Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes January 2014

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 14 January 2014 at 7.00pm in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Cocking, Brooks, Starbrook, Tattersall, Freeman, Benson, J Peck, K Peck, George

Apologies: Cllr Ayre - illness, Cllr Boughey (6 months dispensation)

13/114 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

Updated Village Trail Boards/Banners and commemorative sign for the John Benson Pavillion are currently in the design stage. These are being funded by a Local Improvement Scheme grant from NCC. Councillors will be given an opportunity to approve the designs when they are received. The money must be spent by the end of March 2014.

13/115 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Approved unanimously.

13/116 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr Benson for minute reference 13/127 (ii)

13/117 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 12th November 2013

Approved and signed by the Chairman.

13/118 MATTERS ARISING FROM LAST MEETING

  1. Request for grit bin on Lansbury Road/East Lane junction
    Awaiting response

  2. Pest control at N&S Homes
    The various additional charges imposed by Newark & Sherwood Homes are being discussed further at District Council. The matter is 'in hand' but the process is slow.

  3. Council Tax re-evaluation
    Cllr Cocking had previously raised the issue. If a homeowner has improvements to their property, is it assessed to establish whether the council tax band is changed? The Valuation Office Agency website shows an Improvement Indicator which shows that 'improvements have been made to the property that might result in the Council Tax band changing if a "relevant transaction" takes place, for example, if the property is sold. Cllr Brooks will investigate at N&SDC.

  4. Necessity of locking cemetery
    A discussion took place concerning the necessity of locking the cemetery gates. Does the Parish Council want to take the risk of expense if the cemetery is vandalised? Can access be gained by climbing over the fence? Councillors to check possibility of climbing over fence, agenda item February

  5. Fields in Trust Update
    We have now received the Deeds of Dedication for Jubilee Park and Henton Road Play Area. This means the areas will remain as recreational areas until April 2106.

13/119 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1915hrs

The Chair reminded members of the public that this was not a time for discussion but to ask questions which may be answered during the course of the meeting or in writing at a later date.

  1. Who are the allotment rent fees payable to? - please see agenda item 13/122 (iv)

  2. Regarding locking the cemetery gates, a resident felt it was important not to lock the gates as it was comforting to know visitors can go at any time. Noted

  3. Representative gave further insight to what is planned at 3, 4, 5 & 2 Church Street. The licensing application times seemed excessive but that was to eliminate the need to apply for Temporary Events Notices when extended hours were required. The convenience store (including Bargain Booze) will open 7.30am and close at 9.00pm and the wine bar will open at 12.00 noon and close at 11.30pm. Both the convenience store and the wine bar will complement each other and will be decorated/furnished accordingly. The owners do not wish to attract the younger element.

    The Licensing Application hearing is due to take place this Friday. A planning application has also now been submitted.

Ended 1921hrs

13/120 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1921hrs

Cllr Tattersall reported that the asbestos has now been removed from the garage at Abbey Road.

Cllr Cocking has received complaints about the recent flooding on the road near to Center Parcs. Highways have confirmed that the necessary works have now been completed.

Ended 1924hrs

13/121 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

  1. Edwinstowe Business Forum
    Unfortunately, attendance has dropped recently but this could be due to the time of year. The Business Forum raised some points concerning the Christmas Event for discussion at the next Events meeting. Clerk to circulate minutes and arrange an Events Meeting

  2. Safer Neighbourhood Targets
    Due to the choice of date of the November meeting and the lack of information circulated, Cllrs J Peck and Brooks were unable to attend. Two issues were raised - inconsiderate parking and speeding in the village and antisocial behaviour especially around Fourth Avenue and the Welfare. Cllr J Peck is annoyed at not being informed of the dates/times of the Safer Neighbourhood Meeting. As a district and county councillor he should be invited. Councillors need to be aware of what is happening and what is important to residents.

    Thoresby Welfare is currently being demolished. We have no information of what will happen to the area once the building has been removed. It is sad that it has gone but at least it is not being left empty.

    Cllr Cocking requested we send a letter concerning the large tree on Beardsley Road as it is the roots could undermine the foundations of nearby properties. Agreed unanimously

13/122 AGENDA

  1. Skate Park We were informed on 20th December that work on the skate park would start during w/c 6th January 2014. Posters were displayed in the usual places and a notice was put on the website to inform residents. The work should take approximately 7-10 weeks to complete. Four trees are being relocated to the left of the skate park which will also help with screening. Most of the works will be completed during normal working hours however, depending on weather etc it may be necessary to work on an occasional Saturday. When the concrete is poured, workmen will need to remain on site until it has cured. Events Committee to discuss an opening event. Clerk to order picnic table using Fields in Trust Grant - the contractors will install the seat when delivered

    We are aware of threats that have been made in the past concerning damage that will be done to the skate park. Any incidents will be reported to the police.

  2. Christmas Event feedback
    The event was a fantastic success and the new motif lights looked fantastic. We are looking at purchasing more for this year. C/Cllr Peck has some divisional fund which needs spending by February. Clerk to request a donation for motifs

    Thank you letters have been sent to all relevant parties including Alan at Edwinstowe News and Amby at Forest Holidays.

    Complaints were received as the lights were already switched on when people arrived on the High Street. This was necessary as there are several 'switch on' points and it would be quite difficult to co-ordinate.

  3. Installation of car park barriers at the car park adjacent to the St John's Ambulance Hut
    Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre has installed a barrier on the car park adjacent to the St John's Hut at Forest Corner. The barriers are to control the use of the car park especially during charging periods. It will still remain available for use during school drop off and pick up times.

  4. Ollerton Road Allotments
    At present there are two factions and the Parish Council is caught in the middle. We are not taking sides and are waiting for a call from the Allotment Society Regional Adviser. The Local Council Administration Book states that 'Lettings to allotments associations are now made under the authority's ordinary letting powers.' Clerk to seek clarity of our ordinary letting powers from NALC.

    The Parish Council would like to write to all allotment holders stating that we are trying to resolve the situation without taking sides. We have requested a list of allotment holders names and addresses and audited accounts which we have not received.

    The Clerk to:-
    Find out Parish Council's powers from NALC and Allotment Association
    Agenda for February Meeting
    Get a copy of constitution

    The Chair summarised a letter received from an allotment holder highlighting some of the issues he is currently experiencing.

13/123 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

NAME DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
Nottinghamshire County Council Review of the Notts CC's guidance note on the validation of planning applications Noted
Environment Agency Heating oil tank campaign Noted - on website/notice board
Nottinghamshire County Council 'Fair Deal for Nottinghamshire' campaign Noted - on website/notice board
Bilsthorpe News Director Proposed incinerator for Bilsthorpe *See below
Newark & Sherwood District Council Draft Wind Energy Supplementary Planning Document Consultation Edwinstowe will be held at 6.00pm on 22nd January at Kelham Hall
Abbey Road Centre Thank You Card for recent grant Noted
Elsie Cowley Praise for Village Magazine Noted
Mike Keeling, NCC Highways Peafield Lane Crossing Noted

*An email has been received concerning the proposals for an incinerator, five wind turbines and fields of solar panels at Bilsthorpe. The proposal is to place them on the top of the old pit.

Due to the proximity to Sherwood Forest Region and the site of special scientific interest, this would send the wrong message. It is a big issue for Bilsthorpe and surrounding area and could affect our tourist industry. Edwinstowe has not received any documentation from NCC and therefore have not been properly consulted. We should use the sustainable committees act - we have a right to complain.

Clerk to write to Mike Hankin, NCC requesting information, expressing our concerns and asking why we have not been consulted

13/124 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

None.

13/125 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. Financial Position to end December - circulated prior to the meeting. Noted

  2. Precept for 2014/15

    N&SDC are giving a 'grant' towards this year's precept. This year it amounts to approximately 75% of the grant received last year.

    We are hoping for a 0% rise for 2014/5 as we have managed the finances very well. From 1st April, the workers will be paid the living wage. Due to the diligence and conscientiousness of our staff, we are the envy of several local parish councils.

13/126 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
11.11.13 Flower Room Flowers for Remembrance Service £60.00
18.11.13 DA Williams Electrical Works - Lamp Columns £840.00
18.11.13 AP Design Newsletter Design & Print £2,150.00
18.11.13 Konica Minolta Photocopy Rental £100.37
18.11.13 EVO Web Remembrance Day Leaflet £90.00
22.11.13 Cash Petty Cash £70.58
28.11.13 Location Audio PA System £325.00
28.11.13 Gavin Kenning Christmas Stalls £391.00
02.12.13 DA Williams Addnl Works - Christmas Lights £280.00
02.12.13 Viking Stationery Stationery £30.16
02.12.13 Konica Minolta Photocopy Costs £28.88
02.12.13 Cables Electrical CCTV Recorder Repairs £394.80
02.12.13 Dukeries Singers Christmas Event £80.00
02.12.13 M Godber Punch & Judy £150.00
03.12.13 Cash Petty Cash £193.44
06.12.13 Amazon Snow Plough/Gritter £119.00
06.12.13 N&SDC Car Park Rates 01.04.13-31.03.14 £1,328.25
09.12.13 Cash Petty Cash £78.27
12.12.13 Intervend UK Ltd Water Machine £6.00
12.12.13 Cash Petty Cash £90.00
12.12.13 Central Garage New Clutch for Van £594.00
23.12.13 Doctoremote Taghosting Services £21.60
31.12.13 Village Hall Mgt Committee Electric to 24.12.13 £96.31
02.01.14 Viking Stationery Stationery £29.60
03.01.14 Intervend UK Water Machine Rental £6.00

Approved and signed.

13/127 GRANT APPLICATIONS

There is £250 remaining from the grant fund. After a discussion, it was agreed to share the remaining grant as follows: - (Cllr Benson abstained).

  1. St Mary’s Church - contribution towards the church clock service charge - £125

  2. Edwinstowe Cricket Club - contribution towards costs of new equipment - £125

Grants are usually allocated twice a year in April and October. Due to exceptional circumstances (and the remaining £250), it was agreed to award the above amounts.

13/128 PLANNING MATTERS

See separate planning minutes Here.

13/129 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

District Councillors Report

Current focus is on budgets and the necessary cuts. There is disquiet over the 'hidden charges' from Newark & Sherwood Homes for things such as smoke alarms and pest control.

D/Cllr Brooks will be attending the Licensing Hearing for Bargain Booze on Friday and will be 'calling in' their planning application for consideration.

D/Cllr Brooks is currently working on N&S Homes issues.

County Councillors Report

There are still a few days remaining on the budget consultation. £85m in cuts has been identified over all departments with a further £60m of cuts still to make. Edwinstowe will lose the mobile youth bus which C/Cllr Peck requested when the Youth Club closed down however; he is working behind the scenes to try and find a solution.

C/Cllr Peck has made donations to South Forest Bowls Club and St Mary's Church.

High Street pot holes have been reported.

C/Cllr Peck visited Lyndene recently and was extremely impressed with the homely, family atmosphere and the dedicated workers.

Visitor Centre
Discovery Attraction have been given an ultimatum by NCC. There will be a visitor centre and it will meet the timescales but it will be lower key. C/Cllr Peck is working with the Chair of Cultural Services on the plan which will be revealed in due course.

13/130 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 11th February 2014

Meeting Ended 2050hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design