Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes February 2014

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 11 February 2014 at 7.00pm in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Cocking, Starbrook, Benson, Ayre, Tattersall, Brooks, George, K Peck, J Peck

Apologies: Cllrs Boughey (dispensation), Freeman (childcare)

13/131 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chairman opened the meeting and welcomed those present.

13/132 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Approved and noted.

13/133 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

None.

13/134 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 14th January 2014

Approved and signed by the Chairman.

13/135 MATTERS ARISING FROM LAST MEETING

  1. Lansbury Road/East Lane Grit Bin - Update
    The Chairman read the response from the Highways Officer,

    "...a yellow grit bin is installed adjacent to lamp column 9 (LC9) - on the grass verge at the bend halfway along Lansbury Road. The footway at the junction of Lansbury Road with East Lane is too narrow to accommodate a grit bin and maintain safe pedestrian use, and this is the same for the footways in the immediate area of the junction. Unfortunately, therefore, the location adjacent to LC9 is the closest point to the junction that can safely accommodate a grit bin."
    Noted.

  2. Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre - Update
    The Chairman read the following to the meeting;

    "...We have continued to meet with and support the Discovery team in their work to progress the projects and they are fully aware of our concerns related to progress on securing the required project funding.

    We have agreed with Discovery Attractions a deadline of 31 March 2014 to confirm their funding package to us.

    The County Council remains committed to replacing the existing visitor centre and are currently developing a range of alternative options for consideration by members should the Discovery Attractions plans not come to fruition."
    Noted.

13/136 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1906hrs

A resident reported pot holes at the junction of High Street/Church Street/Ollerton Road/Mansfield Road. Already reported, Clerk to follow up

A resident expressed concern over the forthcoming NCC budget cuts and the impact on services for young people. Can the Parish Council do anything to support young people? Agenda item March The Chairman gave permission to C/Cllr Peck to respond.

The budget cuts will definitely affect services provided by NCC. The skate park is under construction and the Parish Council will also look at other ways to support our young people.

A resident requested a grit bin at the top of Trinity Road and halfway along Occupation Lane. Clerk to request

Ended 1910hrs

13/137 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1910hrs

Cllr Cocking reported that Sherwood Forest has been voted the second-best nature reserve in the country. Clerk to send letter of congratulations.

Cllr Cocking expressed concern over flooding on Mill Lane. The Clerk has contacted the Emergency Planning Team but has not received a response.

Cllr K Peck reported that local resident Eddie Fenwick has been awarded Youth Sport Trust's 'Young Person Award.' Clerk to write letter of congratulations and invite to next Parish Council meeting.

Cllr George was concerned that the white lining work had not been completed in the West Lane car park and that the lighting appeared to be on permanently. Clerk to enquire with N&SDC

Cllr George reported that not all pot holes were being repaired especially those on Fourth Avenue. Clerk to follow up

Cllr George was concerned with the flooding on Swinecote Road. Clerk to follow up

Ended 1917hrs

13/138 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

  1. Cemetery Working Group
    The Parish Council approved the following requests received from the Cemetery Working Group
    • Hire of chipper
    • Purchase of leaf blower up to the value of £150. There is enough money remaining in the cemetery budget to cover this cost.

13/139 AGENDA

  1. 2014/15 Meeting Dates
    The proposed dates were circulated to all Councillors. The Clerk had previously asked Councillors for their preference, resulting in the majority choosing a Thursday. There was a discussion concerning the necessity to change the day. Agenda item for March

  2. Ollerton Road Allotments
    See end of 13/139

  3. Cemetery Gates - Report from Kevin
    There have been no issues in the cemetery that would warrant locking the gates at the present time. Kevin will monitor the situation.

  4. Skate Park including Sign
    We have received a quote for the skate park safety sign for £148 and are awaiting a further quote. This will be paid from the Jubilee Park budget. We have requested that a RoSPA inspection is carried out prior to handover. We are also looking at installing security cameras and are awaiting a quote. Agenda item March

  5. Jubilee Park - Future Development
    The site can never be built on and can only be used for recreational purposes. A discussion took place for a Working Group to be set up to look at options for the area that will cater for all age groups. Clerk to send memo for informal meeting to share ideas.

  6. Gate on Old School Drive
    The installation of the gate is upsetting residents and there are also plans to install one at the Trinity View entrance in the near future. The Chairman has received an email from a resident of Friars Park who is unhappy about the gates but is very supportive of the skate park development. The Parish Council is awaiting further information from NCC Rights of Way team and N&SDC. Chair to reply to email

    These gates have not been installed by the Parish Council

  7. 2014 Hanging Basket Costs
    Unanimously approved

  8. Grass Verge on Mansfield Road, outside Fire Station and Bright Beginnings
    Work is due to be completed by the end of March to make good and reseed this area. A knee-rail fence will also be erected to prevent vehicles from parking on the verge. Thanks to C/Cllr Peck for persevering.

  9. High Street Banners
    Cllr Benson disclosed an interest - approved.

    The new High Street banners, provided by NCC, will be delivered for summer. There is currently a blank test banner hung on the High Street to check for durability. A discussion took place concerning the designs. Councillors to contact Clerk with design ideas.

    The Village Trail Boards are also being revamped ready for the summer.

    The commemorative sign for John Benson Pavilion was approved by the meeting.

  10. Ollerton Road Allotments
    The situation at the allotments has got worse and there are approximately 3-4 complaints per day being received in the office. The Parish Council have purchased the Book of Allotment Law, joined the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners and have taken advice from their Legal Representative. The advice is for the Parish Council to take-over Ollerton Road Allotments for the foreseeable future.

    The Parish Council is now a member of the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners (NSALG) and has followed their legal advice in taking this action. Thoresby Estate has been contacted both verbally and in writing on this issue and is fully supportive.

    The Parish Council has been advised to request the following information from the Allotment Association and proposes writing to both committees.
    • A full membership list of allotment holders
    • Fully audited accounts
    • The keys to the large shed and any other keys for the site
    • Any moneys paid to you for the coming year's allotment rent
    • Details of any bank account held by the allotment association


    Once we have received this information, the Parish Council will write to the whole membership to explain the situation and also at the already arranged AGM on 23 February 2014. The Parish Council will Chair this meeting. We have been advised by NSALG that no committee should be elected at this point.

    The Chairman proposed forming an Allotment Sub-Committee including representatives from the Allotment Holders and Councillors. This sub-committee will take responsibility for the running of the allotments until further notice. Approved. See agenda item 13/141

    This sub-committee will review the rules, constitution and tenancy agreements which will be given to all Allotment Holders to agree and sign. Once everything is in place, an extraordinary annual general meeting will be called at which a new committee will be elected and management of the site will revert to them.

    We feel we have had to take these steps because of the number of complaints we have had from allotment holders, unconnected to either committee, who are desperate for a way forward to enable them to get on with their 'gardening'.

    We have received an anonymous letter with serious accusations concerning the allotments. The Parish Council is not obligated to act on an anonymous letter, however the allegations made are extremely serious and the Chairman urges the writer to come forward with more information.

    Clerk to write to both committees.

13/140 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

NAME DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
N&SDC Draft Wind Energy Planning Consultation Noted
N&SDC Adoption of Developer Contributions and Planning Obligations Supplementary Planning Document Noted
CPRE Best Kept Village Competition Noted - agreed not to enter this year
St Mary's Church Grant Thank You Noted
N&SDC Chairman Chairman's Visit to Milestone Brewery Noted
NALC Harry Johnson Award Nominations Noted

13/141 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

13/142 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. Approval of precept for 2014/15
    The finance committee proposes a 0% rise for this year's precept. Last year the government changed the way District Councils are funded which had a knock on effect for Parish Councils. The additional precept received last year has been included in this year's calculation. Last year, the Parish Council has installed a new heating system in the Village Hall and has made the decision to pay our workers the living wage from 1st April 2014. Due to good financial management we are still able to hold the precept at the same level as last year.

    The Parish Council unanimously approved a 0% rise for 2014/5 precept.

13/143 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
15.01.14 Trade UK Ltd Equipment £23.94
23.01.14 Cash Petty Cash £109.78
22.01.14 Konica Minolta Photocopier £100.37
24.01.14 Annual Subs Annual Subscription £702.91
27.01.14 National Allotment Society Membership Fees £66.00

Approved and signed.

13/144 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

13/145 PLANNING MATTERS

PLANNING APPLICATIONS

1. Application No: 14/00150/FUL
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Ryder
Proposal: Householder application for the erection of a single storey rear extension and attached single garage to side of existing dwelling
Site Address: 48 Greendale Avenue, Edwinstowe
EPC DECISION: Approved

2. Application No: 14/00060/LDC
Applicant: Miss Chung
Proposal: Application for a certificate of lawful development to continue use as Chinese takeaway (A5)
Site Address: 1 High Street, Edwinstowe
EPC DECISION: Approved

PLANNING DECISIONS

1. Application No: 13/01680/FUL
Applicant: Mr McLafferty
Proposal: Change of use from mixed use residential (C3) / Bed & Breakfast (C1) to residential (C3)
Site Address: 1 - 3 Mill Lane, Edwinstowe
DECISION: Permitted

13/146 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

District Councillors Report

The District Council is finalising the budget and are trying to sell Kelham Hall.

D/Cllr Brooks is working with local residents on personal issues.

There is an ongoing debate with N&S Homes concerning the rent rises - councillors are trying to keep the rents as low as possible.

County Councillors Report

The County Council is finalising the budget and there is a budget meeting at the end of February.

C/Cllr Peck has attended various meetings around the village including Thoresby Colliery and Lyndene.

Divisional fund grants awarded - £500 to South Forest Bowls Club and £500 towards this year's Christmas lights

C/Cllr Peck is continuing to report the numerous pot holes around the village.

13/147 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 11th March 2014

Meeting Ended 2025hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design