Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30am - 6.30pm
Thursday: 9.30am - 1.00pm
Friday: 9.30am - 5.30pm
Saturday: 10.00am - 1.00pm
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independent shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes January 2020

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 14 January 2020 at 7pm in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe.

Present: Cllrs Ayre, Brooks, Brown, Murphy, Peacock, J Peck, Rogers and Troop. Cllr K Peck arrived at 8.05pm.

19/113 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting and welcomed all present. Chair would like to raise an agenda item in next month’s meeting regarding the Constitution and number of meetings.

19/114 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Apologies received Cllrs Carlton, Freeman and K Peck.

Apologies accepted.

19/115 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr Murphy item I. Allotments

19/116 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE EXTRAORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 10th DECEMBER 2019

Approved.

Cllr Murphy would like the query regarding the PHS Village Hall payment added into the previous minutes.

Cllr Peacock reported that he had contacted the Chair to give his apologies for December’s meeting and would like the apologies to appear in the December minutes.

Clerk stated that it was understood that apologies should be given to the clerk and not other Councillors.

Cllr Brown asked why apologies could not have been given by ringing the office as the Clerk would have been present to take the call.

The Parish Council agreed to include in the Policy that apologies can be given to other Councillors as a last minute option in extenuating circumstances. The meeting will decide, as usual if those apologies are acceptable.

19/117 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

19/118 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (10 MINUTES)

Cllr Ayre mentioned that Christmas Lights from the Cherry Tree need removing from outside Abbey Road Community Centre, before tree work takes place. Clerk to ask Amenity Supervisor to progress.

Cllr J Peck asked about Market Stall storage situation.

19/119 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

  1. Allotments
    Cllr Ayres reported that Sunday February 9th at 3pm will be suitable for an Allotment members meeting. Clerk to arrange.

    Thoresby Rent increases and water price increases are expected for the allotments. The proposed rises in rents for allotment plot holders were agreed and will be published on the website. Date of next meeting for the Allotment Committee to be 24th March 2020.

    New forms were discussed regarding annual renewal of plots and payment, this was approved unanimously. Price rises to raise a single plot by £2 to £12.50 and a double to £25 for the year, other plots priced accordingly, starting March 25th (Labour Day) 2021 A price comparison with Ashfield District Council has been made who charge a greater amount.

  2. Planning Committee
    Chair reported that Cllr Carlton had voted against a retrospective application for two new temporary access points for construction traffic at the Thoresby Development at the Parish Council’s Planning Committee. In the meeting the Chair and Cllr J Peck could not find a reason to turn down the application under planning law, so a decision was not made.

    Discussion took place that the temporary access points could be made permanent at a later date, and that trees had been removed without consent.

    Cllr Rogers felt the Developers had over stepped the line by under taking work which had no prior consent, and need to be pulled back in line.

    Cllr Peacock will be meeting with Haworth’s and Matt Lamb from NSDC to discuss this issue and others.

    It was agreed that the Chair will write to NSDC regarding these new retrospective proposed temporary access points.

  3. Cemetery Committee
    Cllr Ayre reported that she had met the metal fabricator at the Cemetery who has fixed the entrance gate and will be fixing the shed door. Cemetery Committee to produce a budget, pleased to report the fencing has been completed. Council approved the Press Release regarding the Memorial Bird Boxes. Parish Council would like to hold off from making a decisions regarding the moles.

    Chair has asked that Chair of working groups contact the Clerk with dates of next meeting, Cllr Brown asked that we provide a list of the forthcoming year.

    Chair felt that that all Councillors be Cc’d in future of all committee meetings to all members. Approved.

19/120 AGENDA

  1. Dog Bin Paddock Close
    Chair read out Parish Council waste removal strategy produced by Amenity Supervisor. Parish Council agreed to adopt the strategy which includes emptying of dog bins in-house with increased duties, removing travel time to Newark Tip, removing collection from Cemetery.

    Cllr J Peck double checked that the replacement of Dog Bins with General Waste Bins will be phased in, which was acknowledged by the Clerk.

    Cllr Rogers proposed the new waste removal strategy to be approved, which was seconded by Cllr Peacock who also thanked staff for their initiative. Approved unanimously.

  2. Lidsters Memorial
    Chair reported that Lidsters have been contacted by phone and e-mail, regarding the Thoresby Memorial Stone. Parish Council waiting on a reply.

  3. Robin Hood Colts
    Cllr Peacock reported that he had a meeting with Robin Hood Colts and a local Solar Panel manufacturer with a view to replacing the boilers which are proving costly for Robin Hood Colts to run. Two proposals have been presented, one costing £36,750 and the second £20,000. There is potential for the football club to save £800 each year in costs. S106 monies and a grant application from the Parish Town Community Initiative could pay for the scheme. Parish Council to arrange meeting with Andy Hardy NSDC and Robin Hood Colts within next three weeks.

    Cllr J Peck supports the idea in principle however would not want the Parish Council to make commitments as a lot of questions still need to be answered. Including will the solar panels increase the Parish Councils Insurance for the Building.

  4. Sherwood Forest Trust
    Chair reported that Sherwood Forest Trust had enquired if they could fill out a Parish and Town Council Initiative on the Parish Councils behalf to fund the Trusts annual Woodland Festival event. Chair reported that she was wary that the Parish Council would be asking for money on someone else’s behalf.

    Cllr Brown also suggested that the application could potentially stop other funding bids made by the Parish Council using the same funding initiative.

  5. Free Trees
    Discussion took place regarding possible sites for free 52 trees comprising Rowan and Crab Apple from NSDC.

  6. Book Festival
    Chair reported on a proposal made by NSDC for Edwinstowe to host Newark Book Festival on tour for Saturday April 18th 2020. NSDC will be providing resources to co-ordinate the event. The clerk has agreed to volunteer time for event.

    Cllr J Peck stated that NSDC can ask for a contribution but will not get any from the Parish Council.

    Cllr Rogers put forward that the proposal goes before the Events committee on the 4th February. Parish Council agreed to the event in principle.

  7. Car Parks
    Chair reported that 51 business permits for the Mansfield Road Car Parks have been issued. It was agreed at Decembers Parish Council meeting that Cllrs Carlton, Freeman, J Peck, K Peck, Murphy and the Chair form a Car Park working group to work on the permit scheme.

    Cllr J Peck specified that we need to notify NSDC regarding passes for all the car parks and to make a request for new vinyl covers to replace existing signs.

  8. Friars Park
    Discussion took place regarding a request for membership data for the Friars Park Association. Parish Council agreed that Clerk pass on to NSDC democratic services.

  9. Working Parties
    Cllr Brown requested we have an extra member to join the Health and Safety Committee, Cllrs Ayre and Murphy have joined the working party. Meeting after Planning Committee 11.30am Monday 3rd February.

    Parish Council Finance Committee Meeting agreed to a meeting a week on Monday 27th January 10am.

19/121 Correspondence (COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

  1. NSDC accounts and recharges
  2. Road Works Bulletin – restrictions 14th January
  3. Road Works Bulletin – 8th January & 7th February
  4. Sherwood Forest Trust
  5. Safe Council
  6. RCAN
  7. NCC flooding
  8. EAST MIDLANDS CHARITY AWARDS 2020
  9. Broadband in the Parish
  10. St Mary’s Church Christmas Tree Festival
  11. Funding Book Festival
  12. Village Hall Heating enquiry
  13. Major Oak Pop Choir
  14. NALC Section 137
  15. Enquiry Vape Shop

Chair read a letter from a nine year old resident regarding the new Vape Shop. Whilst it was agreed that there was not anything the Parish Council could do, the Chair has replied to the letter and will pass on this issue to the Parish Councils District Councillors.

Cllr Rogers reported that there is evidence that vaping could be more harmful than cigarettes and it would be very hypercritical to close the shop when we have the pub opposite which sells alcohol another harmful substance.

19/122 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

Chair reported that the Clerk had visited a NatWest Branch but was unable to close the account as he is not a registered signatory. Chair also made the Council aware that many key signatories have since passed away. Chair to visit a Nat West branch with Cllr Ayre to close the account.

Chair has sent letters to Phil Ward regarding revenue due from NSDC and Carolyn Pinder to request S1016 money to be paid into the account.

Cllr Murphy requested that a review at Boy Lane Allotments regarding allotment pricing be made to cover new fencing and grass mowing.

Cllr J Peck proposed to move standing orders as the Parish Council has once again extended over two hours with the Ordinary Meeting.

19/123 INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
06.12.2019 Councillor Imbursement for purchases £43.50
09.12.2019 Flower Room Plants High Street £99.73
09.12.2019 Mansfield Locksmiths Village Hall Lock replacement £194.00
11.12.2019 Trade UK Timber, screws £66.79
11.12.2019 Bilsthorpe Heritage Thoresby Memorial Opening event £100.00
12.12.2019 Staff Salaries 12.12.2019 £4,042.65
27.12.2019 Staff Salaries 27.12.2019 £1,937.44
07.01.2020 Chip Hosting Hosting Renewal £25.00
07.01.2019 North Notts First Responders First Aid Christmas Event £150.00
08.01.2020 NCC Pensions December £1,715.15
08.01.2020 HMRC PAYE/NIC £1,569.35

Cllr Murphy raised issue that the Village Hall Management Committee should pay to replace the lock on the front door which had not been replaced long previously.

Chair believes door would be classed as part of the fabric of the building and would be a Parish Council responsibility.

Cllr Ayre reported that the Local First Responders should be used for the next Christmas Event.

19/124 DIRECT DEBITS FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
02.12.2019 DVLA Tax £22.75
02.12.2019 NSDC Cemetery £60.00
02.12.2019 NSDC Public Convenience £92.00
02.12.2019 NSDC East Lane Car Park £57.00
02.12.2019 NSDC West Lane Car Park £49.00
02.12.2019 NSDC Mansfield Road Car Park £68.00
04.12.2019 UK Fuels Petrol / Diesel £60.93
16.12.2019 Sage Software £19.20
17.12.2019 Central Garage Power Steering / Handbrake £713.26
23.12.2019 Personnel Management Retained Services £120.00
27.12.2019 Better Connected Telecoms £92.18
31.12.2019 Bank Service charge £35.10
31.12.2019 Bank Handling Charge £8.20
02.01.2020 DVLA Tax £22.75
02.01.2020 NSDC Cemetery £60.00
02.01.2020 NSDC Public Convenience £92.00
02.01.2020 NSDC East Lane Car Park £57.00
02.01.2020 NSDC West Lane Car Park £49.00
02.01.2020 NSDC Mansfield Road Car Park £68.00

19/125 INCOME

DATE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
09.12.2019 Cemetery Garden of Rest £460.00
10.12.2019 Magazine Advert £75.00
10.12.2019 Magazine Advert £50.00
11.12.2019 Magazine Advert £50.00
11.12.2019 Magazine Advert £75.00
12.12.2019 Christmas Fair £40.00
12.12.2019 Christmas Stall £20.00
12.12.2019 Christmas Stall £20.00
12.12.2019 Christmas Stall £20.00
12.12.2019 Christmas Trader £30.00
12.12.2019 Christmas Donation £5.00
12.12.2019 Magazine Advert £50.00
12.12.2019 Magazine Advert £100.00
12.12.2019 Magazine Advert £75.00
12.12.2019 Magazine Advert £25.00
16.12.2019 Magazine Advert £75.00
17.12.2019 Cemetery Memorial £200.00
17.12.2019 Cemetery Memorial £150.00
17.12.2019 Cemetery Memorial £50.00
17.12.2019 Cemetery Memorial £50.00
20.12.2019 Cemetery Memorial £150.00
20.12.2019 Cemetery Memorial £50.00
23.12.2019 Magazine Advert £25.00
03.01.2020 Cemetery Bird Box £100.00
07.01.2020 PHS Credit £228.89
Total Magazine Adverts £600.00
Total Other £228.89
Total Cemetery – Memorials £650.00
Total Cemetery – Garden of Rest £460.00
Total Christmas Event £135.00
Total Memorial Bird Box £100.00
Sub Total   £2,173.89

19/126 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; BULLET POINTS TO CLERK)

County Councillor J Peck reported that he had taken up a matter regarding the one way signage outside Woodhead’s. NCC Highways provisional budget has been agreed. A request for Edwinstowe to re-surface Church Street has been approved. West lane to East lane to be resurfaced which will include work to verges. A request for Boy Lane to be resurfaced was not successful. Merryweather Close will be resurfaced on the 10th March subject to weather. Highways Cannot keep up with Pot Holes repairs. Cllr Peck will respond to every pot hole that he sees.

District Councillor Brown reported that a Housing management review is to take place with Newark and Sherwood Homes coming in house. Mansfield Crematorium rates are set to increase. Community Speed watch need volunteers to operate within Edwinstowe and will be publicised. CQC at Kings Mill Hospital with biannual review, Parish and Town Initiative Fund will be open from April, not many applications thus far. Reported increased fly tipping in the area.

Cllr Peacock reported Maythorpe Grove trees have been pollard. NS Homes will be drawing up a scheme to improve First Avenue parking on grass. Regarding CCTV camera has been up three months and NSDC not spent any of the ten thousand on what is to be a redeployable camera. If they want a permanent camera will need to erect another post in a Conservation area which will be difficult. There will be a Homes and communities meeting next week, on the agenda will be a recommendation to review all CCTV to include a cost / benefit analysis. Requested to speak to NSDC regarding business rates which seem high. Attended a Destination Management Committee Meeting which will report back on. Meeting with Planners regarding Thoresby Development second phase and additional access points issues will be raised with Barret Homes. Solar Farm scheme in place for planting screening will be done in this planting period.

District Councillor Carlton reported that he had recently held discussions with Inspector Heather Sutton and PC Palmer, over recent issues in and around Edwinstowe and the wider ward, relating to vehicle thefts/stealing from vans/speeding/fly-tipping/drug misuse and ASB, whilst lobbying for greater resources for the area. Extra additional patrols have been promised, and already started and this will include an unmarked car patrol. I have provided a link to Notts Police website for further details on Crime Prevention Methods. www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/advice/prevention

Again from discussions with PC Palmer, Notts Police will be very shortly conducting a specific day of action, which will be multi agency (Fire and Rescue, Via etc.) in relation to speeding and other motoring offences. A date hasn’t been released for reasons, but this will be targeted in multiple locations, warning/educating roads users of the dangers of speeding, and other vehicle related issues like road tax, insurance, vehicle worthiness etc. Naturally it may also catch some in the act.

Multiple fly tips including Swinecote Road, Mill Lane, Mansfield Road have been reported and actioned for investigation and clean up.

Following on the last Parish Planning Committee I have called in planning application 19/02159/FUL.

I have ordered a quantity of stickers for recycling bins, as well as leaflets and begun discussions over enhancing our recycling provision in the village, which once furthered I will bring back to the Chair of the Environment Committee.

19/127 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION - STANDING ORDERS WILL BE SUSPENDED
FOR THE DURATION OF THIS SECTION. PLEASE REFER TO GUIDANCE PROVIDED (ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE PARISH COUNCIL WEBSITE) - 15 MINS

19/128 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 11th February 2020 AT 7.00 PM

Meeting ended at: 9.30pm.

Web Design by JKE Web Design