Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes June 2014

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Thursday 12 June 2014 in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Cocking, Brooks, Benson, Starbrook, Ayre, Tattersall, J Peck
Apologies: Cllrs Boughey - ill health, Cllr K Peck - prior commitments

Cllrs Freeman and George - no apologies

14/029 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair welcomed all present, opened and informed the meeting that this is a Parish Council meeting dealing with formal business of the Parish Council with a public question time section.

The Chair asked whether anyone intended to record the meeting - one member of the public indicated that they would be. The Chair stated that when recording, all equipment should be in plain view. If the intention is to reproduce the recording on the internet, then it should be put on in its entirety and not edited sections. The idea of recording is so those unable to attend meetings, can hear what has occurred.

14/030 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Cllr Boughey - Special Dispensation Request - approved unanimously

Apologies were received and approved unanimously.

14/031 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

None.

14/032 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 14th May 2014

Approved unanimously and signed by the Chair

TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 14th May 2014

Approved unanimously and signed by the Chair

TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING HELD ON 22nd May 2014

The Chair proposed that as the Annual Parish Meeting is not a Parish Council Meeting, the minutes are published on the website for comments from those present and then to be approved at next year's Annual Parish Meeting. Approved unanimously

14/033 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

  1. High Street Parking - Highways Issues
    Initial enquiries have been made and we are awaiting a response from Highways.

  2. Thoresby Colliery
    Reference the letters sent to local MPs - we have received responses from Mark Spencer MP and Vernon Coaker MP

    The Chair attended a meeting this week between Thoresby Miners and Rachel Reeves MP, Shadow Work & Pensions Minister, about the future of Thoresby Colliery and the views of the miners.

  3. Trail Boards, High Street Banners and John Benson Pavilion Sign
    NCC are consulting with Margaret Woodhead concerning the content of the trail boards. The pavilion sign will be ready over the next couple of weeks. Cllr Benson declared an interest.

    The banners are at the design stage, will be colourful and a medieval design. Final drafts to be brought to the July meeting for approval.

14/034 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1909hrs

A resident questioned why at the previous meeting, the Chair had reinforced the six month rule concerning questions put during public participation but she allowed her husband to ask questions that had previously been discussed. Chair to respond in writing

A resident reported the overhanging branches on Church Street that were hazardous to traffic. Clerk to report

A resident reported chewing gum on Trinity Road. Clerk to ask Amenity Supervisor to investigate and report back

A resident asked whether the Chair was aware that the rules for the Allotment Association were given to the Clerk prior to the meeting on 4th June 2012. Chair to respond later in the meeting

A resident expressed concern that it had been recorded in previous minutes that a new association had been set up on Ollerton Road allotments. The resident has spoken to one of the founder members of this association and was informed that it has no constitution, rules nor officers therefore, it cannot be an association. They have also stated they will not abide by the current associations rules and will only answer to the Parish Council. The resident has written to the Parish Council about this previously and has yet to receive a reply. Chair to respond in writing

A resident questioned whether it would be beneficial for the Parish Council to record the meetings so the whole parish can have an unbiased view.

A resident asked whether a councillor should identify themselves as such if they are writing letters to the Chad.

A resident asked why it had not been included in the minutes that he had suggested making contact with the Health Service concerning improvements at Major Oak Surgery. Is it the Clerk's fault that this had been omitted from the minutes or are the councillors scared.

A resident asked why they had not been sent a letter in response to a question raised at a previous meeting. Clerk to forward copy of letter sent previously

A resident asked whether the council had received a response from Severn Trent Water concerning the water supply at the allotments. No reply received to date

A resident questioned whether the minute book was available for the public to view. Yes it is a public document

Reference a previous question concerning the water supply, is the council aware that a previous Parish Council contributed to the installation. Contact the Clerk with the information

Ended 1922hrs

14/035 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1923hrs

The Chair asked whether the councillors agree that we include lone working on the agenda for the next meeting as two workers have felt threatened recently. Approved unanimously

Ended 1924hrs

14/036 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

Available from Parish Council Office.

  1. Allotment Working Group
    The minutes have been circulated and information left by the Ollerton Road allotment association has been left for the Councillors to consider.

    The Councillors held a further meeting to discuss the way forward - documents concerning the proposal were circulated and approved unanimously.

    The rules for the Ollerton Road allotment association had been sent to the Clerk in January. They were, and still are, unapproved by allotment holders. The Chair has had a copy of these rules however at the recent meeting it was not clear whether the rules proffered were the same or had been updated.

    Reference the new friendly society, any/all associations on the allotment site have nothing to do with the Parish Council. The National Society for Leisure Gardeners have stated there can be as many or no association on an allotment site and allotment holders do not need to belong to an association to hold an allotment.

  2. Edwinstowe Business Forum
    Attendance at these meetings is quite low. They are looking at ways to help boost trade and there was a discussion concerning holding a vintage fair on the High Street during September and the possibility of working together for future Village Festivals.

14/037 AGENDA

  1. Edwinstowe Village Plan
    1. Jubilee Park
      There will be a site meeting next week to look at future plans for the area, including further tree planting. Sherwood Forest Trust has offered to help manage the conservation/wild flower area. Agenda item July. Two new benches have been delivered and installed this week.

      Progress on the Jubilee Park sign was requested. Clerk to chase
  2. Skate Park
    1. Feedback from Meeting with Skate Park User Group. The first meeting of the skate park management group took place on 9th June at the Parish Office. It was a lively and very positive meeting and a number of issues were discussed.

      The group considered the skate park operational plan and terms of reference for the management of the park and will submit a final draft for approval by the full council at the next meeting.

      The group discussed the introduction of a skate park users group, but felt that as all users are currently taking responsibility for the park, a separate group may have a detrimental effect on this.

      Safety and strategies to encourage the wearing of helmets and protective clothing were considered. Further posters and signs were discussed and additional signage will be recommended for the new notice board. Clerk to order notice board

      It was agreed to apply to the Parish Council to explore the possibility of holding an event before the schools break up for the summer. This would focus on safe use of the skate park with workshops on developing skills, safety and a general talk by St John's Ambulance on first aid; also, the addition of a stall selling helmets and protective clothing.

      The group would like approval to plan this event and would appreciate support from the events working group if possible. Approved unanimously

      Operational Plan - agenda item July

      It was suggested that leaflets are delivered to King Edwin's, St Mary's and Dukeries schools stressing the importance of protective clothing. Agreed unanimously

      The Chair will be visiting the local schools to reinforce this message (subject to permission/approval from the Head Teachers)

    2. Report from Phil Doughty - N&SDC
      A brief email has been received from Phil Doughty - Senior Environmental Health Officer at N&SDC concerning the recent noise assessment that has been carried out at Jubilee Park. Copies available on request.

      The Chair has met with Phil Doughty on two occasions and has a CD of the recordings which is in the process of being circulated to Councillors. Agenda item July

  3. Thoresby Welfare Site
    There is concern about the amount and size of rubble that has been left on site since the Welfare was demolished. The Parish Council has received an email from N&SDC Planning Enforcement Officer who states that in his view there is no problem. This is not acceptable. D/Cllr Brooks to suggest a site visit with Matt Lamb from N&SDC. Clerk to arrange meeting with CISWO

  4. Edwinstowe Village News
    All groups and organisations are welcome to advertise their events in the Edwinstowe Village News. Send your email address to the Council Office to be added to the mailing list.

  5. DEFRA's Rural Community Energy Fund
    The Chair has looked into this - local community groups can apply for £20k from the government for a feasibility study then for a further £170k (approximately). It is then a requirement for the groups to source business partners and pay back the funding with interest.

14/038 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

NAME DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
Nottinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service Public consultation on NFRS proposals Noted - copies to be published on notice boards, library, website, Pet's Paradise
Nottinghamshire County Council Nottinghamshire Minerals Local Plan - additional consultation on sand and gravel provision Noted - copies to be published on notice boards, library and website
Cemetery User Thank you note Noted

14/039 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

  1. Skate Park Management Working Group
    It was unanimously approved for Cllrs Brooks, J Peck and Tattersall to be substitutes as and when required (subject to their availability)

14/040 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. Approval of Accounting Statement and Annual Governance Statement for 2013/14
    Copies of the Annual Return had been circulated to all councillors for approval. -
    Section 1 - approved unanimously and signed by the Chair
    Section 2 - approved unanimously and signed by the Chair

14/024 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

Approved and signed by Chair.

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
12.05.14 NALC Annual Subscriptions £17.00
12.05.14 Cash Petty Cash £89.59
12.05.14 B&Q Maintenance Equipment £40.12
14.05.14 SLCC Membership Renewal £184.00
14.05.14 Bunzl Cleaning Materials £106.25
14.05.14 Swinton Van Insurance £430.15
20.05.14 Town & Country Village Grass Cutting £1,576.80
21.05.14 Central Garage Van Repair £174.56
22.05.14 Broker Network Ltd Council Insurance Renewal £4,357.27
22.05.14 County Supplies Litter Bins £316.92
22.05.14 Edwinstowe Village Hall Mgt Cttee Gas to 22.05.14 £109.77
23.05.14 David Stocken Trailer for Bowser £160.00

Approved and signed by the Chair.

14/042 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

14/043 PLANNING MATTERS

1. Application No: 14/00967/FUL
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Jackson
Proposal: Householder application to erect an oak timber frame detached double garage with accommodation space above.
Site Address: The Old Vicarage Cottage, West Lane, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: Support Application

2. Application No: 14/00979/FUL
Applicant: Mr & Mr Prince
Proposal: Householder application for the erection of a first floor rear extension (retrospective).
Site Address: 7 St Edwin’s Drive, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: Rejected application

PLANNING DECISIONS

3. Application No: 14/00573/FUL
Proposal: Mr Gu Wenwei
Proposal: Change of use from shop (class A1) to takeaway (class A5) and associated minor works to refurbish and repair the existing building
Site Address: 5 - 7 Mansfield Road, Edwinstowe, Notts
DECISION: Permitted

14/044 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

County Council Report

Thoresby Colliery Closure - need to continue our efforts and try to use whatever possible to keep the pit open for the remainder of its natural life. The closure will have a big impact on Edwinstowe however, we need to ensure the spoil heap is landscaped and try to ensure the Robin Hood Line stays open.

C/Cllr Peck and D/Cllr Brooks have spent time visiting residents asking open ended questions on local issues. Support for the skate park is overwhelming, throughout the village and some residents who were against it initially think it is a wonderful addition for our young people.

If any resident has any issues they would like to raise with the Parish Councillors, there is an open surgery on the first Saturday each month, outside the Co-op at 10.00am

District Council Report

Individual case work concerning planning issues and licensing work.

D/Cllr Brooks was invited to attend a meeting (as an observer) with Rachel Reeves MP and local miners from Thoresby Colliery. The miners are currently on gardening leave but are not allowed to attend training course whilst on leave.

14/045 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Thursday 10th July 2014

2007hrs - Meeting closed

Web Design by JKE Web Design