Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes February 2012

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on 14 February 2012 in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Brooks, Cocking, J Peck, Starbrook, Benson, Tattersall, Ayre, George, Freeman

Apologies: Cllr K Peck - prior commitment and Cllr Boughey - ill-health

11/132 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

Update - Andy Mellors
Andy had his operation on 26th January and has been signed off work until at least 23rd March. The Clerk is in regular contact with him.

11/133 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Apologies were accepted and approved.

11/134 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr Cocking for any discussion concerning East Lane.

11/135 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 10th January 2012

Minutes were approved unanimously and signed accordingly by the Chair.

11/136 MATTERS ARISING FROM LAST MEETING

None.

11/137 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

None.

11/138 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES) - commenced 1905hrs

Cllr Starbrook had received complaints from members of the public concerning dog fouling around the village especially the Old Rufford School site. One dog walker in particular becomes aggressive when asked to clean up after his dog. This same walker is removing stakes that are supporting the newly planted saplings and throwing them for his dog. Other areas of concern are the Birkland Estate and Henton Road area. Agenda item for March

Finished 1910hrs

11/139 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE,
WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

  1. Cemetery Working Group
    There are no major areas of concern in the cemetery, David and Kevin have trimmed all the trees and will be re-roofing the shed when the weather gets better. Thanks expressed to David and Kevin for all their hard work.

  2. Events Working Group
    The Working Group proposed holding the Big Edwinstowe Picnic on the field next to the Fun Park on Sunday 3rd June between 12.00pm and 4.00pm. There will be a cricket match, live music and an event in Sherwood Forest on that day. Stalls will be offered to local organisations and businesses. Nottinghamshire County Council has agreed to advertise the event in their Event Programme which will hopefully reach a wider audience.

  3. Finance Committee
    Cllr Peck requested that agenda item11/140ii CCTV be included - agreed.

    The Parish Council had already approved to increase the precept by 3%, which is below inflation; the main reason is to increase the reserve accounts whilst keeping the budget as tight as possible.

    Cllr Peck proposed decommissioning the CCTV at the Health Centre and installing a system to cover the Village Hall and Mansfield Road Car Park. Quotes for the works amount to £2,000; this is less than the current annual CCTV monitoring costs paid to the District Council. It would also mean we would save the annual charge for monitoring costs.

    Cllr Peck formally proposed CCTV, security fencing and lighting for the Village Hall and decommissioning the current system at the Health Centre but only after he has spoken to the relevant person to ascertain whether they would take over the monitoring costs. Cllr Tattersall seconded - approved unanimously. Cllr Peck to contact Health Centre and inform Clerk

    Cllr Brooks reported that there had been another burst at the Football Pavillion.

  4. Newsletter Editorial Meeting
    So far we have received £1,375 in advertising income however; we do need more advertisers in order to cover our costs. We have received many article contributions from various groups and organisations around the village proving that the magazine is popular. The Parish Council needs to be prepared to subsidise the magazine - agreed unanimously

11/140 AGENDA

  1. Roads, Mill Lane & East Lane
    Mill Lane - the second tube count (temporary speed sign) on Mill Lane has had to be delayed due to adverse weather. It will be replaced around Easter. Cllr Tattersall has been contacted by a Mill Lane resident who would like a permanent speed sign to be placed at the site. He was advised to collect signatures.

  2. CCTV - Update
    See agenda item 11/139 iii

  3. Meeting Dates
    The current list of dates runs out in March. Meeting dates from May 2012 will be agreed at the AGM in May. The meeting approved the date for the April meeting - Thursday 12th and the Annual Parish Meeting as Monday 30th April 7.00pm - 8.00pm. It was agreed to ask Dr Patrick Candler to attend to speak about the New Visitor Centre, tourism and the Olympic Torch Relay. Clerk to invite Dr Candler

  4. Business Forum - Arts Festival
    Planning for the Arts Festival is progressing well. The Totally Locally campaign (to encourage residents to support local businesses) will be formally launched on 3rd March. The Chair requested it be formally minuted that the Parish Council are happy to be working alongside the Edwinstowe Business Forum to promote interest in Edwinstowe.

  5. Resident Letter - Anti Social Behaviour
    An email had been received concerning antisocial behaviour.

    "I have been a resident and a local business owner for 10 years. I have seen a once peaceful village decline rapidly to a rowdy and frankly unwelcoming village, packed full of abusive youths and anti social behaviour.

    Many times we have been targeted, I've lost count the amount of times we've had our window smashed, abuse or snow balls thrown violently at our property.

    What can I do to help combat this? As a resident of the village of 10 years, I am saddened to see the drastic decline. During a massive economic decline, local business owners are struggling and we've seen several businesses open and close in a short space of time. How are local businesses supposed to survive if we're having to tackle ASB and struggling business!

    I have identified a few recent youths causing trouble for ourselves. They are between 15-18 and are a mixture of females and males. I can identify these youths.

    This cannot continue, it is detrimental to the local businesses, residents and quality of life."

    After a discussion it was agreed to send a letter of support to the resident encouraging them to contact police each time the incidents occur this will enable the police get an idea of the frequency of the incidents. Clerk to write letter

    The meeting appreciates the local police, especially the PCSO has a huge responsibility and minimal time and resources to cover the area they have to cover.

11/141 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

Notts County Council Information Pack, Emergency Flood Risk Note
Notts County Council Minerals, Local Plan Consultation Noted
Notts County Council Developing a Nottinghamshire Approach to Localism Noted - copy to Cllr Cocking
NHS Sherwood Forest Hospital Trust Win a £100 Voucher of your choice by supporting your Local Hospital Noted
Newark & Sherwood District Council Annual Parish Conference Monday 1st October 2012 Noted
Newark & Sherwood District Council Training on the Revised Ethical Framework - Wednesday 21st March 2012 Kelham Hall Noted
Nottinghamshire Police Authority Notts police 2012/13 Budget & Precept Proposal. Have Your Say Noted
CPRE A Guide to Neighbourhood Planning Noted
Notts County Council Local Improvement Scheme Event 15th May 2012 Newark Showground Noted

11/142 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR SUB-COMMITTEES OR
OTHER BODIES

None.

11/143 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

None.

11/144 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
04.01.2012 Cash Petty Cash £106.83
09.01.2012 Tuxford Road Garage Petrol/Diesel £151.00
12.01.2012 PV Fox Magazine Delivery £137.50
12.01.2012 Ap Design Additional magazines £150.00
16.01.2012 Thoresby Youth Band Christmas Donation £50.00
26.01.2012 Viking Direct Stationary £62.95
26.01.2012 Oak Industrial Equipment £185.39
26.01.2012 Swift Fire & Security Final Payment £75.30
26.01.2012 SAS Trade & DIY Equipment £29.10
26.01.2012 Blachere 2011 Christmas Lights £2,199.00
26.01.2012 Tuxford Rd Garage Petrol/Diesel £80.32
26.01.2012 Village Hall Mgt Committee Electric to 26.01.2012 £89.11
26.01.2012 N&SDC Car Park Rates £1,226.93
01.02.2012 Ken Mafham Cllr George Planning Trg £25.00
31.01.2012 Oak Industrial Supplies Disinfectant £24.41
19.12.2011 N&SDC CCTV Monitoring Fee £2,602.80
31.01.2012 SAS Trade & DIY Equipment £5.85
03.02.2012 N&SDC 2 x Places Localism Seminar £20.00
31.01.2012 Intervend Water Machine Rental £7.20
16.01.2012 NALC Annual Subscription £693.80

Cheques approved and signed.

11/145 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

11/146 PLANNING MATTERS March/April 2012

It was agreed to hold the Planning Committee meetings half an hour before the ordinary meeting.

Update
Edwinstowe News - plans for flats have been approved by the Parish Council but are still with District Council pending consideration. The Enforcement Officer is in regular contact with the owner to replace the broken windows.

Dukeries Lodge
Cllr Brooks has contacted planning department with regard to the recent refurbishments. An officer will be visiting the premises in the near future.

11/147 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

Both Councillors, John Peck and Celia Brooks continue to attend all meetings of the District Council and of the Committees on which they serve. At the most recent full Council meeting your Councillors were disappointed to learn that the rise in rents proposed by Newark and Sherwood Homes was to be over 8%.

It was also learned that a Cabinet decision had been made on the proposed rise and this could not be challenged or debated at full Council. Councillor Peck had raised questions at the Policy Scrutiny and Overview Committee previously but all to no avail. We both feel that such an over-inflation rent rise in these difficult economic times is not appropriate or fair.

We continue to work for people who come to us with an individual enquiry. These have included planning, licensing, highways and Newark and Sherwood Homes issues. We are also aware of policing problems, including anti-social behaviour and are seeking to strengthen the Safer Neighbourhood Group to allow representatives from as many organisations in the Village as possible to make a contribution to this group. We feel that all voices in the Village can and should be heard and that by working together we have the best chance of ensuring that Edwinstowe is a safe and secure place in which to live, work or go to school.

Please get in touch with us if you have anything you think we might help you with.

Both District Councillors have delivered leaflets to all residences affected by the rent increase. There was no opportunity given to the District Councillors to offer an alternative solution. Cllr Peck moved that Edwinstowe Parish Council formally object to the 8.7% rise in the council rents, seconded Cllr Tattersall - approved unanimously

The recent snow and cold weather was discussed and it was agreed that the Parish Council would review the situation for next winter well in advance.

11/148 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: THURSDAY 13 March 2012

Web Design by JKE Web Design