Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independent shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes June 2018

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 12 June 2018 at 7.00pm in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe.

Present: Cllrs Ayre, Brooks, Brown, Peacock, J Peck, K Peck, Tattersall, Troop

Apologies: Cllrs Benson, McLaughlin, Starbrook

18/025 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting, welcomed all present.

There is a Village Hall Open Day on Saturday 23rd June 10.00am – 3.30pm – all welcome.

The Tour of Britain will be coming through Edwinstowe again this year on Saturday 8th September – details to follow.

18/026 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Reasons were noted.

18/027 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr Brown – 18/032(a).

18/028 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY AND ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 16th MAY 2018

Minutes were approved unanimously and signed by the Chair.

18/029 GUEST SPEAKER – standing orders were suspended

Peter Gaw Chief Executive Officer at Inspire: Culture, Learning and Libraries.

Peter gave a short presentation concerning the future of library services in Edwinstowe. The library will close later this year for substantial refurbishment and will reopen early 2019.

There will be consultations during the summer to talk to library staff about the modernisation and to make suggestions concerning services that will be provided. Details on village website.

18/030 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

  1. Meeting with Local Area Commander
    Clerk to speak to PCSO at this week’s beat surgery.
  2. The ‘demo’ car park lamp column should now be in place.
  3. Land Registry have no record of ownership of the War Memorial Garden. In order to take over ownership, the Parish Council needs to prove that they have maintained the area for a minimum of 12 years. The Parish Council has records going back to the 1940s and therefore can apply. N&SDC are completing the relevant forms to Land Registry on the Parish Council’s behalf.

18/031 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (10 MINUTES)

Commenced 1925hrs

Cllr J Peck requested the benches at the Bowls Club are re-varnished. Clerk to arrange

Cllr Peacock asked about weed spraying in the village. C/Cllr Peck to make enquiries

Cllr Ayre reported weeds at the front of Abbey Road Centre and around the bins. D/Cllr Brooks to report to N&S Homes

Cllr Ayre has received a request for a filter light at Robin Hood Crossroads for vehicles turning right onto Rufford Road. C/Cllr Peck to make enquiries

Cllr Brown reported speeding vehicles on Rufford Road and Swinecote Road 1pm-2pm Saturday afternoon. Clerk to raise at next beat surgery

Cllr Brown asked about progress on the village plan. Agenda item September

Cllr Brown asked for an update on twinning. The Chair replied that the resident who was taking it forward on our behalf has withdrawn from the project however, the schools are still communicating.

Cllr Brown asked when the grass verges near the Robin Hood crossroads would be cut. C/Cllr Peck to make enquiries.

Cllr Tattersall reported overgrown grass at Abbey Road garages. D/Cllr Brooks to make enquiries on the annual walkabout with N&S Homes.

Cllr Brooks has received a complaint concerning rubble on the site of the Fourth Avenue development. She visited the site but could only see cleared areas where some investigation work has taken place and a pile of sand. Cllr Brooks to reply to the resident.

Ended 1935hrs

18/032 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

  1. Allotment Site Visit
    Three plots had not been cultivated, letters have been sent to the plotholders and all have genuine reasons which have been noted.

    Advice has been received from the national allotment association concerning the possibility of changing the rental year. Before any decisions are made, a meeting with allotment holders will be held and all will be informed about the options by letter.

    RESOLVED: - Clerk to write letter

  2. Thoresby Memorial Working Group
    We have now received the grant for the memorial from NCC Local Improvement Scheme. The preferred memorial design was shown to the meeting and the wording was discussed. After a discussion, it was agreed to slightly alter the wording to the following: -

    THORESBY COLLIERY MEMORIAL

    DEDICATED TO THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO WORKED AT THORESBY COLLIERY AND TO THOSE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES FROM 1925 TO 2015

    RESOLVED: - Inform the non-council members of the working group

    Garden designs have been requested.

    Cllrs Brooks and J Peck have met with Ross from RSPB to discuss the possibility of putting one of the half winding wheels, from the colliery, on Forest Corner. A place has been agreed – next to Swinecote Road giving a view through to the colliery site. The Parish Council will raise funds for an information board to accompany the half wheel.

18/033 AGENDA

  1. Meeting with Thoresby Estates
    Cemetery Extension
    The Forest Cemetery is filling up. The Parish Council have spoken to Thoresby Estates about the possibility of extending the cemetery beyond the oak trees. Thoresby Estates have agreed and will continue to farm it until such time as it is required. More detail with regard to lease etc will be forwarded to the Parish Council.

    Ollerton Road Allotments Extension
    Thoresby Estates have also offered some land adjacent to the existing allotments on Ollerton Road. At the moment there are some vacant plots on the site and only one person on the waiting list so the land is not yet needed. This will also be farmed until such time as it is required.

    More detail with regard to lease etc will be forwarded to the Parish Council.

  2. Electric Charging Point – Car Park
    No further information has been received from Nottingham City Council.

    RESOLVED: - Clerk to chase information

  3. Cherry Tree in War Memorial Garden
    The cherry tree in the war memorial garden needs pruning. The Parish Council has been advised that after pruning, the tree will grow back more profusely therefore it has been suggested to replace the cherry with a native tree possibly a rowan. After a discussion it was agreed for councillors to visit the site and agenda for the autumn.

    RESOLVED: - Agenda item September

  4. Office Flooring Quote
    The quote for carpeting the whole office floor has been received – £950 including fitting. The condition of the existing floor and joists need to be established and quotes have been received to carry out any necessary work. The flooring, new blinds and carpets are being paid from successful grant applications through the Village Hall Management Committee.

  5. Conservation Area Walkabout Feedback
    Cllrs Brooks and J Peck met with the N&SDC conservation officer to look at Edwinstowe’s conservation area. The officer would like to hold an information day for members of the public to show where the conservation area is and what its implications are. After a discussion, it was agreed to approach the library as a possible venue.

    If the Parish Council wants to change the conservation area, a formal consultation needs to take place.

    RESOLVED: - Clerk to contact library and arrange meeting and publicise widely around the village.

  6. New Photocopier Contract
    Our existing contract term is due to finish, a new cheaper contract has been received. It was unanimously agreed to move to the new contract.

    RESOLVED: - Clerk to accept quote and return forms.

  7. Boy Lane Allotment Fence
    The order for works has been placed. A contribution has been received from the owner of the horses in the field next door.

18/034 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

  1. Mansfield Scouts – Thank you letter – noted

  2. Sherwood Forest Trust – Sherwood Habitats Forum (24th July 2018, 9am-4pm Sherwood Pines) – noted

  3. County Council Civic Service – (24th June 2018, 3pm at Southwell Minster) – noted

  4. Edwinstowe RBL – WW1 Monument
    More information has been received from the Secretary of Edwinstowe RBL concerning the memorial to commemorate the men and women who lost their lives in WW1. After a discussion, it was agreed to arrange a meeting/site visit between the Secretary, Clerk, Amenity Supervisor, Cllrs Brown and Troop to agree where the memorial will be put in the war memorial garden.

    RESOLVED: - Clerk to arrange meeting

  5. Sherwood Pines Concerts Notification (22nd June 2018 – 24th June 2018) – noted

18/035 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

None.

18/036 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. Internal Audit Completed – noted
  2. Review the effectiveness of the System of Internal Financial Control (circulated with Agenda)
  3. Approve the effectiveness of the System of Internal Financial Control
  4. Chair to sign the System of Internal Financial Control
    The effectiveness of the System of Internal Financial Control was discussed. Cllr Brown moved to accept, Cllr Ayre seconded – approved unanimously. The Chair and Clerk signed the System of Internal Financial Control.
  5. Consider the Annual Governance Statement 2017/18 (circulated with Agenda)
  6. Approve, by resolution, the Annual Governance Statement 2017/18
  7. Chair to sign the Annual Governance Statement 2017/18
    The Annual Governance Statement 2017/18 was discussed. Cllr Brown moved to accept, Cllr Ayre seconded – approved unanimously. The Chair and Clerk signed the Annual Governance Statement 20171/8
  8. Consider the Annual Accounting Statements 2017/18 (circulated with Agenda)
  9. Approve, by resolution, the Annual Accounting Statements 2017/18
  10. Chair to sign the Annual Accounting Statements 2017/18
    The Annual Accounting Statement 2017/18 was discussed. Cllr Brown moved to accept, Cllr Ayre seconded – approved unanimously. The Chair and Clerk signed the Annual Accounting Statement 20171/8

18/037 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
April Staff Salaries £4,952.43
May Staff Salaries £5,009.02
11.05.2018 Trade UK (inv) Plants & Materials £48.60
11.05.2018 Water Plus (inv) Ollerton Rd Allotment Water Charges £39.50
16.05.2018 EVHMC Gas Charges to 15.5.18 £73.62
30.05.2018 Town & Country Grounds (inv) Village Grass Cutting £1,888.80
31.05.2018 Town & Country Grounds (inv) Strimming at Bowling Green, Fourth Ave £78.00
31.05.2018 Glasdon (inv) Litter Barrow £958.80
04.06.2018 Central Garage (inv) Van Repair £80.70
04.06.2018 T Robb (inv) Hanging Baskets £1,199.25
04.06.2018 Water Plus (inv) Water Charges – Public Conveniences £59.13
01.06.2018 NCC Month 2 Pension £1,679.19
01.06.2018 HMRC Month 2 PAYE/NIC £1,137.34
01.06.2018 BMB Financial Internal Audit Fee £100.00
05.06.2018 NSDC Correction - Dog Bin Emptying (min ref 17\173) £1,731.60
05.06.2018 Catchers Pest Control Vermin Control £80.00
06.06.2018 Cash Petty Cash £107.54
06.06.2018 Pet’s Paradise Plants £103.70

Cheques/Invoices were approved and signed.

18/038 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

18/039 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

D/Cllr Brooks has reported various unsightly areas in the village to N&SDC Enforcement.

D/Cllr Brooks has been liaising with N&SDC Officers concerning the development on Fourth Avenue. The Parish Council has a 25 year lease for the play area and bowling green. CISWO agreed to maintain the site ‘in perpetuity’ but this does not start until the 25 year lease expires. Advice from N&SDC is that CISWO should have paid the Parish Council to maintain the site (prior to the new lease) and not charged rent.

CISWO also state they do not need to pay any community fund to the village as they have already paid £80k to Thoresby Sporting Trust.

D/Cllr Peacock is meeting with N&SDC officers to discuss s106 monies, Fourth Avenue and CISWO.

C/Cllr Peck has reported various potholes including the road outside the Village Hall, the pavement near the junction of Fifth Avenue/Mansfield Road.

C/Cllr Peck has awarded various grants in the village and dealt with individual matters.

18/040 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION - STANDING ORDERS WILL BE SUSPENDED
FOR THE DURATION OF THIS SECTION. PLEASE REFER TO GUIDANCE PROVIDED (ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE PARISH COUNCIL WEBSITE) - 15 MINS

No public in attendance.

18/041 PLANNING

None.

18/042 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: WEDNESDAY 18th July 2018 – noted

Meeting closed 2105hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design