Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independent shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes September 2019

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 10 September 2019 in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe.

Present: Cllrs Ayre, Brooks, Brown, Carlton, Freeman, Murphy, Peacock, J Peck, K Peck, and Troop.

Apologies: Cllr Rogers.

19/051 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting and welcomed all present. Chair requested that we add some late correspondence.

19/052 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Apologies noted for Cllr Rogers.

19/053 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr Carlton 19/058.
Cllr Murphy 19/058.

19/054 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE EXTRAORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 9th JULY 2019

Cllr K Peck asked that minutes from July Meeting are amended to include: Reports from District Council as given on the night unless written report offered in absence of Councillors. Approved.

Den building close to Forest Cemetery, Clerk has spoken to RSPB.

19/055 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

Cllr Ayres asked for update on Cemetery Memorial Bird Boxes. Clerk updated that Laminate plaques have been purchased along with bird boxes. Trees in the forest Cemetery will have a small tree tag which people wishing to sponsor boxes can locate to choose tree each box can be placed upon. Charge of £100 was agreed, an article to appear in forthcoming Village Magazine.

19/056 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (10 MINUTES)

Cllr Peacock reported that he is now a Director of RCAN. Clerk to send out letter of acceptance.

Cllr Troop reported that people can sign “the weeds on road” petition located in the Parish Chamber.

Cllr Ayres reported homeless man living in a tent outside Gaitskell Crescent.

Chair reported Meeting to take place with Robin Hood Colts 10am 17th September.

19/057 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

  1. Environment Working Group
    Cllr Troop reported that the new working group is cross party, working to create small changes that benefit the environment. The group to produce a regular village magazine article covering recycling, promoting bottle banks. Group to be looking into split bins, produce a green check list for all future planning applications. Representative from teracycle spoke with the group to develop recycling links with the parish Council and local schools. Cllr Murphy provided recycling bin for St Marys School. The group to research electric equipment to be used by the Amenity Team including electric van.

    Cllr Murphy highlighted that equipment only gets replaced at the end of its life.

    Cllr Peacock proposed that an electric van purchased should be researched with a ten year costing plan showing costs compared to Diesel van.

  2. Allotments - Site Meeting, Shed
    Cllr Ayres reported that an Allotment working visit is to take place at 10am 12th September. Visit to include viewing potential poly carbonate green house. Clerk to arrange for this to be marked out prior to the visit. Also, inspection of shed from Fire Officer has been requested.

19/058 AGENDA

  1. Income / Direct Debits Agenda
    Chair requested that this item to be discussed under 19/061.

  2. Bins / Dog Bins Rubbish Removal
    Chair reported that the Clerk had investigated request for risk assessments regarding dog waste from previous meeting. NSDC have advised that no requirement for risk assessments do not need to take place as they are classed as general waste.

    The council agreed to place stickers on metal general bins which show they can also be used for dog waste. Bin collections from Robin Hood Colts to be investigated.

    Cllr Freeman suggested an article to appear in village magazine regarding duel use bins.

    Cllr Peacock reported that new dog bin on Mansfield Road being used as a cut through in the hedgerow. Clerk and Amenity Supervisor to report back.

  3. SkatePark
    Working well since its repair, positive feedback. New Metal was dazzling scooter-riders, Amenity Supervisor has dulled the metal work.

  4. Thoresby Memorial Working Group
    Cllr Peck reported that during the last working group meeting, members saw new storey board and received positive feedback. Parish Council to provisionally book village hall 19th October for blessing event. Completed. Council is aware that members from the group have suggested a March date for the blessing. This to be discussed in the next Working Group Meeting to be held 10am Tuesday 24th September

  5. Staff
    1. New Appointment
      New Administrator started Monday 9th September, positive outlook. Working an additional hour each day, due to work requirement. Review hours in Personnel meeting.

      Clerk working additional hours till October meeting.
    2. Staff Reviews
      Personnel meeting to take place Monday 10am September 16th to include Clerk and Amenity Supervisor to review six month probationary review, sign permanent contracts. Public notice to be put up.

      £5 monthly phone allowance for Amenity Team to be trialled, council to build in review of costs.

      Cllr Troop reported need to investigate GDPR.

      Cllr Freeman volunteered to run GDPR training for Amenity Team. Clerk to arrange.

    Approved unanimously on staff issues.

  6. Amenity Machinery Trials
    Amenity Team have been completing free trials of rechargeable battery machinery with view to replacing all petrol equipment when they reach end of life.

  7. Grass Cutting around village
    Council has lack of clarity regarding grass cutting responsibilities. Has requested meetings with NSDC, County Council, and Sherwood Homes. Parish Council has had meeting with Town and Country Grounds Maintenance.

    Parish Council to produce colour coded village grass cutting plan.

    Lots of complaints, been lack of clarity on who cuts where.

    Produce a village plan colour coded.

    Town and Country cuts areas not in the plan. Path below Sherwood Fields not been cut.

    Grass cutting contracts and bills to be discussed in Parks and Open Spaces Committee.

  8. Update Website
    Website needs updating, need to provide more information on the website. E-mail problems have been reported. Clerk to discuss with website editor.

  9. Conservation area walkabout
    Chair reported that a Walk about with Oliver Scott from NSDC took place, proposed extended conservation area to include the Station area, sections of Mill Lane and Friend Lane.

    Cllr Peck reported that enforcement issues take into account appropriate materials and signage.

  10. Meeting with Town Centre Development
    Five different officers from NSDC attended the meeting. Clerk will keep in contact with Business Development Manager.

    Cllr Peacock reported the meeting discussed possible storey trail, make greater use of the Church, signage, and mining heritage. Requested Parish Council representation in Destination Management Group. Clerk write to Matt Lamb for representation.

    Cllr J Peck reported that the County Council have a 10 year tourism strategy and should be working with NSDC centred on Edwinstowe.

  11. Village Magazine
    Deadline for article / advert submissions is 20th September. Potential new advertisers on the high street have been contacted. Parish Council articles to include tribute to Dennis Tattersall. It has been agreed with the Developer that Tattersall Close will be used within the new Edwinstowe House Development.

19/059 Correspondence (COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

  1. Jubilee SkatePark
  2. NALC Rural Community Business
  3. RSPB Naturism
  4. West Lane Highway
  5. RSPB Camping
  6. Road Works Bulletin
  7. MP Mark Spencer
  8. Town Centre Development
  9. NALC’s legal advice
  10. Road Works – Robin Hood Festival
  11. Gypsy Camps
  12. Robin Hood Festival
  13. Pedestrian Walkway – website contact form
  14. Parish Councillor Training
  15. Newark and Sherwood Town Conference
  16. Edwinstowe Conservation Area – Review pdf
  17. Local Development Plan Letter pdf
  18. Road Works Bulletin – Ollerton Road
  19. Trinity Road Complaint
  20. Remembrance Service
  21. New Financial Regulations
  22. Fables Café License Application
  23. Sherwood Habitats Forum – Sherwood Forest Trust
  24. BT Scam – Nottinghamshire Association of Local Councils
  25. Nottinghamshire Minerals Local Plan
  26. Edwinstowe Conservation Area
  27. Conference on Affordable Homes
  28. Roadworks Bulletin – Mansfield Road
  29. Information Commissioners Office – GDPR
  30. Street Naming – for Planning Meeting
  31. Harworth – Pit Wheel Relocation
  32. Rufford Road Resident Correspondence
  33. Double Yellow Lines – Website Contact Form
  34. For Sale Signs - Website Contact Form
  35. Trinity Park Complaint – Website Contact Form
  36. Caravan parking, cars on pavement – website contact request
  37. Parkway Garage Litter – website contact form

Cllr Carlton reported that Edwinstowe’s Alcohol Control Public Space Protection Order was to have been revoked by NSDC. The Edwinstowe decision will now be deferred till November for the Parish Council to give feedback.

Cllr Ayres reported bags / boxes of alcohol cans and bottles being regularly dumped in the alley way adjacent to the Abbey Road Community Centre.

Anti-social behaviour has been reported to the Parish Council from the shop between first and Fourth Avenue. The village PCSO has been on long term sick so the village has not had representation.

Proposed by Cllr K Peck – motion to pre-empt NSDC to retain Alcohol Control Public Space Protection Order. Seconded by Cllr Carlton.

Council unanimously agreed.

Article to appear in village magazine to report anti-social behaviour to the police.

Trinity Close is managed by BDW Barrats ltd have changed maintenance contracts which has resulted in maintenance issues. Clerk liaising with BDW.

Cllr Freeman suggested village article regarding caravan / cars parked on pavement restricting pedestrian access.

Cllr Murphy raised issue with possible siting of engine wheel. Harworths have moved engine wheels for maintenance and will be sending out planning application for the Parish Council to review.

19/060 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

Chair reported that the Nat West Bank be discussed in the next finance meeting and look into VAT.

Finance meeting to take place in October.

Clerk has added new Direct Debits and Income in the Ordinary Meeting Agenda which were previously omitted.

Cllr K Peck asked why Pension contributions were as high as salaries. Clerk explained that Amenity staff are paid fortnightly and Office staff monthly. This accounts for the difference in salary amounts throughout the month. Pensions contributions which are paid a month in arrears. It was agreed that Pension contributions were correct and not as high as salaries.

19/061 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
07.06.2019 BMB Financial Services Internal Audit £100.00
07.06.2019 Town and Country Grass Cutting £1,396.80
12.06.2019 D A Williams Electrical Services / PAT Testing £266.00
27.06.2019 Hertfordshire County Council County Supplies £104.23
27.06.2019 Village Hall Electric / Gas £497.15
08.07.2019 JKE Web Design Village Newsletter £500.00
08.07.2019 Ultimate Print & Design Printing Services Village Magazine £1,000.00
21.07.2019 Waterplus Water – Public Convenience £66.48
22.07.2019 Town and Country Grass Cutting £1,396.80
26.07.2019 Staff Salaries 26.07.2019 £3,630.68
02.07.2019 Prime Property Repairs Repairs SkatePark £1,850.00
31.07.2019 Platts Harris Knapsack Sprayer £177.60
03.08.2019 Waterplus Water Royal Allotments £250.69
09.08.2019 NCC PENSION (July) £1,499.34
09.08.2019 HMRC PAYE/NIC (July) £1,305.37
09.08.2019 Staff Salaries 9.8.2019 £1,748.77
19.08.2019 Town and Country Grass Cutting £1,396.80
16.08.2019 Konica Photocopier £83.41
19.08.2019 Trade UK Materials £43.98
19.08.2019 Busby Magazine Delivery £200.00
23.08.2019 Staff Salaries £3,586.21
23.08.2019 Konica Photocopier £29.76
28.08.2019 Glasdon Dog Bins £526.13
28.08.2019 JKE Web Design Microsoft Renewal £59.99
03.09.2019 Cobb and Sons Re-open Grave £200.00
06.09.2019 NCC PENSION (August) £1,744.62
06.09.2019 HMRC PAYE/NIC (August) £1,499.10
06.09.2019 Staff Salaries 6.9.2019 £1,772.07

19/061 DIRECT DEBITS FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
01.07.2019 DVLA Tax £22.75
01.07.2019 NSDC Cemetery Church Street £60.00
01.07.2019 NSDC Public Convenience £92.00
01.07.2019 NSDC East Lane Car Park £57.00
01.07.2019 NSDC West Lane Car Park £49.00
01.07.2019 NSDC Mansfield Road Car Park £68.00
10.07.2019 UK Fuels Petrol / Diesel £27.81
16.07.2019 Sage Software £19.20
17.07.2019 UK Fuels Petrol / Diesel £95.48
19.08.2019 ICO Date Protection Fee £35.00
22.07.2019 Personnel Management Retained Services £120.00
25.07.2019 Better Connected Telecoms £80.70
31.07.2019 UK Fuels Petrol / Diesel £22.97
01.08.2019 DVLA Tax £22.75
01.08.2019 NSDC Cemetery Church Street £60.00
01.08.2019 NSDC Public Convenience £92.00
01.08.2019 NSDC East Lane Car Park £57.00
01.08.2019 NSDC West Lane Car Park £49.00
01.08.2019 NSDC Mansfield Road Car Park £68.00
07.08.2019 UK Fuels Petrol / Diesel £8.68
16.08.2019 UK Fuels Petrol / Diesel £121.49
16.08.2019 Sage Software £19.20
21.08.2019 UK Fuels Petrol / Diesel £6.61
22.08.2019 Personnel Management Retained Services £120.00
27.08.2019 NatWest Auto Pay Charge £4.00
27.08.2019 Better Connected Telecoms £87.05
28.08.2019 UK Fuels Petrol / Diesel £23.49

19/062 INCOME

DATE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
01.07.2019 Grant £1,250.00
22.07.2019 Cemetery £320.00
01.08.2019 Cemetery £120.00
05.08.2019 Cemetery £250.00
13.08.2019 Cemetery £100.00
29.08.2019 Village Magazine £75.00
29.08.2019 Village Magazine £50.00
30.08.2019 Christmas Stall £20.00

19/063 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; BULLET POINTS TO CLERK)

Report from County Councillor J Peck; reported weeds growing around guttering, requested spraying of these areas. Reported Pot Holes within the village, will report back on Climate change Bill that was passed by Nottinghamshire County Council

Report from District Councillor Brown; Conservation Area Consultation meet and greet went well on Saturday with 15/16 giving feedback the consultation closes 23rd September.

The Conservation walkabout was informative, gave a good chance for councillors to give direct feed back to the conservation officer Oliver Scott, who did get a lot of information from the parish for the submission, once the consultation closes.

PAWS assemblies the district enforcement team are doing assemblies for local schools on dog fouling and the care for the local environmental area.

Cllr K Peck comment to follow up as representative on schools forum.

Report from District Councillor Carlton; following on from the District Councils declaration of a Climate Change Emergency, the Council are producing a report to be submitted to the Leisure and Environment Committee on the 24th September, outlining the Councils proposals in how we can as an authority play our part in reducing carbon, in-line with national targets on carbon reduction.

Linked to the above, the Leisure and Environment Committee will on the 8th October undertake a visit to the Recycling Centre on Crowne Farm Way, Mansfield to further understand the process and what can be done to improve recycling rates in the District.

At the Economic Development Committee on the 11th September proposals will be decided in relation to a free tree scheme, where it is proposed 10,000 two year old trees would be distributed. Households would be apply for two trees maximum. The Council is also proposing to apply for and match fund a Government Tree Planting Scheme which would allow for 6,000 small (100-125cm) tree or 15 large (3m or more in height). Further expressions of interest in other schemes are being proposed.

Following on the Licensing Committee of the 5th September, the District Council have proposed to remove the Public Spaces Protection Order for Edwinstowe. In line with member feedback at the committee this decision of revocation has been deferred until November’s meeting. Parish Councils on the revocation list will be contacted.

NSDC has now launched a website for promoting tourism as discussed at our recent meeting with officers of the Council and Parish/District Members. The website can be found at www.visitnewarkandsherwood.info

Report from District Councillor Peacock; Reported and insisted hedge/shrubs to be trimmed back on Ollerton Road and Newbery Close, both done.

I have been pressing for 5 trees at Maythorn Grove to be cut back for safety reasons. These trees will be cut back by 30 to 50% in September. This will cause a temporary road closure.

We mentioned Friars Park in the meeting.

A redeployable CCTV camera will be installed this week at the lamp post opposite the Library. This is part of a 28 day consultation period. The objective is to gather evidence of need. I have pressed for more redeployable CCTV points to be installed.

For some time the Labour Group have been pressing for more Community Relationship Officers to be recruited to work to support communities. Recently NSDC have recruited 2 such officers, I am hoping that a further officer will be in place by January.

There have been some delays to the new Dukeries Swimming Pool due to the specialised nature of its design, though progress is being made, planning permission will go in before the end of the year.

I pressed for improvements to the Craft Centre and was happy that £250k was placed in NSDCs capital programme a few years ago, unfortunately due to delays and overspending on the former toilet block further capital is required for the refurbishment of the Craft centre. A report going to Policy and Finance is requesting further capital funding.

I have been pressing for Edwinstowe and Clipstone ward to be one of 6 areas in the district that has more resources directed to it to help to improve health inequalities in line with our Community Plan. This has been successful.

I have had an issue raised regarding the footpaths (and bridleways) along the river banks. This need attention as the paths have been eroded (I’m not sure who deals with this.

19/064 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION - STANDING ORDERS WILL BE SUSPENDED
FOR THE DURATION OF THIS SECTION. PLEASE REFER TO GUIDANCE PROVIDED (ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE PARISH COUNCIL WEBSITE) - 15 MINS

19/065 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 8th October 2019 AT 7.00 PM

Finished: 9.20pm.

Web Design by JKE Web Design