Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes March 2012

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on 13 March 2012 in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Tattersall, Brooks, Benson, Cocking, Boughey, J Peck, K Peck and Starbrook

Apologies: Cllrs George and Ayre - prior commitments
No apologies received from Cllr Freeman at the meeting, apologies received later (family illness)

11/149 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

  1. Works on Church Street
    Nottinghamshire County Council are making a new entrance to Edwinstowe (Big) House through the site of the Youth Centre on Church Street. They will also be extending the Church Street footpath to the traffic lights. Work will commence over the next couple of months and throughout the summer.

11/150 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Apologies were approved and noted.

11/151 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

None.

11/152 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 14th February 2012

Minutes were approved and signed as accurate.

11/153 MATTERS ARISING FROM LAST MEETING

  1. Poplar trees Mansfield Road/St Mary's Drive
    A resident has contacted the Parish Council and Cllr Brooks concerning the removal of 6 poplar trees. The Clerk has contacted Nottinghamshire County Council (NCC) and Newark & Sherwood District Council (N&SDC) and has ascertained that because the trees were not in a conservation area and not subject to a Tree Preservation Order, there is no issue with their removal. Clerk to write to resident

  2. Spoil Heap at Thoresby Colliery
    Cllr J Peck is attending a meeting with representatives from N&SDC and NCC concerning the proposed increase to the spoil heap at Thoresby Colliery. The Parish Council have already sent a letter to NCC regarding concerns over the proximity of the spoil heap to the site of the new Visitors Centre. No reply has been received to date. Clerk to write to resident

  3. Cllr Cocking has received several complaints concerning the old Rufford School site including dog fouling, the condition of the children-s play area and why it remains closed

    This area is still owned and maintained by Barratt Homes. All complaints should be addressed to them. The Parish Council is very keen to take over this site and like the residents are disappointed with the condition of the play area and the length of time it is taking to 'finish' the area. We are trying to meet with representatives from Barratts to rectify all the problem areas before the handover takes place.

    It was also agreed to place laminate signs on the fence around the play area informing residents that it is still Barratt's responsibility. Clerk to organise signs

  4. Minute ref 11/139 iii CCTV
    Cllr J Peck informed the meeting that the Health Centre has taken over the CCTV. The Parish Council have installed cameras around the Village Hall (for considerably less than the annual monitoring cost paid to N&SDC).

    The Parish Council has also ordered extra fencing to secure the rear of the Village Hall. Originally the existing gates were going to be implemented to secure one end of the path however, the Playgroup have requested a separate gate - quote received for £680 - agreed unanimously.

  5. The Village Magazine is with the printers and will be distributed end March/early April.

11/154 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

None.

11/155 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES) - commenced 1925hrs

Cllr Boughey has received complaints concerning the overgrown hedge on West Lane opposite Locks Butchers. Agreed Clerk to send letter when correct address identified

Cllr J Peck reported that a Safer Neighbourhood Meeting had taken place the previous week (Tuesday 6th March) without the presence of Parish and District Councillors as they had not been informed or invited. This causes great concern as representations from both official bodies should be present. It was agreed unanimously to send a letter to Karen White at N&SDC - Clerk to write letter

The three targets agreed at the Safer Neighbourhood meeting were:

Cllr Tattersall reported problems with serious littering at the Conservation Area. The previous Monday over 70 bottles and cans, carrier bags and litter had been left. The police have been alerted and are aware. Residents MUST report incidents when they are occurring.

Finished 1935hrs

11/156 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE,
WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

Cllr Cocking attended a road show by Newark and Sherwood Homes recently where tenants were given an update on the changes happening to the service and the possible effects. Residents have previously informed the Parish Council that they are extremely satisfied with the current arrangements.

Cemetery Working Group
A complaint has been received concerning the compost heap on the top right of the cemetery. It was agreed to fence the area off.

A request has been received for a memorial plaque for plot 258. This is a burial plot and has recently had some ashes scattered on it. The plot already has a large memorial on it and the relatives would like to place a smaller memorial in front. This request is against council policy especially with regard to grounds maintenance. The meeting refused the application, but agreed to consider any alternative suggestions. Clerk to send letter

Finance Committee
The end of the financial year is 31st March and latest predictions are that we will have a better balance at the end of the year that first anticipated. This means we will be able to increase the general reserves by approximately £10k to £20k. General reserves should be approx 6 months of the precept.

The Parish Council are investigating the potential of taking over the 3 village car parks from N&SDC. There would not be a large increase in the cost as we currently pay 100% of the rates for East/West Lane car parks and 50% for Mansfield Road. The Parish Council would guarantee no car park charges in the future (where possible). N&SDC are very interested in the proposal and would provide appropriate signage stating the car parks ownership. The meeting approved the takeover in principle subject to negotiations and final agreement.

We are also looking at various areas which lead into the village for possible sites for trees e.g. Ollerton Road, Mansfield Road etc. Edwinstowe is the gateway to Sherwood Forest and an important area of tourism therefore it is important to improve the area.

11/157 AGENDA

  1. Totally Locally
    Feedback from businesses was the Totally Locally launch was one of the best days ever despite the bad weather. It is important to maintain the interest/enthusiasm etc. Clerk to send letter of congratulations

    Cllr Tattersall reported that there was more litter on the High Street after the event had finished. There was a discussion whether the additional litter was as a result of the Totally Locally event and agreed to monitor future events.

  2. Diamond Jubilee
    The Edwinstowe Big Picnic Lunch is taking place on Sunday 3rd June between 12.00pm - 4.00pm on the field next to the cricket pitch in Sherwood Forest. There will be live music (including Dukeries Singers), dance performances, a cricket match, stalls, a medieval event in the forest. This year the Parish Council is supporting the Edwinstowe Angels Walk. The Parish Council has purchased flags, bunting and advertising banners for the event.

  3. Annual Parish Meeting Date/Speakers
    This year's Annual Parish Meeting will take place on Monday 30th April at 7.00pm in the Village Hall. The guest speaker this year will be Patrick Candler from Nottinghamshire County Council who will talk about the Olympic Torch, New Visitor Centre, Sherwood Forest Regional Park and Tourism around Sherwood Forest.

11/158 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

Bassetlaw, Newark & Sherwood Community Safety Partnership Agenda Parish/District Community Safety Liaison Group. Kelham Hall Wednesday 23rd May 2012 6.30pm Noted
Newark & Sherwood District Council Training on Revised Ethical Framework. Wednesday 21st March 2012 10am Kelham Hall Noted
Nottingham City Council Nottinghamshire & Nottingham Waste Core Strategy. Notice of Formal Representation Period on Proposed Submission Document 5th March - 30th April 2012 Noted

11/159 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR SUB-COMMITTEES OR
OTHER BODIES

  1. Planning Committee
    As Cllr J Peck sits on the Parish Council Planning Committee he cannot speak at district council level therefore he is standing down from the Parish Council Committee. It was unanimously agreed for Cllr Starbrook to replace Cllr J Peck.

11/160 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

None.

11/161 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
20.02.2012 Cash Petty Cash £118.94
20.02.2012 N&SDC Temporary Event Notice £21.00
29.02.2012 Sherwood Marquees Trestle Table Hire Deposit £33.60
01.03.2012 Glasdons X2 Litter Bins £94.48
01.03.2012 Viking Direct Stationary £82.32
01.03.2012 Carol Hill Annual Web Design £1,000.00
01.03.2012 British Gas Heating Service Contract £308.26
01.03.2012 Intervend Water Hire £7.20
01.03.2012 Tuxford Garage Petrol/Diesel £90.00
01.03.2012 Notts Fire & Rescue Fire Extinguisher Service £12.00
01.03.2012 Severn Trent Water Public WC £67.50
01.03.2012 NCC County Supplies Speed Sign £31.20
01.03.2012 Village Hall MC Gas Donation £412.99
01.03.2012 J Liu Jubilee Bunting £117.00

Cheques approved and signed.

11/162 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

11/163 PLANNING MATTERS March/April 2012

Plans for the development to the rear of the Jug and Glass have been refused however; Cllr J Peck has arranged a site meeting with the N&SDC Planning Officer and the Architect to agree an alternative scheme for resubmission.

All plans have been considered by the Planning Committee prior to the Ordinary Meeting and have been approved.

Planning Decisions

1. Application No: 11/01734/ADV
Applicant: Miss Michelle Stephens
Proposal: Advertisement Fascia Boards
Site Address: Maid Marion's Hair & Beauty
DECISION: APPROVED BY N&SCD

Planning Applications

1. Application No: 12/00170/FUL
Applicant: Mr B Hawkins
Proposal: Erection of a Detached Garden Room
Site Address: 22 Normanton Close
EPC DECISION: APPROVE APPLICATION

2. Application No: 12/00182/FUL
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Beardsmore
Proposal: Construction of a Bay Window to Front Elevation
Site Address: 90 Henton Road
EPC DECISION: APPROVE APPLICATION

3. Application No: 12/00142/FUL
Applicant: BT (Mr S Eccles)
Proposal: Installation of Aluminium Weather Louvre's
Site Address: Telephone Exchange High Street
EPC DECISION: APPROVE APPLICATION

OTHER

1. Proposed restoration of Welbeck Colliery Spoil Tip
Applicant: Uk Coal
Site Address: Welbeck Colliery, Meden Vale
NOTED

2. Application for a Minor Variation to a Premises Licence
Applicant: Hubbards LLP
Site Address: Dukeries Lodge
NOTED

11/164 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

Both John Peck and Celia Brooks continue to do work on behalf of individual residents including contacts with Newark and Sherwood Homes where necessary. Both Councillors continue to attend training, this month on the Localism Act and Commissioning.

They had a ward walk and meeting with Andy Statham, the senior Newark and Sherwood Council officer with responsibility for Edwinstowe. The priorities identified and discussed within his remit were:

The March Newark and Sherwood Council meeting was chiefly concerned with setting the budget for next year. There was also a decision to change the style of working of the Council from a Cabinet system to a Committee system. This will be operational from May 2013 when the detail of the exact structure of the Council will have been debated and adopted.

11/165 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: THURSDAY 12 April 2012

Meeting closed at 2015hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design