Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes May 2015

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 12 May 2015 at 7.00pm or immediately after the Annual General Meeting in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Brooks, Cocking, Brown, Peacock, Benson, J Peck, Starbrook, Ayre, Tattersall, K Peck

Apologies: Cllr McLaughlin - holiday

15/008 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the first meeting of the new Parish Council. This is a meeting to discuss Parish Council business and not a public meeting. Members of the public are welcome to attend. There will be a public participation section at the end of the meeting when Standing Orders will be suspended to allow the public to speak. Approved unanimously

15/009 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Apologies were approved and accepted.

15/010 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

None.

15/011 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 14th April 2015

Approved by Councillors who had been present at the last meeting.

15/012 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

  1. Proposed Solar Farm
    The company interested in installing a solar farm in the village have asked whether they can use the Parish Council office for a display for public consultation. After a discussion it was agreed that it was not appropriate. Clerk to contact with details of alternative venues.

15/013 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1855hrs

Cllr Brown asked who is responsible for cutting the grass verges near to the Robin Hood Pub. Clerk to enquire

Cllr Tattersall has been approached by a resident of Lansbury Road concerning children playing football in the street. The police have informed that it is not illegal. Cllr Tattersall to raise at next SNG meeting

Cllr J Peck requested better signage for the play areas on Henton Road and Jubilee Park. There is a good example at Vicar Water. Cllrs J and K Peck to take photo of sign and Clerk to research costs

Cllr Peacock reported that the line markings for parking spaces in the Black Swan car park needed updating. This is in hand

Ended 1900hrs

15/014 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

Available from Parish Council Office.

  1. Allotment Working Group
    Cllr Ayre read a report from the previous working group meeting - copy available on request. The councillors unanimously accepted the report and all the recommendations. A discussion took place concerning the CCTV camera installed on the allotment shed. Complaints have been received from some allotment holders as it is not apparent who has installed the camera or who monitors the pictures. It was unanimously agreed to write to the allotment association requesting the information. Clerk to write letter

  2. Cemetery Working Group
    We now have a new Cemetery Groundsman - Paul Darrington.

  3. Meeting re New Visitor Centre
    The previous Chair and Vice Chair met with one of the bidders for the new Visitor Centre. A second bidder has also expressed an interest in meeting with the council. When more information is received it will be reported to the Parish Council.

  4. Safer Neighbourhood Group
    The next meeting is Tuesday 19th May at 6.00pm at Abbey Road Community Centre.

    There is a proposal to cut back on PCSOs and it is possible that Edwinstowe and Clipstone will lose theirs. Cllr J Peck proposed writing to the Police Commissioner, Cllr Benson seconded. Agreed unanimously

    Cllr K Peck suggested that there may be a need to launch campaigns and petitions.

15/015 AGENDA

  1. Public Toilets
    These are now owned by the Parish Council which safeguards them for the future. Historically we have received around £9,000 annually from the District Council towards the upkeep cost. This year we will receive £10,000 but this will be withdrawn in the future and will have an implication on future precepts.

  2. Website
    We have had a request from Nottinghamshire Blood Bikes for inclusion on the website. Cllr Brown explained they are a registered charity that transport blood and other urgently required medical supplies. Agreed unanimously

  3. Thoresby Pit Closure
    The meeting acknowledged the forthcoming closure and are sympathetic to those who will lose their jobs. The colliery has been an important part of Edwinstowe for many years. It was thought that Thoresby Colliery would be organising a closure day. Clerk to find out more and take to Events Working Group Cllr J Peck to enquire what will happen to the winding wheel currently outside the site.

  4. Jubilee Park
    The trees have now been planted around the skate park and the orchard is in place at the bottom of Jubilee Park. The bunding around the skate park has been extended. This was all carried out in association with Sherwood Forest Trust.

    The Chair read an email received from a resident concerning the anti climb paint that has been put on the two gates on the left hand side of the park by residents. Cllr J Peck has already informed the resident that the Parish Council has no power in this matter. Cllr Peacock reported that several residents have approached him as they are unhappy that the gates have been installed. After a discussion it was agreed for the Clerk to check legalities concerning anti climb paint. Clerk to check

    Cllr Brown reported that the community orchard trees are being used as goal posts. There was a discussion concerning the possibility of installing a set of goal posts on the park after careful consideration to the position and safety standards. Parks and Open Space Working Group to consider at next meeting. Clerk to organise meeting and a site meeting to look at possibility

  5. Voluntary Community Groups
    The Chair expressed thanks to all the voluntary community groups in the village. There are so many and they are mainly run by hard working volunteers. The village has a lovely community spirit.

    A special mention was made to Maureen who has recently retired from running groups at Lynds Close for over 30 years.

  6. Annual Parish Meeting Date
    The Annual Parish Meeting will take place on Wednesday 20th May 2015 in the Parish Council Office.

  7. Supporting Local Communities (SLC) Fund - Fourth Avenue Play Area
    Cllr J Peck has submitted a bid to the Supporting Local Communities Fund (SLC) for £19,000 to move and upgrade the children's play area on to the disused bowling green at Fourth Avenue. The Bowls Club are happy with the proposals. The Parish Council will provide matched funding for the project. The application is currently on the reserve list. Transfer documents are currently with our solicitors - Clerk to chase

  8. Parking Charges in Sherwood Forest Country Park - impact on St Mary’s School
    When dropping off/picking up children at St Mary's School, people are being charged the parking fee. This matter has now been resolved.

15/016 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
Notts County Council - Mill Lane Noted
NSDC - Adoption of the Statement of Community Involvement Noted - on website
NALC - Summary of Rural Housing Policy Review Noted - on website (copy to Cllr Cocking)
NCC - Better Broadband for Nottinghamshire update Noted - on website
New Councillor Training Dates There is a training session on Thursday 21st May 2015 at Ollerton Town Hall 7.30pm - 9.30pm. Let Clerk know if you wish to attend

15/017 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

None.

15/018 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. Approval of Annual Return for 2014.15
    Circulate for approval at next meeting

  2. Approval of Internal Audit for 2014.15
    This has now been carried out without any problem. Noted unanimously

15/019 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
03.03.2015 Viking Stationery £34.45
03.03.2015 NCC Brush Heads £43.20
03.03.2015 Platts Harris 2 x Strimmer
1 x Hedge Trimmer
£579.98
04.03.2015 Town & Country Mower Service £126.60
06.03.2015 E-On Electricity Charge for Christmas Lights £50.59
10.03.2015 Universal Fabrications 2 x Steel Boxes £240.00
16.03.2015 Cash Petty Cash £174.75
16.03.2015 B&Q Supplies/materials £122.54
16.03.2015 NSDC Cemetery Rates 2015/16 £612.00
16.03.2015 NSDC Public Conveniences Rates 2015/16 £684.00
24.03.2015 PHS Group Waste Collection Admin Charge £24.00
24.03.2015 Central Garage Tyre for Van £78.00
01.04.2015 NSDC Cemetery Refuse Collection £546.52
01.04.2015 CISWO Playground Rent £80.48
01.04.2015 Window Repair Services Ltd Repair to Village Hall Patio Door £325.00
07.04.2015 Thoresby Estate Allotment Rent £330.00
07.04.2015 Village Hall Management Committee Electricity Charges £237.92
07.04.2015 D A Williams Electrical Repairs £78.00
07.04.2015 NCC Rent for Jubilee Park £1.00
09.04.2015 David Playford Website Renewal/Maintenance £300.00
09.04.2015 DVLA Van Tax £225.00
13.04.2015 Sherwood Forest Trust Skate Park Improvements £1,945.64
13.04.2015 B&Q Supplies/Materials £158.75
13.04.2015 Cash Petty Cash £104.75
17.04.2015 Central Garage MOT & Service £539.62
21.04.2015 Town & Country Jubilee Park Play Equipment £4,788.00
21.04.2015 Konica Minolta Copier Charges £41.02
22.04.2015 SLCC Subscription £187.00
22.04.2015 Platts Harris Strimmer Harness £40.80
23.04.2015 Town & Country Village Grass Cutting £1,420.80
24.04.2015 BHMA Limited Cemetery Signs £57.85
27.04.2015 Glasdon UK Ltd Litter Pickers £95.68
27.04.2015 N&SDC East Lane Car Park Rates £564.00
27.04.2015 N&SDC Mansfield Road Car Park Rates £672.00
27.04.2015 N&SDC West Lane Car Park Rates £480.00
28.04.2015 Central Garage Repairs £306.74
28.04.2015 Viking Stationery Copier Paper £32.71
29.04.2015 Came & Company Annual Insurance Premium £4,263.59
30.04.2015 L Hill Internal Audit Fee £100.00

The Chair made the following comments about some of the cheques.

  • The strimmers and hedge trimmers are industrial ones
  • The steel boxes are a health and safety requirement for the safe storage of petrol. We have also ordered blanking plates for the disused floor vents
  • The website charge is an annual charge
  • Jubilee Park improvements (trees, bunding and children's play equipment) will be taken from s106 monies
  • Insurance premium is slightly reduced from last year

Cheques were approved unanimously and signed by the Chair. Every cheque is signed by two councillors and invoices are authorised by the Clerk.

15/020 GRANT APPLICATIONS

  1. Mr Brian Hawkins - Appeal for sponsorship in aid of John Eastwood Hospice
  2. Edwinstowe's Helping Hands - Request for funding for equipment
  3. Sherwood Forest Netball Club - Request for funding to train coaches & deliver sessions at local schools
  4. Edwinstowe Youth Club - Request for funding
  5. Men in Sheds - Request for funding to help this new community group get started
  6. 1st Edwinstowe Guides - Request for funding forwards expenses and activities
  7. 1st Edwinstowe Guides - Request for £200 towards the purchase of Guide equipment and craft materials
  8. St Mary's Church - Request for £216.40 towards the cost of servicing the church clock
  9. Dukeries Academy - Request for grant towards school trip to Peru

There is £2,000 grant available to be awarded annually to local community groups - £1,000 in April and £1,000 in October.

The Parish Council is not able to sponsor individuals. All applicants must have a bank account. After a discussion, the following was agreed

  • Write to Mr Brian Hawkins informing him of the Parish Council-s position on sponsoring individuals
  • Check whether Men in Sheds has a bank account
  • Defer the application from Dukeries Academy to October pending more information on the number of Edwinstowe children involved
  • Combine the applications from Edwinstowe Guides

It was proposed by Cllr J Peck, seconded by Cllr Starbrook to divide the £1,000 available between the six remaining applicants. Agreed unanimously

The accompanying letter to explain why the grant amount was £166.66 - agreed

It was agreed from Cllrs Peacock and Brown to design a grant application letter for approval at the June meeting. Cllrs Peacock and Brown to design letter

15/021 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

District Council

The District Councillors for Edwinstowe and Clipstone are - D/Cllrs Celia Brooks, Paul Peacock and Dave Thompson. At the date of this meeting, they have not yet signed their declarations of acceptance.

County Council

C/Cllr Peck reported on the following

  • The Transport and Highways Committee have now passed the programmes for the coming year
    • Dropped kerbs to be installed at the top of Rufford Road near to the Robin Hood Pub.
    • Mansfield Road bus shelter improvements including real time bus information
    • Cycle Path to be installed from Mill Lane to Sherwood Pines
    • 20 mph outside both King Edwin and St Mary's Schools
    • Mansfield Road surface dressing
    • A614 - Ollerton roundabout to Rose Cottage improvements

    Cllr Peck is constantly asking for High Street to be resurfaced - it is on the reserve list.

    • £10,000 has been allocated by NCC for the feasibility study for the Robin Hood Line. The feasibility study will look at the capital costs of station improvements, upgrading of the line and how it will fit in with the current timetable. A recent test of the line has been carried out up to Tuxford, stopping at Edwinstowe Station which is in surprisingly good condition.

      A crucial part of the study will be the subsidy that NCC will be putting in each year.
  • The one hour limit is now in place on the High Street
  • Potholes around the village have been reported
  • Donations have been awarded to the Guides and Village Hall Management Committee
  • The new visitor centre is progressing well. Three bids have been received and all look good. There will be a firm decision by the end of the summer.
  • The additional white lines in East and West Lane car parks have been painted today. West Lane car park has trees overhanging that will need cutting. Clerk to speak to owner of trees

The Chair suspended standing orders at 2029hrs to allow members of the public to speak. Current standing orders allow only those on the electoral register to speak during the public question time session.

A resident would like to be considered for the Events Working Group. Give details to the Clerk

A resident was concerned about the CCTV camera on the allotment shed. One of the childminders looks after her son and she was not aware of the camera. Details to Clerk, Chair to look into

A resident stated that she had a copy of the standing orders, adopted last year, and it does not state that only electors can speak. (note - this is incorrect, standing order 37.5 and public participation guidelines, both on the website, apply)

A resident stated that it is extremely intimidating having people with cameras coming to our meeting and filming. Other residents agreed.

A heated exchange took place.

The Chair reinstated standing orders at 2035hrs and continued with the business of the meeting.

Cllr Peacock has been approached by many residents who would like to contribute to the Parish Council meetings but due to the group of people, not from the village who filming the meetings, they feel too intimidated. Residents are losing their democratic rights.

15/022 PLANNING

PLANNING APPLICATIONS

1. Application No: 15/00652/FUL
Applicant: Newark & Sherwood Homes Ltd
Proposal: Formation of car parking spaces.
Site Address: Land adjacent to 11 & 13 Boy Lane, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: Approved

2. Application No: 15/00357/FUL
Applicant: CTIL Ltd
Proposal: Replacement of a 15m lattice mast with 3 antennas, with a 21m lattice mast with 3 antennas, the replacement of 1 cabinet within the compound and ancillary development.
Site Address: South Forest Farm, Clipstone Road, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: Approved

3. Application No: 15/00609/OUT
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Brentnall
Proposal: Outline application for single dwelling with all matters except access reserved
Site Address: 47 Rufford Road, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: Agree to outline application subject to more detail when full planning application submitted

PLANNING DECISIONS

1. Application No: 15/00190/FUL
Applicant: Mr Gordon
Proposal: Householder application for single storey front extension and garage extension (resubmission of 14/02137/FUL)
Site Address: Hazel Grove Barn, Mill Lane, Edwinstowe, Notts
DECISION: Permitted

2. Application No: 15/00069/FUL
Applicant: Newark & Sherwood Homes
Proposal: 6 No. one bedroom flats with associated car parking and external works
Site Address: Land at Second Avenue, Edwinstowe, Notts
DECISION: Permitted

3. Application No: 15/00358/FUL
Applicant: Newark & Sherwood Homes
Proposal: 4 No. one bedroom flats with associated external works
Site Address: Land to the rear of 49 Second Avenue, Edwinstowe, Notts
DECISION: Permitted

15/023 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Tuesday 9 June 2015

Meeting closed at 2045hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design