Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes July 2014

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Thursday 10 July 2014 in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Brooks, Benson, Starbrook, Tattersall, Cocking, George, J Peck, K Peck
Apologies: Cllrs Boughey - dispensation, Freeman - work commitments, Ayre - work commitments

14/046 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting, welcomed all present and asked if anyone intended to record the meeting. One resident indicated that they would be.

The Chair informed councillors about a policy consultation currently taking place concerning the 'Plain English Guide to the Openness of Local Government Bodies Regulations 2014'

These regulations, if approved by Parliament, will enhance people's rights to report council meetings in digital and social media. The consultation was only received on Tuesday (8th July) and NALC would like to receive comments by Monday 14th July. Please reply to the Clerk by 12.00pm on Monday with any comments.

The Chair announced the dates for this year's Robin Hood Festival - 4th - 10th August.

14/047 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Apologies were approved and accepted unanimously

14/048 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

None for Councillors, the Clerk disclosed an interest in minute ref 14/054 (vi) staffing issues.

14/049 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 12th June 2014

Approved unanimously and signed by the Chair

14/050 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

  1. The overhanging branches on Church Street - update
    This has been reported to N&S Homes and is in hand

  2. Trinity Road - update
    The loose drain cover has been reported to NCC. One of our amenity workers has visited the site to look at the issue of chewing gum.

  3. Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre - update
    NCC is no longer working with Discovery Attractions on the development of a new Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre and are currently looking for a new partner.

  4. Information re water supply at Ollerton Road Allotments
    At the last Parish Council meeting, Councillors were told that there is evidence that the connection of the water supply at the Ollerton Road allotments was the responsibility of a previous Parish Council. This evidence is still not forthcoming. We have also requested a meeting with the secretary as there are anomalies with the information provided concerning plot allocation - we are still waiting. The Chair read the following statement;

    'In view of the fact that we need to make progress on drawing up the rules governing the renting of the allotments, the working party recommend that discussions begin in earnest on establishing a working document in relation to the letting of allotments in the Parish of Edwinstowe.'

    'This document will be the basis of an agreement between each allotment holder and the Parish Council, the administrator of the site, with regard to the renting of an allotment, its size, maintenance and the condition of the site in general.'

    'We therefore suggest that the Parish Council invite the Ollerton Road Allotment Association to nominate two of its members to debate the issue with the working group, one nomination from the allotment holders who are not members of the association who constitute about one third of the total and Boy Lane to nominate one person.'

    This representation was suggested at the recent meeting with Nick Brown (Thoresby Estates), Mark Spencer MP and Councillors.

    It was unanimously agreed to approve the statement as read out and to send calling for representatives.

14/051 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

The Chair informed the meeting that only members of the public whose name appears in the Edwinstowe electoral register are entitled to ask questions.

The Chair proposed a review of the current procedure for public participation, for clarity, at the September meeting - approved unanimously. Clerk to circulate a draft procedure to all councillors for information.

Commenced 1915hrs

A resident was concerned about the number of banners, A boards and 'garish' shop signs that are appearing on the High Street. The Chair requested permission to respond - approved unanimously. There is a meeting planned this month with the Chief Planning Officer, Conservation Officer from N&SDC and Cllrs Brooks and J Peck.

A resident asked when the bench on Henton Road play area would be replaced. A written response to be provided

A resident handed in a copy of a new petition that was being circulated in the village concerning the allotments as the previous one was void. The resident also informed the council that a Parish Meeting had been called for the 6 August with a view to calling a referendum about the allotments.

A resident referred to a recent letter in the Chad concerning local democracy. Reference the allotment association, would Cllr Brooks practice what is preached and ask the allotment holders who they want to run the allotments. A written response to be provided.

A resident asked whether Edwinstowe Parish Council has adopted a code along the guidelines of the code of conduct which is consistent with the ten principles of public life. Whether the Parish Council believed that since 1 July 2012, all business has been carried out within these principles and whether since being elected, has the council worked with the best interest of Edwinstowe as a whole? A written response to be provided

A resident asked if the Parish Council was aware if there was a conservation plan existed for Edwinstowe. This can be done with the support of N&SDC. Clerk to enquire at N&SDC

A resident stated that from correspondence between the Chair and a third party in January, it was obvious that the Parish Council's intention was to take over the allotments from that date. Will the Parish Council reassure all allotment holders of the level of service they will receive? A written response to be provided

A resident enquired about the possibility of a right filter traffic light when turning down the High Street from Mansfield Road as many drivers turn right against a red light. Clerk to enquire with NCC Highways. With permission from the meeting, C/Cllr Peck responded that the same issue had been reported to him at the recent High Street surgery. A written response to be provided

A resident stated that over the last six months councillors have been referred to as voluntary. This is incorrect; councillors are not volunteers but a corporate body, governed by law. A written response to be provided

A resident stated that as the Parish Council is no longer prepared to discuss the future of the allotments with association, what is going to happen? Letter to be sent to explain exactly what the Parish Council's position is and how to move forward

A resident stated that when the Parish Council decided to buy the ride on lawn mower it would save around £1,800 per year however; there is very little difference between last year and this year how come? A written response to be provided

Ended 1930hrs

14/052 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1930hrs

Cllr Tattersall asked whether there was any update on the safety barriers that have been installed on the High Street. Agenda item 14/054 (vii)

Ended 1932hrs

14/053 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

Available from Parish Council Office.

  1. Skatepark Working Group
    Cllr K Peck gave feedback from the recent meeting.

  2. Edwinstowe Business Forum
    Cllr J Peck reported that the last meeting had been very well attended. The main topic of discussion was how to increase footfall and the possibility of holding a vintage fair later in the year.

14/054 AGENDA

  1. Future development of Jubilee Park
    We have installed additional bench seating and plan to install benches near the children's play area. At the recent site visit, councillors had looked at various improvements including additional mature tree planting and improvements to the children's play area. Clerk to get advice from Phil Beard from N&SDC

    NCC Youth Service is holding a mini event on 15th August 2014 between 3pm - 7pm. Clerk to request the possibility of promoting safety gear at the event.

  2. Skate Park
    1. Feedback from meeting with Skate Park User Group
      The user group gave some feedback of how the skate park has been received.

    2. Operational Plan
      The draft operational plan has been circulated for approval at the September meeting. Agenda item September

    3. Noise assessment
      The Parish Council continues to receive complaints concerning the noise from three Friars Park residents. We also continue to receive complaints from many residents concerning the gates and other actions being taken by some residents. This week we had comment from a resident of the flats overlooking the skate park who is clear that the noise is not an issue for them.

      A meeting has been arranged between officers from NCC, N&SDC, Cllr Brooks and Cllr J Peck concerning the recent noise assessment.

    4. Notice board
      This has now been delivered and will be installed shortly.

  3. Thoresby Welfare Site
    There is a meeting arranged with CISWO, NCC and N&SDC for w/c 14th July concerning the condition of the site.

  4. Barrier in parking bays on High Street - information
    The Chair read an email received from NCC Highways concerning the barriers in the parking bay on the High Street (copy available on request). A brief synopsis is as follows:
    After a site visit on Thursday, there needs to be a second structural survey and further investigation and exploratory groundworks which could take several weeks.

    The Chair proposed writing to all businesses on the High Street informing them of the situation and asking them not to park their own vehicles in the parking bays. Agreed unanimously

    Vehicles parking on the bricked area outside the library were also discussed. Clerk to investigate the possibility of temporary 'No Parking' signs

  5. Hedges
    We are receiving numerous complaints concerning overgrown trees and hedges causing obstructions to pedestrians. The council respectfully requests that all householders keep their hedges trimmed where passage is made difficult.

  6. Staffing Issues
    Moved to confidential.

  7. High Street banners & trail boards
    The first draft of the design for the Trail Boards and High Street banners has been received for comments. The councillors approved the crenulated banners and the trail board design option one, in principle. It was unanimously agreed not to proceed with the 'Where's Robin' idea. Clerk to feedback comments to NCC Officer

14/055 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

NAME DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
Nottinghamshire County Council New guide to care services in Notts - media release Noted - already placed on website
The Rt. Hon. Kenneth Clarke, QC, MP Thoresby Colliery closure Noted.
Sir Alan Meale MP Thoresby Colliery closure Noted.
Nottinghamshire County Council Better broadband for Nottinghamshire County Council and District Council are putting extra funding towards this. It is anticipated that it will arrive in Edwinstowe between April - September 2015.

14/056 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

None.

14/057 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. Internal audit - this is now complete and the accounts are with the external auditors for approval.
  2. Quote for CCTV camera - moved to confidential
  3. We have received two requests from the Edwinstowe Allotment & Garden Holders Association requesting money to cover the cost of rubbish removal and a skip. Noted - these are not the responsibility of the Parish Council.

14/058 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

Approved and signed by Chair.

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
06.06.14 Jason Boness Skatepark Opening £500.00
09.06.14 Thoresby Estate River Maun Amenity Land Charge £50.00
10.06.14 Viking Stationary £54.84
11.06.14 Tracey Robb Hanging Baskets £989.00
11.06.14 Premier Flags Flags for High Street £56.28
16.06.14 B&Q Equipment/Materials £148.82
17.06.14 ShoeStation Ltd Work Boots £32.69
18.06.14 Cash Petty Cash £125.90
20.06.14 Notts County Supplies 2 x Benches for Skatepark £1,208.30
22.06.14 Village Hall Management Committee Electricity £104.64
30.06.14 Cash Petty Cash £64.84
01.07.14 Town & Country Grass Cutting £2,041.20
02.07.14 JPK Services Parts for Mower £91.35

Approved unanimously and signed by the Chair.

14/059 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

14/060 PLANNING MATTERS

Due to work commitments, it is becoming difficult for the planning committee to meet on the scheduled meeting dates. Therefore after a brief discussion it was agreed to return planning decisions to the end of Ordinary Meetings unless we are unable to meet the timeframe for comments. Unanimously agreed

PLANNING APPLICATIONS

1. Application No: 14/01075/FUL
Applicant: Mr Beardsley
Proposal: Householder application for the erection of a detached garage
Site Address: 27 Second Avenue, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: Support Proposal

PLANNING APPLICATIONS - ADDITIONAL INFORMATION RECEIVED

2. Application No: 14/00979/FUL
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Prince
Proposal: Householder application for the erection of a first floor rear extension and the insertion of a new bedroom window to east side elevation (retrospective)
Site Address: 7 St Edwin's Drive, Edwinstowe, Notts
DECISION: Original decision still stands

14/061 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

District Council Report

D/Cllr Brooks is concerned that the High Street is not being maintained accordance with its conservation area status and has been liaising with officers. The planning officer will be asked to inspect the condition of the Jug and Glass, the colours of various signs and the amount of banners and A boards.

D/Cllr Brooks is currently working with approximately ten residents of N&S Homes properties.

D/Cllr Brooks will pursue the conservation area plan; as suggested by one member of the public this evening; and will contact the conservation officer to discuss. Clerk to display the conservation area map in noticeboards and on website.

County Council Report

C/Cllr Peck has reported pot holes on Greendale Avenue including the gutter area. C/Cllr Peck has visited King Edwin's Primary School in his capacity as Chairman of the Children and Young People Committee. There is some fantastic work being carried out there and the school is nearly to capacity.

Due to diminished budgets, the number 10 bus route has changed and you will need to change in Warsop to reach Edwinstowe. C/Cllr Peck objected to the proposal.

14/062 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Thursday 4th September 2014

Due to unavoidable personal circumstances the Clerk has requested the date of the September meeting is brought forward a week. Agreed unanimously to hold the meeting on Thursday 4th September

2027hrs - Meeting closed

Web Design by JKE Web Design