Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes July 2015

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 14 July 2015 at 7.00pm or immediately after the Annual General Meeting in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Ayre, Benson, Brooks, Brown, Cocking, J Peck, K Peck, Starbrook, Tattersall

Apologies: Cllrs Peacock - other commitments, McLaughlin - holiday

15/041 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting, welcomed all present and reminded that there was CCTV in operation in the room.

Contrary to the agenda, councillors question time is now 10 minutes and public participation is 15 minutes.

15/042 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Apologies were approved and accepted unanimously. Cllr Ayre requested permission to leave the meeting at 8.15pm - approved unanimously

15/043 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr Starbrook for agenda item 15/052

15/044 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 9th June 2015

Minutes were approved unanimously and signed by the Chair.

15/045 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

  1. Land at Fourth Avenue
    The tenancy agreement is in the hands of the solicitors. Agreed for Clerk to contact CISWO

15/046 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1902hrs

Cllr Brown asked for the result of the Solar Farm application. The Parish Council approved the application.

Cllr Cocking asked if the half wheels outside Thoresby Colliery could have a protection order placed on them. Cllr Brooks to speak to Planning Department.

Cllr J Peck asked what was happening since the enquiries made concerning the banners and signs around the High Street. Cllr Brooks has written to the Enforcement Officer to investigate and will chase up especially as the signs contravene N&SDC conservation rules.

Ended 1906hrs

15/047 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

Available from Parish Council Office.

The Chair of Each Working Group/Committee will report back to the meeting. Copies of the reports are available from the Parish Council Office (subject to usual charges)

  1. Allotment Working Group
    There are now two noticeboards on site - the second did not cost anything. Anyone wishing to place a notice, please pass through the office to ensure suitability.

    1. Allotment Waiting List - currently empty

    2. Correspondence
      The Chair showed the meeting the file of correspondence between the Allotment Association President and the Parish Council. To date 140 letters have been received from the association. The comment made at a previous meeting that letters are unanswered is untrue. The file is available for any councillor that wishes to look through it.

      The Clerk has invited two members of the Association to the office to speak about the issues they may have - both refused.

    3. Tenancy Agreement
      In order to be open and transparent when the tenancy agreement was drawn up, the working group included a clause about water charges. Subsequently our solicitor has advised that this is unnecessary and open to exploitation. (Highlighted by one of the allotment holders who has refused to pay her rent because of the water charges but has seven filled water butts on her allotment) Agreed unanimously to remove clause 3.3.
  2. Finance Committee
    Consideration was given to a previous report from the Cemetery Working Group revising cemetery prices. The finance committee have made some recommendations which will be passed back to the working group for comments and then approval at the next ordinary meeting.

    The big project for this year is Fourth Avenue play area. We are on the reserve list for NCC funding.

  3. Planning Committee
    Only decisions this time, for information.

  4. Events Working Group
    Phil Jones from British Legion attended the meeting to explain plans for VJ Day celebrations on 15th August. This event is being run by the British Legion, supported by Parish Council.

    We have already started planning Remembrance Day (8th November 2015) and the Christmas event (26th November 2015).

    We have been approached by a group from Ollerton who would like to 'yarn bomb' the High Street during the Robin Hood Festival (3rd – 9th August 2015)

  5. Personnel & Staffing Working Group
    The group met to discuss and training needs required, work wear for amenity team and to start looking at all contracts and job descriptions. Staff will be kept informed during the process.

  6. Cemetery Working Group
    There had been a recent visit to the cemetery which is looking beautiful. Several plots have ornaments and pots on them which is making maintenance very difficult; a sign has been placed on the gates requesting their removal. There are two unsafe headstones which need to be repaired. The office are trying to locate family members to inform them. In the meantime the safest option is to remove them and lay them flat.

  7. Parks and Open Spaces Working Group
    The main project this year is the upgrading of the Fourth Avenue play area. There will be consultation with residents on the Avenues and with the children from King Edwin Primary School.

    There is confusion around the designation of the grassed area on Henton Road, commonly called the dog walking park. This park is dual purpose as it is also a children's play area. Dog owners MUST be responsible and clean up after their dogs. Signs to be placed on fencing around the park

    The working group will be visiting all the open spaces at the next meeting in July.

  8. Health & Safety Working Group
    Discussions were around required risk assessments, training needs and the updating of the emergency plan. Cllr Brown and Clerk to complete

  9. Meeting with Izi re: Robin Hood Festival
    Parking - the usual parking enforcements will be in place.
    Toilets - there is no budget allocated for more portaloos.

15/048 AGENDA

  1. Approval of Financial Risk Assessment
    Approved unanimously.

  2. War Memorial Gates
    The Parish Council has received a request to leave the War Memorial gates unlocked. After a discussion it was agreed to unlock the gates whilst council staff are at work.

15/049 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
The Local Government Boundary Commission - Electoral Review of Nottinghamshire County Council Noted
Nottinghamshire County Council - Notts Broadband Connection Voucher Scheme Noted
Nottinghamshire County Council - Better Broadband for Nottinghamshire Update Noted
Newark & Sherwood District Council - Consultation on its Statement of Gambling Policy Noted

15/050 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

Events Working Group
Cllr McLaughlin has requested to be on the Events Working Group. Agreed unanimously

15/051 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

None

15/052 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
03.06.2015 Thoresby Estate River Maun Land Licence £50.00
04.06.2015 Ridgewood Plants Hanging Baskets £1,109.00
16.06.2015 B&Q Plants/Materials £162.75
16.06.2015 SLCC Reference Book £69.00
16.06.2015 Mr & Mrs Rock Allotment Rent Refund £13.20
17.06.2015 Notts ALC Training Course Fee £25.00
22.06.2015 NALC Newsletter Subscription £17.00
22.06.2015 Pets Paradise Bedding Plants £75.45
24.06.2015 Cash Petty Cash £135.06
24.06.2015 Village Hall MC Electricity Charges £102.12
24.06.2015 EvoWeb Edwinstowe Village News £2,165.00
25.06.2015 The Mower Shop Mower Repair £349.18
25.06.2015 Viking Stationary/Copier Paper £74.28
01.07.2015 Town & Country Grass Cutting £2,203.20
06.07.2015 NALC Reference Book £20.99
06.07.2015 PC World Laptop £499.99
07.07.2015 Mrs H Randall Newsletter Delivery £200.00
08.07.2015 Newark & Sherwood District Council Temporary Event Notice Fee £21.00
08.07.2015 Robin Hood Colts Septic Tank Emptying £240.00
08.07.2015 Notcutts Garden Centre Weedkiller £19.99

The Chair made the following comments on the cheques

Hanging Baskets - we receive money from the businesses for hanging baskets which covers the cost but not the cost of the overtime for watering.

The refund for Mr & Mrs Rock was because their allotment was re-let immediately.

Edwinstowe Village News - the rumours recently spread around the village stating that the magazine cost residents £7,000 per year are incorrect. We receive approximately £1,600 from advertising per issue therefore costing £1 per year per residence.

Robin Hood Colts reimburse the cost of their grass cutting to the Parish Council.

The laptop has been purchased as one of the computers has stopped working. We had had the computer for 8 years.

Cheques were approved by all councillors excluding Cllr Starbrook and signed by the Chair.

15/053 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

15/054 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

County Council

The Culture Committee is considering the new Visitor Centre bids, there will be an announcement over the next few weeks. Once chosen the preferred design will need to go through full planning and consultation processes. The new centre should be up and running by 2017.

Robin Hood Line - there was recent meeting with the Chair of Transport & Highways, Mark Spencer MP, NCC Chief Executive and County Councillors to discuss the Robin Hood Line. The Chancellor made an announcement in the summer budget supporting the project. The feasibility study should be received by September.

The Regional Park is continuing to move forward.

District Council

Planning is dominating district council work at the moment with extra planning meetings.

N&S Homes - individual work for residents which has been carried out quite quickly.

15/055 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION - STANDING ORDERS WILL BE SUSPENDED
FOR THE DURATION OF THIS SECTION. PLEASE REFER TO GUIDANCE PROVIDED (ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE PARISH COUNCIL WEBSITE)

Commenced 2003hrs

Questions were asked about the following: -

The amount of time taken up with often repeated queries and examination of local accounts;

Allotments;
Skate Park;
Speeding vehicles;
'A' boards on the High Street specifically near to the Robin Hood statue
A fence that has been placed on Fourth Avenue jitty

Responses are available on request

15/056 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Tuesday 8 September 2015

Reference to the closing of Thoresby Colliery, the Chair extended best wishes to all concerned and reassured the Parish Council will press for the best possible use of the site.

Meeting closed at 2019hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design