Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes October 2015

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 13 October 2015 at 7.00pm in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Ayre, Brooks, Brown, McLaughlin, Peacock, J Peck, K Peck, Starbrook

Apologies: Cllrs Benson & Cocking - illness, Cllr Tattersall - family commitments

15/074 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting, welcomed all present and made the following announcements: -

There are several meetings coming up, for Councillors only - public meetings will follow in due course

  • 14th October - Development of Fourth Avenue play area with N&SDC Officers
  • 15th October - Development of Fourth Avenue play area with CISWO
  • 19th October - Community-led Plan with Karen Tarburton RCAN
  • 21st October - Development of Edwinstowe House with Woodhead representatives
  • 2nd November - Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre with RSPB, NCC, Sherwood Forest Trust representatives

15/075 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Apologies were approved unanimously

15/076 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr McLaughlin 15/080 (iv) Allotments
Cllr Brooks 15/088 Planning

15/077 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 8th September 2015

Minutes approved and signed by the Chair

15/078 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

None.

15/079 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Cllr Starbrook reported that the work on the Jug and Glass has started and the rear of the premises is being tidied.

Cllr Peacock asked whether the Parish Council has a policy for glass recycling or uses ROB. Clerk to investigate

Cllr Peacock asked whether a letter could be sent concerning removing the 'cages' from the trees on High Street, West Lane, Mansfield Road as some of the trees are growing into the metal. Clerk to write letter

Cllr McLaughlin reported that the gate to the Edwinstowe Cricket Club is now being locked to prevent vehicles gaining access to the site.

Cllr Ayre commented on how lovely the street furniture on the High Street looks. Thanks to David for his hard work.

Cllr Brown requested an update on the banners and signs on the High Street. Clerk to write to N&SDC Planning

Cllr K Peck asked whether the Parish Council could send a copy of the conservation rules to relevant landlords etc. Clerk to arrange

Ended 1909hrs

15/080 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

Available from Parish Council Office.

  1. Restructure of Working Groups
    The Clerk has started a professional development course and is already gaining some useful information including how our committees etc should be structured. Our Allotment and Cemetery Working Groups should be sub-committees Clerk to amend records where appropriate

  2. Safer Neighbourhood Group
    The Chair of the group has resigned and it has been agreed that Cllrs brooks and J Peck will co-chair this group now. The issues discussed at the last meeting were relating to speeding and parking around the village. A temporary speed sign has been installed on Mill Lane and will remain for approximately 3 months.

    There have been other incidents in Edwinstowe including burning dustbins, stealing from gardens on Beardsley Road and Gaitskell Crescent and a burglary on Fourth Avenue. Cllr Brooks to take to Local Action Group at N&SDC

    It was suggested that the crime statistics were published on the village website, with explanations where applicable. Clerk to arrange

  3. Events
    The Christmas event organisation is ongoing. Help will be needed for setting up/clearing away on the day.

    Cllr McLaughlin is working with Phil Jones (RBL) on organising Remembrance Sunday and developing the parade for future years.

  4. Allotments - Cllr McLaughlin left the meeting
    Cllr Ayre read a report to the meeting following the recent site meeting and a general update.

    We have had a request from an allotment holder for a copy of the site plan and waiting list, which has been declined.

    It was agreed to put allotment rent prices to be put on the village website: -
    250 sq. metres - £17.60
    375 sq. metres - £22.90
    500 sq. metres - £28.20
    Clerk to organise

    The meeting accepted the allotment reports and their recommendations.

    Cllr McLaughlin returned to the meeting.

15/081 AGENDA

  1. Use of Council Chambers for King's Clipstone Village Council Meetings
    After a discussion it was agreed for King's Clipstone Village Council to hold their meetings in the Council Chambers October - February. This will be a temporary arrangement. It was unanimously agreed to charge a notional sum to cover utility costs.

  2. Twinning
    Cllrs Brooks and Tattersall met with a representative of Robiac-Rochessadoule who would like to twin with Edwinstowe as their village is similar to ours. If the twinning comes to nothing, the Mayor would still like to visit Edwinstowe.

    It was agreed that the wine that was presented to the Parish Council at the recent visit, could be given to the staff for their Christmas lunch.

  3. Meeting with Notts County Council & RSPB re: new Visitor Centre
    As previously stated, this is not a public meeting, no plans have been submitted yet. There will be a public meeting in due course.

  4. Policies
    Cllr Brooks proposed adopting the policies - Dealing with abusive, persistent or vexatious complaints, complainants and correspondence.

    It is important for members of the public to scrutinise Parish Council records but this policy safeguards officers.

    And the Filming of public meetings policy. Cllr Brown requested changing Chairman to Chair and to alter 4.3.1 to The Council will make this decision.

    Agreed 7 for and 1 abstention. Cllr McLaughlin requested more time to look at the policies. Adopting the policies have been voted on but any comments will be welcome.

    It was agreed for policies to be put on the village website.

    Clerk to circulate the Retention of Documents Policy for approval at next meeting.

  5. Clerk Qualification
    This is a Certificate in Local Council Administration which helps raise awareness of the law and procedures for local councils and the planning system. Once the qualification has been gained, the Parish Council can apply to become a Quality Council.

  6. Staffing Matters - Meeting Date
    The process of staff reviews is ongoing. A personnel sub-committee meeting needs to be arranged. Clerk to arrange meeting

  7. Skate Park
    Extensive repairs to the wooden section have been carried out, including ventilation holes to improve airflow. When the skate park was built, the Parish Council was assured that major repairs would not be necessary for at least five years. There should be a guarantee or responsibility on the manufacturers. After a discussion it was agreed to write to NCC. Clerk to write letter

    It was agreed to source a local carpenter to carry out future repairs. The cost of the repairs will be taken out of s106 monies.

    A user of the skate park would like to meet councillors to discuss ideas for the skate park. Clerk to arrange - Wednesdays after 12.00pm

  8. Community Led Plan Meeting
    There will be an article in the next magazine about the community-led plan including a questionnaire concerning the projects that the Parish Council are currently working on and whether there is anything else that residents would like the Parish Council to consider.

15/082 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
NSDC - Consultation on N & S Local Development Framework Plan Review Issues Paper The consultation takes place between October 5th and November 16th 2015. Comments can be made on www.newark-sherwooddc.gov.uk/planreview or at 4 local consultation events - the closest for Edwinstowe is at Ollerton library on Saturday October 24th - 9.30am - 12.30pm. Place on website and letter in noticeboard.
NCC - Integrated Tobacco Control Services in Nottinghamshire Noted
Notts Police & Crime Commissioner - Update on Rural Crime Initiatives in Nottinghamshire Noted
NCC - State of the Voluntary & Community Sector in Nottinghamshire Noted

15/083 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

None.

15/084 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. Six Months Financial Position
    Details circulated to all councillors prior to the meeting. Clerk to arrange a finance committee meeting. The Parish Council did pledge to freeze the precept but financial pressures could mean there will be a rise in future years. There will probably be a large external audit bill this year due to objections raised with the external auditors by two residents.

  2. External Audit
    The Chair read a letter from the external auditors - 'We confirm that in relation to Edwinstowe Parish Council, that as at the statutory publication date of 30 September 2015 no audit opinion has as yet been issued in relation to the statement of accounts for the year ended 31 March 2015.'

15/085 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
08.09.2015 Village Hall Management Committee Gas Charges £15.27
08.09.2015 Phs Controlled Waste Collection £86.34
08.09.2015 Notts County Supplies Broom £11.52
08.09.2015 Cash Petty Cash £92.01
09.09.2015 Dukeries Gas Boiler Service £70.00
14.09.2015 B&Q Supplies/Materials £53.66
17.09.2015 CCTC Ltd Christmas Tree Lights £173.58
18.09.2015 Viking Stationery £59.89
21.09.2015 Village Hall Management Committee Electricity Charges £98.23
22.09.2015 Cox Joinery Skatepark Repair £400.00
29.09.2015 Central Garage Van Repairs £66.40
29.09.2015 Town & Country Grass Cutting £1,420.80

Cheques were approved and signed by the Chair.

15/086 GRANT APPLICATIONS

Cllr J Peck declared an interest in i) and ii), Cllr McLaughlin declared an interest in iv).

After a discussion, councillors agreed by majority to award the following grants;

  1. Kind Edwin Primary School - £250
  2. The Dukeries Academy - £100
  3. Sherwood & Newark CAB - £500
  4. Edwinstowe Village Hall MC - £150

Clerk to write cheques.

15/087 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

District Council

D/Cllr Brooks has been dealing with planning matters - meetings of the task and finish group looking into N&SDC Local Development Plan. (There are not many changes for Edwinstowe)

D/Cllr Peacock - there is a grant scheme available which looks at investing in growth and businesses. D/Cllr Peacock to provide link for website

County Council

The Robin Hood Line is making progress, further work is needed on the feasibility study. The project will rely on NCC funding and whatever is available from the Government Growth Fund.

C/Cllr Peck is receiving queries from residents about the impact of the new centre. Questions raised will be taken to the meeting on 2nd November.

C/Cllr Peck attended a meeting about Sherwood Forest Regional Park. The launch has been postponed until 2016.

The resurfacing of High Street is in the plan for next year, however the final decision will be made in February 2016. The resurfacing of Fourth Avenue pavement is on the reserve list.

15/088 PLANNING

PLANNING APPLICATIONS

1. Application No: 15/01716/OUT
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Marsden
Proposal: Demolition of garage and proposed erection of 1 No dormer bungalow
Site Address: Land to the rear of 24 Robin Hood Avenue, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: Support Proposal

Cllr Brooks returned to the meeting.

15/089 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION - STANDING ORDERS WILL BE SUSPENDED
FOR THE DURATION OF THIS SECTION. PLEASE REFER TO GUIDANCE PROVIDED (ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE PARISH COUNCIL WEBSITE) - 15 MINS

Commenced 2047hrs

A resident of Rufford Road thanked the Parish Council, especially Cllr Brooks for her help when the gas repair works on Rufford Road caused chaos for motorists.

A resident suggested that the website is promoted in the newsletter as it is an excellent way to disseminate information.

A suggestion was made for local schools to rent an allotment as the cost was so reasonable.

Speeding vehicles on Swinecote Road was raised and the importance of looking at the issue before the new visitor centre is built. Also the issue of no dropped kerbs for wheelchair users. To be raised at meeting on 2nd November.

A resident questioned the cost of this year’s external audit and whether it could be claimed back from the objectors. An example of one of the objections was shared at the meeting - 'Why isn't the Cenotaph on the asset register?' The answer to which is that it is called the War Memorial.

Standing Orders were reinstated.

15/090 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Tuesday 10 November 2015

Meeting closed at 2100hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design