Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes March 2014

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 11 March 2014 at 7.00pm in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Benson, Cocking, Tattersall, Ayre, Brooks, J Peck and K Peck

13/148 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting and welcomed all present and asked whether anyone present intended to record the meeting and if so to declare it now. No declarations were made.

13/149 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Cllr Boughey - dispensation until May (last meeting April)
Cllrs Starbrook and Freeman - illness
Cllr George - no apologies given

Apologies were received and approved unanimously.

13/150 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

None.

13/151 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 11th February 2014

Minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman.

13/152 MATTERS ARISING FROM LAST MEETING

The Chairman requested the permission of the Parish Council to move item 13/156. Agreed unanimously

  1. Giving Young People a Voice in Edwinstowe
    Eddie Fenwick introduced himself. He is the elected Newark & Sherwood member of Youth Parliament and attends parliament twice per year. Part of his role is to give young people a voice across the district and he would like to form a young people's sub-group in Edwinstowe that would link into the Parish Council. A section of the Edwinstowe Village News could be allocated to give them somewhere to share and air their views.

  2. Young Voters
    The system for registration has changed. Electors, including first time voters and people who move into the area, need to be made aware that it is their responsibility to register or they will not be eligible to vote. Cllr Brooks to request information from N&SDC for article in next village magazine

Clerk to invite Eddie Fenwick to April meeting

  1. Agreement of 2014/15 Meeting Dates
    The proposed meeting dates were approved unanimously. From April, Ordinary Meetings will be held on Thursdays.

  2. CCTV - Jubilee Park Skate Park
    The Parish Council have been investigating the possibility of installing CCTV at Jubilee Park as threats of damage have been made. The Chair met with a CCTV company on site to look at available options but so far these are proving expensive. More investigation is required and options to be taken to finance committee for discussion. Clerk to investigate further

  3. Future Development - Jubilee Park
    Now Jubilee Park has been formally protected through Fields in Trust it will never be built on however it can be developed further as a site of recreation. We need to have a meeting to look at options for the future development of Jubilee Park. Clerk to send memo to all councillors for initial ideas sharing meeting

  4. West Lane Car Park - Lines & Lighting (update)
    The lines are now painted. There was no intention to paint white lines on the road into the car park as this could be more problematic. The problem with the lighting should now be sorted.

  5. High Street Banners
    The designs for the High Street banners will be a mixture of medieval, coats of arms, Robin Hood and forest themes. Proofs will be sent for approval.

  6. Trail Boards
    All the doors will be removed for refurbishment over the next couple of weeks. NCC has been working closely with Margaret Woodhead of the Historical Society on the revised content. Proofs will be sent for approval.

  7. Gate on Jubilee Park - Update
    The Chair read the following extract from a letter received from Tim Hart, Senior Definitive Map Office at NCC;
    ".....although the email from Matthew Horridge states that the path was "intended to allow free passage for all," this is not sufficient to enable the County Council to take action, as the site plan only refers to the route as a cycleway, not as a public footpath..."

    We have received a request from a resident for an article in the next edition of Edwinstowe News informing the village of the situation. Agreed, Cllr J Peck to write article

  8. Ollerton Road Allotments
    The Chair read a synopsis of the situation to date on the Ollerton Road allotment site. Copies are available on request from the Parish Council Office subject to the usual copy charges (in line with N&SDC)

    Reference the solicitors letter received from Jones & Co acting on behalf of Jim Rhodes and John Kirkland, we have been advised to report this to the Law Society and the body that governs Solicitors. Proposed Cllr Cocking, seconded Cllr Tattersall - 4 votes for and 3 abstentions

    A discussion took place regarding the ongoing situation at the Ollerton Road allotments. The Parish Council has resisted getting involved for the past three years, however due to the volume of complaints and enquiries received in the Parish Council Office over recent months we cannot allow it to continue. As we are the landlord, we have no choice but to get involved and we need to take action. After seeking advice, the Parish Council will be giving the current association 12 months notice to quit from Lady Day (25th March). From next year rents will be payable to the Parish Council who will also allocate plots. The Allotment Sub-Committee and Finance Committee will look at the amount of rent payable by allotment holders and will inform of any changes.

    There is no requirement to belong to the allotment association to rent an allotment.

13/153 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1941hrs

The Chair explained the rules of public participation to the meeting stressing that all electors have a right to speak. Each elector can speak for up to one minute on any issue but there would be no discussion.

Jim Rhodes, President of the Allotment Association expressed his disappointment, as in his view, the minutes from the February Parish Council meeting were inaccurate. He has sent a letter containing 13 questions requesting a written response. It has not been possible to supply names and addresses of allotment holders or audited accounts. On 6th January 2014, a letter was sent to the Parish Council requesting an urgent meeting - he has not received a response.

John Brooks, husband of Celia Brooks, read a report summarising a telephone conversation that had taken place between his wife, Jim Rhodes and Rob Hallam the previous month. (copies available from the Parish Council Office on request subject to the usual copy charges.) Mr Brooks felt the tone and language used during the conversation were not appropriate and questioned the accuracy of the information being fed back to other allotment holders.

Alan Kitchener queried the statement made by the Chair in her report concerning there not being an AGM for two years. There had been one in February 2013 but it had to be abandoned due to disruptive behaviour.

Terry McLaughlin expressed his disappointment that no member of the Parish Council has visited the allotment site or discussed the concerns raised with other allotment holders.

Thomas Holland demanded an apology concerning information given previously about the gate installed by Friars Park residents between Old School Drive and Jubilee Park.

Carol Ritchie reported the amount of dog mess on the grassed area of Jubilee Park. Pass details to Clerk to report to N&SDC

Julie Hutchinson questioned the need for CCTV at the skate park as previously the Parish Council had stated there was no antisocial behaviour on Jubilee Park. The previous minutes state that the Clerk will be sending a memo for availability for an informal meeting to discuss future development at Jubilee Park. Who is this memo being sent to? Will residents be consulted?

Sheila Norton distributed a report including an 'Allotment Dispute Timeline' and outline of Data Protection.

Joe Bennett informed the council that the Allotment Shed had been given by NCC in 1994.

As there was still time left in the Public Participation section, the Chair allowed Jim Rhodes to speak again. He reiterated the points he had raised earlier.

John Brooks also spoke again.

Ended 2001hrs

13/154 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 2002hrs

Cllr Cocking reported that the large tree on Beardsley Road has been trimmed extensively and due to the fine weather we have been experiencing, Henton Road play area has been used considerably.

Cllr J Peck has also received an email from a resident concerned with the amount of dog fouling at Jubilee Park despite the two dog bins that are provided. Clerk to report to Dog Warden for extra patrols, article in next village magazine and more/better signage to be displayed.

Cllr Tattersall informed the meeting that the Chair and Vice-Chair can only act as instructed by the whole council. Every decision has to come through the Full Parish Council for approval.

Cllr Brooks asked the meeting for approval for the Allotment Sub-Committee to meet with Ollerton Road Allotment Association (all allotment holders will be invited). Agreed unanimously, Clerk to liaise with Rob Hallam (Chairman)

13/155 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

None.

13/156 AGENDA

  1. Giving Young People a Voice in Edwinstowe
    See agenda item 13/152

  2. Young Voters
    See agenda item 13/152

13/157 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

Please note, only items of correspondence that are not dealt with as an agenda item are included in this section. Copies of all correspondence are kept. Anyone can look at any item excluding those relating to staff - subject to prior arrangement and cost in line with N&SDC.

13/158 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

13/159 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. Purchase of Ride On Mower
    The Parish Council has been given the option to purchase a ride on mower to help maintain various areas around the village initially the cemetery and two parks on Henton Road. Cost £1,500 the Clerk has negotiated with the grounds contractor who has agreed to the changes. By reducing the ground maintenance, the mower will pay for itself in one season - there will be no extra costs to the Parish Council.

    The amenity team have the capacity to take on the extra work; the mower will be stored in the cemetery shed. Clerk to check insurance cover

    Cllr Tattersall proposed purchasing the mower, Cllr Benson seconded - unanimously agreed

13/160 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
03.02.14 Notts Fire & Rescue Fire Extinguisher Service £12.00
03.02.14 Konica Minolta Photocopy Charges £24.82
05.02.14 Intervend UK Limited Water Machine £6.00
07.02.14 Severn Trent Water Mansfield Rd Toilets £81.03
13.02.14 County Supplies Brush Heads £33.12
18.02.14 Cash Petty Cash £72.46
19.02.14 Village Hall Mgt Committee Gas to 19.02.14 £209.49
27.02.14 PPE Work Solutions Work Gloves £10.99
03.03.14 apdesign Newsletter Design and Print £2,165.00
28.02.14 Intervend UK Ltd Water Machine £6.00
04.03.14 Cash Petty Cash £89.95

Approved and signed by the Chair

13/161 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

13/162 PLANNING MATTERS

The planning application for Bargain Booze and the Wine Tree has been refused by N&SDC for problems relating to traffic and parking. (the problems were relating to the Wine Tree and not Bargain Booze)

The site of Thoresby Welfare is now cleared. Due to a covenant on the site, if the site is sold or developed, 75% must be paid across to the Coal Authority. This covenant is in place until February 2018. After it was discussion it was agreed to arrange a meeting with CISWO representatives to investigate the future development of the site. Clerk to arrange meeting

The application for the Treet House has gone to appeal - pending consideration.

The old Edwinstowe News on Mansfield Road is in a state of serious disrepair and is unsafe. We may need to contact the District Council to get the site tidied and made safe.

13/163 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

District Councillors Report

D/Cllr Brooks has dealt with planning enquiries for individuals. The District Council budget has now been agreed with no increase in their portion of Council Tax. N&S Homes rent has risen at inflation rate plus 1%.

Cllr Ayre asked whether there were any changes to the costing system for services such as pest control. D/Cllr Brooks has received a list of charges; residents on benefits also need to pay for services but at a lower rate.

County Councillors Report

The situation remains the same for the new visitor centre application from Discovery Attractions - the deadline is the end of March.

C/Cllr Peck visited Thoresby Colliery last week and went to the top of the spoil heap which is nowhere near the height approved through the planning application which was for an additional 15 metres. The planners check on a regular basis. 32,000 tons is dumped per week. The heap will be planted with mature trees and grassed this summer and eventually there are plans to put pathways in. It will be a great addition when completed.

Potholes and faulty streetlights are reported on a daily basis. The new lights on Abbey Road are brilliant - these are part of a plan to replace all lights with LED which are more energy efficient and 'dimmable'

The County Council budget has now been passed. Unfortunately there will be 800 redundancies and a further 40% reduction in the budget over the next 4 years. This will obviously alter the way services will be delivered in the future.

C/Cllr Peck has managed to save the Youth bus service for Edwinstowe.

13/164 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 10th April 2014

Meeting Ended 2035hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design