. Financial correspondence
    Dukeries Home Start Grant (for information) - a letter has been sent to Dukeries Home-Start informing that grant applications will now only be considered twice per year.

  4. Financial matters
    Approval of Internal Audit
    The internal audit procedures were discussed and approved by the meeting. The Annual Return had been considered and discussed at the recent Finance Committee Meeting. It was proposed to accept the Annual Return - approved unanimously

    Approval of Financial Software
    Ollerton Town Council uses a financial software package that is specifically for large Parish/Town Councils. Edwinstowe would need a smaller package that would cost £639 for the first year and then £99 per year for updates/maintenance and support. The meeting requested that the Clerk research alternative software packages and report back to the Finance Committee who will make their recommendations to full council. Agreed Clerk to research suitable finance packages

CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
AON Annual Insurance £6,298.40
SLCC Membership £190.00
JKP Services Lawn Mower Parts £15.50
Town & Country Grass Cutting May £1,873.20
Ridgewood Plants Hanging Baskets £646.80
Intervend Water £12.00
SAS Tap, Timber, Key Cut, Garden Hose, Bolts, Fluorescent Light, Tie Wraps £100.55
BT Phone Bill £304.08
Thoresby Estate Licence River Maun £35.00
N&SDC Trade Waste Cemetery £516.88
Tuxford Rd Garage Petrol £97.74
SAS Materials £42.11
Konica Minolta Photo Copier £31.03
Oak Industrial Bleach, Disinfectant £73.44
Central Garage Bowser Repair £47.00

Cheques approved and signed.

11/042 TO RECEIVE REPORTS CONCERNING THE PARISH FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT
COUNCILLORS

The District Councillors report had already been circulated.

D/Cllr Brooks had one further item that was not for discussion but information only. Councillors can make recommendations to the District Council if desired.

The Hammer and Wedge have applied for a minor variation to the premises licence as follows:-

From:
Any noise produced or associated with the regulated entertainment must not be audible at the facade of the nearest residential, commercial or industrial premises.

To:
Any noise produced or associated with the regulated entertainment shall not cause annoyance or give reasonable cause for complaint by the occupier or any nearby residential property.

D/Cllr Brooks will be responding as a District Councillor immediately

2055hrs Cllr Freeman left the meeting - after referring to the Chair.

C/Cllr Ward is seriously ill therefore any county issues will be raised directly with Nottinghamshire County Council directly.

11/043 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

NAME DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
NCC Decision to proceed with admission from 3 years into St Mary's Early Learning Unit The Parish Council has written previously however we cannot directly affect the decision. Noted
Robin Woodhead Letter of Congratulations Noted
Sherwood Forest Map of Road Closure for the 2011 Robin Hood Festival As previously explained by Izi Banton
N&SDC Annual Play Ground Inspection 2011 It was agreed to have the inspection by N&SDC this year including the disabled access inspection. Cost £37. Any faults will be reported to the supplier/installer of the new equipment
Town & Country Chafer Bug Treatment Quote (Cemetery) The Chafer Bugs have returned. The larvae eat the roots of the grass which kills it. The cost of the treatment is £500. The bugs have also been seen in the field next to the cemetery. This causes concern if we pay for treatment, they will return next year. The alternative is to wait until autumn and re-seed the affected areas.

There is a Cemetery Working Group meeting on 21st June. Recommendations to be brought to next ordinary meeting for discussion.

11/044 REPORTS from Councillors TO BE SENT OUT WITH AGENDA

None.

11/045 PLANNING MATTERS

Planning Applications

1. Application No: 11/00511/FUL
Applicant: Mr A Sansom
Proposal: Fixing of a two faced clock on number 16 High Street Edwinstowe with time visible up & down
Site Address: 16 High Street
DECISION: APPROVED BY N&SDC

Planning Decisions

1. Application No: 11/00764/FUL
Applicant: Mr & Mrs L Freeman
Proposal: Single Storey Rear Bedroom/Ensuite Extension
Site Address: 25 Thoresby Avenue

Other Matters

1. Application No: 11/00764/FUL
Applicant: Dudley Taylor Properties
Proposal: Erection of 3 Dwellings
Site Address: Ye Olde Jug & Glass

11/046 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 12 July 2011

Meeting Closed at 2110hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design