Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes September 2011

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on 13 September 2011 in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Tattersall, Brooks, Starbrook, Cocking, Benson, Boughey, Ayre

Apologies: Cllrs George (training course), Freeman (family commitments)

11/064 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

  1. December Meeting Date
    Last year, because of the adverse weather conditions, the Parish Council did not hold a meeting in December however; some Councillors felt due to the amount of business that had accumulated, a meeting would have been worthwhile. After a discussion Cllr Benson proposed holding a meeting if necessary, seconded - Cllr Starbrook. Unanimous

  2. Local Development Framework
    Deferred to agenda item 11/079.

New Proposal Sherwood Forest Visitors Centre - Dr Patrick Candler

NCC are still committed to creating a new, exciting, innovative all weather, all year round Visitor Centre. Due to a reduction in the funding available (now £5.2m), the new proposal, which is being put to Cabinet on 14th September is to invite applications from interested parties who will work in partnership with NCC. The process to agree a partner is expected to take 6-9 months.

The business objectives which will guide the process are:

Regular updates will be given to the Parish Council during the process.

Cllr J Peck felt it important not to miss this opportunity to create a new visitor centre that would promote Edwinstowe as the gateway village to Sherwood Forest and the legend of Robin Hood. It is also important for the local businesses and economy to get some 'spin-off' from the new development.

Dr Candler responded - The vision for the new visitor centre/attraction is: -

"To create a new visitor attraction which promotes and enhances the global reputation of Sherwood Forest, the legend of Robin Hood and the broader history and heritage of Nottinghamshire"

There were some concerns whether the new development would be a 'theme park' however; restrictions were placed on the land when it was sold by Thoresby Estates which would not allow this.

There are no plans to close Swinecote Road but there will need to be a method to allow the safe crossing from the Naish's Field site to Sherwood Forest.

Cllr Brooks asked whether visitors could use the facilities i.e. restaurant and toilets etc without having to pay an admission fee.

Cllr J Peck asked whether Lottery funding had been reconsidered as the previous application had been for a national competition.

Dr Candler asked for feedback concerning the recent Robin Hood Festival which this year ran for five days instead of seven and involved the closure of Swinecote Road. NCC considered this year to be a success with over 20,000 visitors.

Feedback so far - as follows:

Councillors were asked to give any further feedback to Alice to be passed on.

1930hrs Dr Candler left the meeting

11/065 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Cllr George - work commitments
Cllr Freeman - family commitments
All apologies were approved and accepted.

11/066 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr Benson - grant application, Sherwood Forest Ploughing Match

11/067 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 12th July 2011

Minutes were approved and signed as accurate

11/068 MATTERS ARISING FROM LAST MEETING

None.

11/069 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

Mr Parkhouse requested support from the Parish Council for an ongoing application to reopen public rights of way - some of which pass through Edwinstowe Parish. Agenda item 11/073

11/0070 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Cllr Tattersall recently carried out an audit of all the seats in the village with David Stocken. Two were considered in poor condition and unsafe; the one outside the Co-op (belongs to NCC) and one halfway along Rufford Road (belongs to the Parish Council). NCC have removed the bench from outside the Co-op. The remaining seats will be repainted. Clerk to enquire with NCC about possible replacement of Co-op bench if required.

Cllr Brooks asked the meeting to consider whether the bench on Rufford Road needs to be replaced and feedback at next meeting. Agenda - October

There was a discussion about offering residents the opportunity to place memorial benches in alternative locations around the village. Clerk to give option when requests received

Cllr Cocking asked whether the 'clean up after your dog' signs were visible and sufficient in the Henton Road dog park.

Concluded 1945hrs

11/071 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE,
WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

  1. Personnel & Staffing
    Move to Confidential

  2. Sherwood Fields - Cllr J Peck
    An agreement has now been reached with Robin Hood Colts and the pavillion has been handed over to the club on a long-term lease.
    The Chairman congratulated all concerned.

  3. Police Report & Safer Neighbourhood Group (SNG) - SNG agenda item 11/079
    Crime statistics for July and August were shared with the meeting. Beat surgeries now take place once per month in the Village Hall. These will be advertised in the noticeboards including Abbey Road.

  4. Residents & Tenants Association
    Agenda item 11/079

11/072 AGENDA

  1. Disabled access in Edwinstowe
    Cllr Brooks has been approached by one resident who would like to ensure all businesses comply with legal requirements concerning disability. The Equality Act 2010 gives disabled people important rights of access to everyday services. Service providers have an obligation to make reasonable adjustments to premises or to the way they provide a service. Sometimes it just takes minor changes to make a service accessible. Cllr Ayre has experience of various solutions and will act as a consultant for businesses where required. Clerk to write to all businesses

  2. Village Newsletter
    Requests for Councillors to form Newsletter Working Group - Agreed Cllrs J Peck and Cocking There is a meeting with the Editor of the Roundabout on Monday at 11.00am - noted

  3. Date for Christmas Event
    It was agreed to hold this year's Christmas event on Thursday 8th December.

  4. Fire Service Review - Cllr J Peck
    The preferred option by the Fire Authority includes having full-time fire station in Edwinstowe. This is currently out for consultation (ending 23rd October), final decision in December. It is very important for residents to respond to the proposals and they can either complete a questionnaire online at www.notts-fire.gov.uk or from the consultation document which are available from the Parish Council, Library and Doctors Surgery. A freepost envelope is provided. Clerk to order more copies of consultation document and 'advertise' in noticeboards (including Abbey Road)

    Cllr Cocking asked whether letters of support would be accepted. Clerk to check

    Councillors will take copies to next Saturday surgery on High Street for completion. Agenda item for October

    Cllr J Peck stressed that a full-time fire station would have implications for the Retained Firefighters in Edwinstowe. The Parish Council hope even though the proposal is to make Edwinstowe a full-time station, the authority will use the opportunity to use the skills of the retained firefighters.

  5. Henton Road Site Meeting
    Awaiting a quote for replacement wooden gates for the dog walking park Agenda October

  6. Highways Feedback
    Cllr Brooks & J Peck - agenda item 11/079

11/073 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

NAME DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
NCC Waste Core Strategy Noted
Nottinghamshire Police Update Proposal Police Premises Noted
RCAN Playing Fields News Letter Noted
NCC Highways Information re replacement street lights Agenda Item 11/079
NCC Highways Speed restriction site visit Mill Lane Agenda Item 11/079
NCC Highways Tree planting on the Highway Agenda Item 11/079
NCC Response from Mr Anthony May Move to Confidential
N&SDC Playground Inspection Noted
Royal Horticultural Society Britain in Bloom Noted
NCC Response to Letter re Care Line Noted

11/074 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR SUB-COMMITTEES OR
OTHER BODIES

  1. Major Oak Practise Management Committee
    Cllrs Tattersall, Ayre and Starbrook recently attended the above meeting, as residents and not Parish Councillors. They will feed back relevant information to the Parish Council as necessary.

  2. Unscheduled Meeting of Youth Provision Working Group
    The Group is currently working on a matched funding application - deadline 23rd September. Need to have a public consultation to look at various sites and options.

11/075 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

None.

11/076 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
19.07.2011 Leslie Tipping Burial Grasses £328.98
21.07.2011 Intervend UK Ltd Water Machine Exps £21.60
21.07.2011 SAS Trade & DIY Equipment £43.25
21.07.2011 Town & Country June - Grass Cutting £1,312.80
21.07.2011 Universal Fabrications Repair to Sherwood Fields Gate £84.00
22.07.2011 SAGE UK Ltd Annual Subscription £180.00
15.08.2011 St John's Ambulance Cover for High Street Event £40.00
16.08.2011 Hall-Fast Waterproof Clothing £76.13
16.08.2011 Intervend UK Ltd Water Machine Rental £6.00
16.08.2011 Konica Minolta Photocopy Charges £43.48
16.08.2011 N&SDC Election Costs £3,858.61
16.08.2011 County Supplies Stationery £39.30
16.08.2011 SAS Trade & DIY Equipment £12.45
16.08.2011 Sherwood Community Bus Summer Event £16.00
16.08.2011 Town & Country July - Grass Cutting £1,342.80
16.08.2011 Viking Stationery Stationery & Maintenance Supplies £176.51
16.08.2011 Tuxford Garage July Petrol/Diesel £117.64
25.08.2011 JPK Services Billy Goat Bag (Leaf Collector) £131.00
31.08.2011 Sharpline Decorators Work at Pavillion - Flood Damage £4,458.00
31.08.2011 SPA Electrical Work at Pavillion - Flood Damage £2,106.00
02.09.2011 CPRE Annual Subscription £29.00
02.09.2011 Town & Country August - Grass Cutting £1,342.80
02.09.2011 N&SDC Playground Inspection £36.80
02.09.2011 Severn Trent Water Mansfield Road Toilets £93.32
02.09.2011 County Supplies Stationery/Litter Bins/Brush Heads £192.24
02.09.2011 British Telecom Telephone/Broadband £484.91

Cheques approved and signed.

11/077 GRANT APPLICATIONS

Cllrs J Peck, Brooks, Benson declared an interest in Home-Start.
Cllr Benson declared an interest in Citizens Advice Bureau

  1. Thoresby Colliery Band - £500

  2. Ollerton Citizen Advice Bureau - £1,000

  3. Ploughing Match - £100

  4. Home-Start - £1,000

There is only £1,250 remaining in the grant allocation. The meeting agreed to look at all applications together. There was a general discussion around how much to allocate to each organisation.

Thoresby Band - Cllr Boughey proposed £500, seconded Cllr Tattersall - Vote 6 for, 3 against

Home-Start, Cllr Cocking proposed £500, seconded Cllr Ayre - Vote 4 for, 3 abstentions, 2 against

Sherwood Ploughing Match - Cllr Tattersall proposed £50, seconded Cllr Boughey - Vote 8 for, 1 abstention

Ollerton Citizen Advice Bureau - agreed to allocate the balance remaining - £200

11/078 PLANNING MATTERS

Planning Applications

1. Application No: 11/01075/FUL
Applicant: Mr G Oliver
Proposal: Demolition of Existing Porch. Two Storey Rear Extension, Replacement Roof
Site Address: 59 High Street
EPC DECISION: APPROVED BY PARISH COUNCIL SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS

2. Application No: 11/01117/FUL
Applicant: Dr C Partridge
Proposal: Change of Use from Retail to Chiropractic Clinic
Site Address: 47 High Street
EPC DECISION: APPROVED BY PARISH COUNCIL SUBJECT TO THE COMMENTS AS PER THE ATTACHED LETTER

3. Application No: 11/01087/FUL
Applicant: Mr M Broomhead
Proposal: Demolition of Existing Bungalow and Erection of One Bungalow and 2 Houses
Site Address: 20 Church Street
EPC DECISION: REFUSED BY PARISH COUNCIL FOR THE FOLLOWING COMMENTS:

Other Matters

N&SDC Licensing & Enforcement Department
Applicant: Enterprise Inns
Proposal: To permit structural alterations and extend Licensing Activities to new areas
Site Address: Royal Oak Public House
EPC DECISION: NOTED AND APPROVED

11/079 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

To include:

Agenda item 11/064 - Local Development Framework
Agenda item 11/071 (item iii) - Safer Neighbourhood Group
Agenda item 11/071 (item iv) - Residents and Tenants Association
Agenda item 11/072 (item vi) - Highways Feedback

Contrary to information given by C/Cllr Ward at July Meeting, a member of the public had recently tried to contact him and was told that due to ill health he was unable to help. Noted

  1. Highways
    Six issues were raised with the Highways Officer this week however; due to legislation and despite pressure from both Parish and District Councillors, NCC will not proceed with any of the enquiries. They will however gather further information on Mill Lane with regard to traffic numbers and speeds.

  2. Local Development Framework
    Implications for Edwinstowe are that there needs to be an additional 121 houses built by 2026. There is to be a public consultation which will identify areas of land. Nothing has been decided yet. All councillors need to attend the meeting - details will be advertised when agreed. The Parish Council hope that as many members of the public as possible will attend.

  3. Tenants & Residents Association Meeting
    Despite being advertised on the Nottinghamshire Tenants & Residents Association website as a general meeting, tonight's meeting was a committee meeting. There are concerns that the meetings are not being publicised widely enough with all tenants and residents in the village.

  4. Safer Neighbourhood Group - (SNG)
    This is not advertised very well which is a concern as it is an opportunity for residents from all parts of Edwinstowe to discuss their concerns with the local police team and help to agree three police priorities.

    D/Cllrs are expected to attend however, meeting dates have been arranged which coincide with District Council meetings so neither D/Cllr can participate.

    D/Cllr Brooks has asked for the SNG Chairman to inform the Parish Council of meeting dates so posters can be displayed around the village and on the website to encourage more residents to attend.

    Residents had approached Cllr Ayre as they thought the SNG was a Neighbourhood Watch meeting. This is incorrect - Neighbourhood Watch is a completely separate meeting.

11/080 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 11 October 2011

Meeting Closed at 2105hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design