Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes February 2015

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Thursday 12 February 2015 at 7.00pm in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Starbrook, Ayre, Tattersall, Cocking, Brooks, K Peck and George

Apologies: Cllrs Benson and J Peck - prior commitments, Cllr Boughey - illness

14/132 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting and welcomed all present.

14/133 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Apologies were approved and accepted unanimously.

14/134 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

None.

14/135 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 8th January 2015

Minutes were approved and signed by the Chair.

14/136 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

  1. Jubilee Park
    The improvements to the play area, discussed at November meeting, have now commenced and should be completed next week.

14/137 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1902hrs

Will the Parish Council write to Nottinghamshire County Council to oppose the closure of care homes including Bishop’s Court. Agreed unanimously. Clerk to write letter

This afternoon children have been climbing over the security fencing around the new play area at Jubilee Park. Chair to visit site in the morning, Clerk to speak to contractors

A resident reported that he deemed a response he had received from the Chair to be rude and wished to take the matter further. His understanding is that grievances will be investigated by a panel which includes the Chair which he feels is unacceptable. The Clerk explained that the grievance should be addressed to the Clerk and the panel will not include any named councillors.

A resident asked whether the recent rumour that more houses would be built on Ollerton Road was true. The Chair responded that the Parish Council has not received any planning applications relating to Ollerton Road.

A resident stated that she has reported the leaking tap on the Ollerton Road allotments to Severn Trent Water.

A resident stated that when he visited the Parish Council Office earlier this week to go through the allotment files, he could find no evidence of complaints received from allotment holders as previously stated at Parish Council meetings. Agenda item 14/139 (ii)

1907hrs Cllr George arrived

A resident reported a person who is visiting the allotment site is in contempt of court. The Chair interrupted as this is not within the Parish Council's remit. The resident continued that the Chair had promised to seek guidance from the national association in November. The Chair informed the meeting that the Parish Council does not have to record decisions made about the letting of allotments. The resident responded that he will be contacting the legal advisor of the national association.

A resident reported that at the November meeting a councillor identified her as the person who had potentially wasted £500 of tax payer's money as she had referred a matter to the auditors. The reason the resident referred the matter to the auditors was that she had not received a satisfactory reply. She asked the councillor to check his facts. See agenda item 14/143 (ii)

A resident of West Lane reported the condition of the wall to the west side of West Lane and asked that it be reported to Nottinghamshire County Council for inspection. Clerk to enquire

A resident reported that there is nothing for younger children on the play area at Jubilee Park. The Chair requested that the resident wait until the works are completed and then report back if still not happy with what has been installed.

A resident requested support from C/Cllr Peck regarding the proposed closure of local care homes. The resident was advised to contact C/Cllr Peck as he was absent from the meeting

A resident asked how long it takes to receive a reply for a question asked at a meeting.

A resident asked when all allotment holders be consulted about the new agreements/proposals. Agenda item 14/139 (ii)

A resident asked why was it stated that £2,000 has been saved on grass cutting when there is only a difference of £6 from the previous year with fewer cuts. Clerk to investigate

Ended 1920hrs

14/138 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1922hrs

Cllr Starbrook wished to express thanks to the team for keeping the village brilliantly clean.

Cllr Ayre reported the lights on Newberry Close are still not working. Clerk informed the meeting that this is being chased and will write a letter

Ended 1922hrs

14/139 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

Available from Parish Council Office.

  1. Safer Neighbourhood Group
    At the last meeting, the following targets were identified - parking on pavements, speeding and lack of security now the Post Office has been altered. The police will send in the pre-crime unit to assess.

    A 'moderate speed' sign will be positioned on Swinecote Road.

    Clerk to check if Safer Neighbourhood Group contacts are put on noticeboard.

  2. Allotment Working Group
    Cllr Ayre read the following to the meeting;

    The Allotment Working Group met on 2nd February.
    • We received all the documents to be given to allotment holders when they sign letting agreements. These have been sent to all Parish Councillors prior to this meeting and need the Parish Councils approval tonight.

    • We agreed that a complaint form be included and the content of this form was discussed.

    • It was suggested there should be a further notice board where allotment holders can place notices concerning available plants/seeds/equipment etc. These notices would be placed subject to the approval of the Parish Council. There is a notice board close to the entrance to the allotments that could be renovated and used for this.

    • There was an update on the waiting list which the Parish Council has agreed the working party administers. The Clerk has tried to identify all the names on the waiting list given to the Parish Council by the Allotment Association through the electoral register and the phone book.

      This has been difficult because of the lack of information given to us. Contact has been made by phone or letters but we can't be sure that the addresses we have are those given to the Allotment Association. So far we've had four people from the list wanting an allotment. A notice will be placed in the next village magazine to attract interest in renting an allotment.

      With the Parish Council's approval we shall send out letters about rents to be paid after March 1st as soon as possible.

    Report was accepted and approved unanimously

    The Chair read the following to the meeting;

    Summary of allotment position February 2015
    It has been a year since the Parish Council resolved to take over the administration of the Ollerton Road allotment site.

    It was decided from the outset that the Parish Council's administration would be starting from scratch and a line would be drawn under any on-going issues.

    A new letting agreement is now ready to be adopted by the Parish Council. There are clear rules governing the letting agreements and guidance with regard to complaints. All letting agreements will be signed by the allotment holder and countersigned by an officer of the Council. The allotment holder and the Parish Council will each retain a copy. In this way it will be clear to everyone what is expected.

    Full consultation of allotment holders on both sites, Ollerton Road and Boy Lane, was held. This took the form of writing to all known allotment holders individually and inviting comment on the draft agreement. 65 letters were sent and 5 allotment holders, 4 from the Ollerton Road site and one from the Boy Lane site, responded. It appears that the overwhelming majority of allotment holders do not have a problem with the proposed tenancy agreement.

    Allotment holders were also invited to indicate whether or not they wished to continue renting their plots and a handful are choosing to vacate the plots they have been renting. We are now in a position to write to all allotment holders with regard to paying rents and water rates for the 2015/2016 season. There is one allotment holder who is not known to us. Apparently he was given the tenure of an allotment in October, but the previous administrative body, the Allotment Association, did not let the Parish Council know. We have asked for this information at the January Parish Council meeting and repeat the request for information again.

    There are currently 9 vacant plots. The Parish Clerk has managed to track down some of the people on the waiting list. It has been quite a task, relying on the phone book and electoral register to find contact details for the people on the list given to us. These were not forth-coming when we requested them from the previous administration. Responses were varied, from complete denial of any interest in allotments at all, uncertainty about whether an allotment was still required, to great enthusiasm. One woman had her name down for 5 years.

    We now know of 6 people who definitely want an allotment and one who is still uncertain. This means there are two or three vacant plots still to be let. As reported at the January meeting, a new free-standing notice board has been ordered and will soon be in place. Notices concerning the administration of the site will be posted in that notice board. It will not be used for any other purpose. I think I speak for the whole Parish Council when I say that we feel everything is now in place for a thriving allotment site and we wish all allotment holders the very best for the new growing season.

    As per the 1951 agreement, either party can give the other 12 months notice of termination. The new agreement and rules will be displayed in the newly purchased noticeboard for all to view.

    The Chair asked whether the Parish Council was happy for letters to allotment holders concerning tenancy agreements and rent to be taken out. Unanimous

    Allotment holders are expected to sign their agreements in person at the Parish Council office, Monday - Thursday 10.00am - 2.00pm. An evening/weekend can be arranged if required.

  3. Cemetery Working Group
    The cemetery working group recently met to discuss clarification of when resident/non resident fees apply especially with regard to someone in a care home outside their place of residence.

    There was also a discussion on the cemetery fees. Due to the cemetery 'filling up' increased fees were proposed to the meeting. After a discussion it was agreed to agenda for the next meeting pending further information from the Clerk. Vote 4 for 3 against, (Chair casting vote) Clerk to provide percentage of burials residents/non residents and prices in surrounding areas for comparison

14/140 AGENDA

  1. Potential Twinning with Commune of Roibiac-Rochessadoule (France)
    A request to look at the possibility of twinning has been received from a resident of Roibiac-Rochessadoule (France). As it is so close to the election, it was agreed to delay a decision until the new Parish Council. Clerk to write back

  2. Grit Bin Request - Top of Trinity Road
    This has been refused by NCC. The Parish Council can purchase a blue grit bin at a cost of £250 and all subsequent refills will need to be paid for. Defer to next Finance Committee meeting.

  3. Car Parks Update
    All paperwork now signed, new signs are in place .

  4. Staff Working Hours - defer to confidential

  5. Proposed Solar Farm - Update
    The proposed solar farm will be about 20 acres with between 15-20,000 panels. The panels will face away from the road and approximately 8-10 metres from the road boundary.

    The application will go to formal planning in the spring. Noted

  6. Public Consultation - Increase to High Street Waiting Times
    The proposed increase in High Street waiting times is now in the consultation period (end 17.02.15). The proposal is to increase time from 30 minutes to 1 hour.

  7. Meeting Dates 2015-6
    The proposed meeting dates from April 2015 were approved unanimously. Meeting day will revert to Tuesdays.

  8. Major Oak - European Tree of the Year
    The Major Oak has been entered for European Tree of the Year. Voting only online, details available on NCC and Edwinstowe websites.

14/141 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

NAME DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
Nottinghamshire County Council Media Release Broadband Update Noted
Nottinghamshire County Council Tobacco Consultation Noted
Nottinghamshire County Council Proposed Alterations to Speed Restrictions on Rufford Lane, Wellow Noted
Nottinghamshire County Council Refreshing the Police and Crime Plan 2015-18 Noted

14/142 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

None.

14/143 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. Estimate of Parish/Town Council Election Costs
    Noted.

  2. Response from Grant Thornton (auditors) concerning additional audit charges for 2014
    The Parish Council is still contesting this additional charge as it was questioned whether the correct procedure had been followed. For noting - nothing amiss was found at all with our financial procedures

  3. Quote for Hanging Baskets
    Same cost as last year - approved unanimously

14/144 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

Approved and signed by Chair.

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
18.12.14 Town & Country 50% Deposit Jubilee Park Eqpt £10,000.00
22.12.14 Doctoremote Website Hosting Renewal £21.60
22.12.14 Special Event Organisers Dutch Organ £170.00
22.12.14 St John Ambulance Christmas Event £79.20
06.01.15 Forest Holidays Christmas Tree £80.00
07.01.15 Viking Stationery Stationery £98.30
08.01.15 Cash Petty Cash £95.89
13.01.15 Bunzl Cleaning Materials £42.36
13.01.15 County Supplies Cleaning Materials £19.92
15.01.15 Town & Country Tree Works £510.00
15.01.15 Grant Thornton 2014 Audit Fee £720.00
16.01.15 Savers UK Ltd Office Fridge £71.99
16.01.15 Severn Trent Allotment Water £25.43
19.01.15 NALC Annual Subscription £716.69
19.01.15 Konica Photocopier Charges £122.71
02.02.15 Cash Petty Cash £104.79
03.02.15 Premier Flags Flags for High Street £56.28

Cheques approved unanimously.

14/145 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

14/146 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

County Council Report - read by Cllr K Peck

NCC is commencing the second phase of the feasibility study of extending the Robin Hood Line to Edwinstowe and Ollerton. C/Cllr Peck continues to raise this matter at every opportunity.

C/Cllr Peck has had assurances that the extra parking bays for residents of the bungalows on Boy Lane have been agreed by N&S Homes and will be done during financial year 2014/5.

Potholes have been reported on Mansfield Road, High Street, Boy Lane and Cavendish Avenue.

Street lights on Newbery Close have been reported to N&S Homes and C/Cllr Peck has been assured that the work will be carried out soon.

C/Cllr Peck has managed to get a flooding problem on Clumber Avenue attended and sorted out.

C/Cllr Peck has presented cheques to Helping Hands lunch club, youth club and Village Hall Management Committee for new equipment.

District Council Report

Other than already reported by C/Cllr Peck...

D/Cllr Brooks has been dealing with planning matters and N&S Homes issues particularly the increase to the supported and social housing rents are to rise by 2.2% (including Lifeline charges)

14/147 PLANNING MATTERS

PLANNING APPLICATIONS

1. Application No: 14/02163/FUL
Applicant: Mr Hawkes
Proposal: Householder application for 2 storey rear extension to form sitting room and utility to ground floor and 2 bedrooms with relocated bathroom to first floor
Site Address: 52 Sixth Avenue, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: APPROVED

2. Application No: 15/00037/FUL
Applicant: Mrs Hannah
Proposal: Householder application for erection of two storey side extension
Site Address: 8 Welbeck Drive, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: APPROVED

PLANNING DECISIONS

1. Application No: 14/01909/FUL
Applicant: Mr Green
Proposal: Retain isolation stable/field shelter
Site Address: Land rear of Mill Lane, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: Permitted

2. Application No: 14/02120/FUL
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Smith
Proposal: Householder application for single storey side/rear extension
Site Address: 2 Manvers Crescent, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: Permitted

14/148 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Thursday 12th March 2015

Meeting closed at 2010hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design