Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes July 2012

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on 10 July 2012 in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Brooks, Cocking, Tattersall, Ayre, J Peck, George, Boughey, K Peck, Benson

Apologies: Cllr Starbrook (illness), Cllr Freeman (childcare issues)

12/041 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting and welcomed all present including representatives from the Village Hall Management Committee and Cllr Roger Jackson (Cabinet Member for Culture and Leisure) and Andy Hardy (Business Manager - Community, Sport & Arts Development) from N&SDC.

HANDOVER OF VILLAGE HALL TO PARISH COUNCIL
After a protracted process, the freehold of Edwinstowe Village Hall is being transferred to the Parish Council. The Village Hall is a truly community resource excellently managed by the Village Hall Management Committee.

Cllrs Brooks and J Peck signed the documentation transferring the Village Hall to the Parish Council, witnessed by independent witness Steve Parkhouse of Kings Clipstone. Cllr Roger Jackson presented the keys to Cllr Brooks.

Andy Hardy and Cllr Jackson outlined the reasons for the handover - only the second in the district.

Clerk to arrange a meeting between representatives of the Parish Council and the Village Hall Management Committee.

Cllr Jackson, Andy Hardy and representatives of the Management Committee left the meeting.

  1. Olympic Torch Relay - Thank You
    The Parish Council has received several thank you letters including N&SDC, NCC and Mr Dalby of King Edwin Primary School.

    Despite the weather the event was well attended and there was a fantastic atmosphere.

    Thank you to all Parish Council staff for their hard work on the day.

12/042 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Apologies accepted and approved.

12/043 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

None.

The Chair requested permission from the meeting to move agenda item 12/049i as Steve Parkhouse has another meeting to attend. Approved unanimously

Public Bridleway Update
Steve is working in partnership with the Ramblers Association to 'join up' and reclaim all the footpaths in and around Sherwood Forest. The requirement to reclaim a footpath or bridleway is for 30 witnesses to make a brief statement that the footpath has been used over the past 20 years. The footpath in question is the Edwinstowe to Rufford bridleway (B6034).

The meeting approved unanimously to support the proposal. Posters to be placed in village noticeboards,on the website and in the next addition of Edwinstowe News.

If you would like to help support the application, please give details to Alice.

12/044 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 12th June 2012

Minutes were approved and signed as accurate.

12/045 MATTERS ARISING FROM LAST MEETING

  1. Highways Walkabout Feedback and response from NCC
    During a recent walkabout of the village with Mike Keeling of NCC Highways, Cllrs Brooks and J Peck identified several pavements and roads in the village that are in a poor state of repair. Most of the identified areas have now been repaired - thanks to NCC Highways for their speedy response.

  2. Response from Thoresby Colliery re noise levels
    A copy of the response from Thoresby Colliery has been forwarded to the complainant and we have asked for their assistance with this matter.

    Clerk to research Thoresby Colliery planning applications on N&SDC to establish if there are any restrictions to noise levels.

  3. Friars Park Handover - including name suggestions
    We have received several complaints concerning the uncut grass and full bins on Friars Park. The Clerk contacted the Enforcement Officer who sent an email to Barratts.

    "received a complainant about the lack of recent maintenance of the open space for which you (Barratts) are still responsible for. The grass has not been cut and the bins have not been emptied. In order to resolve this matter N&SDC would request that you ensure the maintenance of the open space is carried out within 14 days from the date of this e-mail. If the area remains overgrown after this time and the bins full the Local Planning Authority will have to consider the service of a Section 215 (Untidy Land) Notice on Barratt Homes, but I trust such formal action will not become necessary."

    The grass has now been cut but the bins have not been emptied. As soon as the transfer of land has been completed, the Parish Council will maintain the area.

    Cllr J Peck proposed the area be renamed Edwinstowe Jubilee Park - approved unanimously. Signage will be provided when the Parish Council takes over the maintenance of the area.

  4. The hedge on West Lane has now been cut.

  5. There is a faulty light on the footpath between Mansfield Road and Fourth Avenue (near King Edwin's School).
    The footpath has not been formally adopted by NCC as it was part of a request for several footpaths, one of which was in dispute. The Clerk has spoken with the Officer at NCC and he will remove the disputed footpath which will speed the application process.

  6. There is no progress on the large tree on Gaitskell Crescent.

12/046 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

None.

12/047 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES) - commenced 1935hrs

Cllr Ayre has received a complaint from a resident of Beardsley Road - when the Henton Road play area is locked, youths are climbing over the resident's garage to gain access to the park. The resident has not reported the incidents to the police. Cllrs Brooks, Starbrook, Freeman and George to visit the site to look at the problem and identify possible solutions.

Cllr Cocking asked whether planning for the Christmas event had started and if the Parish Council would be working in partnership with the Business Forum. Events Working Group meeting to be held asap.

Cllr George asked if N&SDC would be weed killing around the village again this year. Clerk to request.

Cllr J Peck informed the meeting that planning approval has been given for the houses to the rear of the Jug & Glass and for the development of the old Edwinstowe News. Cllr J Peck was thanked for his tireless hard work liaising with N&SDC Planning Dept and the architects to ensure mutually agreeable schemes were submitted for approval.

Cllr George reported piles of building material outside 1 Fourth Avenue. The Clerk reported no complaints have been received.

Finished 1945hrs

12/048 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE,
WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

  1. Cemetery
    Minutes of the recent meeting had been circulated. There were 3 items for consideration by full council.
    • Plot 438 - permission approved to remove an unauthorised garden - agreed unanimously.
    • Location for a memorial bench - permission given to place bench near the shed where a number of benches have been removed due to disrepair.
    • Suggestion for a 'feature' to be placed in the grass circle at the top of the cemetery - Kevin to provide ideas for feature for consideration.

  2. Edwinstowe Business Forum (EBF)
    EBF are working with NCC for the Robin Hood Festival and will be holding a scarecrow festival during the summer. They would like the Parish Council to make a scarecrow for outside the Village Hall. Agreed

A rumour is being spread around the village that the Parish Council want to take control of the car parks on West Lane, East Lane and Mansfield Road so that they can charge users. This is untrue the only reason the Parish Council want to take control of the car parks is to ensure users and NOT charged. There has never been a discussion about charging. EBF recognise that this is not the case.

12/049 AGENDA

  1. Public Bridleway Update - Steve Parkhouse
    See agenda item 12/043

  2. Increase to Licence Fee for Land by River Maun - Thoresby Estates
    Thoresby Estates will be increasing the licence fee from £35 to £50. This is the first rise in 5 years. Approved

  3. New Code of Conduct and Complaints Procedure
    These have been circulated prior to the meeting for consideration. Cllr J Peck moved to formally adopt the procedure already adopted by N&SDC. Approved unanimously

  4. Land Availability Document (relevant pages circulated to all Councillors)
    Noted. Concern was expressed over the land at the rear of Henton Road and potential future development. Clerk to investigate.

  5. Allotments
    Move to confidential item

  6. Replace Union Flags with Medieval Flags?
    A request has been received to change the flags on the High Street to medieval flags. As this would involve additional expense and as this year is the Diamond Jubilee, Olympic Torch Relay and the Olympic Games it was agreed unanimously to keep the Union Flags.

12/050 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

Nottinghamshire County Council Residents consultation on transport services Consultation to run until 4th September - advertise in noticeboards and on the website. As the budget is being cut, it was felt that there could be cutbacks to the service.
Newark & Sherwood Housing Needs Survey for Residents Over 50 Consultation to run until 30th July - advertise in library and noticeboards around the village.
Ollerton & District Economic Forum Annual General Meeting Invitation Noted.
East Lane Resident Comments - traffic, antisocial behaviour Noted - agreed to write letter informing of recent survey and encourage to report incidents to the police. Clerk/Chair to write letter Land Registry Office Notice of application to register mines and minerals Reply received from Solicitor - no further action required.
Nottinghamshire County Council Local Improvement Scheme Response for Trail Board Bid Application will be considered during January 2013 for implementation April/May 2013. Copy to EBF.
Notts Fire & Rescue Response Newsletter Noted.

12/051 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR SUB-COMMITTEES OR
OTHER BODIES

None.

12/052 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. Maintenance costs - Fourth Avenue Play Area
    Costs were requested from N&SDC
    Annual maintenance and repair costs paid by N&SDC are currently £5k. Noted. It is agreed that the current arrangement should continue.

  2. Quote for additional CCTV camera overlooking public toilets
    An additional camera will cost £596. It was agreed to monitor the vandalism over the summer and review the situation later if required.

12/053 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
12.06.12 Ridgewood Plants Hanging Baskets & High Street Flowerbed £875.50
12.06.12 Cash Petty Cash £95.19
26.06.12 Thoresby Estates Licence for Land by River Maun £35.00
26.06.12 Hall-Fast DS Work Trousers £16.50
26.06.12 Cables Alarm Service £82.80
26.06.12 Town & Country Village Cut £1,342.80
26.06.12 Oak Industrial Hi-Vis Vests £57.60
26.06.12 Tuxford Garage Petrol/Diesel £122.55
26.06.12 Village Hall Mgt Cttee Gas to 26.06.12 £237.03
26.06.12 Village Hall Mgt Cttee Electric to 26.06.12 £78.28
27.06.12 Hall-Fast Work Boots - KR/AM £44.40

Cheques approved and signed.

12/054 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

12/055 PLANNING MATTERS June/July 2012

Planning Decisions

1. Application No: 12/00507/FUL
Applicant: Mr P Robertson
Proposal: Erection of Side & Rear Extension & New Front Porch
Site Address: 14 St Marys Drive
DECISION: APPROVED BY N&SCD

2. Application No: 12/00828/FUL
Applicant: Mrs K Cobb
Proposal: Dropped Kerb to Gain Access to Driveway
Site Address: 56 Abbey Road
DECISION: APPROVED BY N&SCD

3. Application No: 11/00299/FULM
Applicant: Ms J Lal
Proposal: Erection of 8 Apartments
Site Address: 5 Mansfield Rd Edwinstowe News
DECISION: APPROVED BY N&SCD

Planning Applications

1. Application No: 12/00736/FUL AMENDED
Applicant: Notts Fire & Rescue
Proposal: Link Corridor Between 2 Existing Buildings, & Single Storey Extension to Main Fire Station, Removal of Flat Roof, Replace with lightweight Pitch Roof. Installation of Photovoltaic Panels to Roof.
Site Address: Fire Station, Mansfield Road
EPC DECISION: APPROVE APPLICATION

2. Application No: 12/00819/OUT
Applicant: Mr J Barlow
Proposal: Erection of Detached Dwelling with all matters reserved
Site Address: Land Adjacent 23 Merryweather Close
EPC DECISION: APPROVE APPLICATION

3. Application No: 12/00957
Applicant: Mr & Mrs Gregory
Proposal: Proposed Alterations & Extension to Existing Dwelling
Site Address: 2 Woodhead Close
EPC DECISION: APPROVE APPLICATION

4. Application No: 12/00953/FUL
Applicant: Mr M Troop
Proposal: Proposed Addition of Dormer Windows
Site Address: 40A Rufford Road
EPC DECISION: APPROVE APPLICATION

5. Application No: 12/00981/FUL
Applicant: Mr D Bennett
Proposal: Erection of a Two Storey Extension
Site Address: 24 Boy Lane
EPC DECISION: APPROVE APPLICATION

Additional Planning Applications Received

1. Application No: F/2573
Applicant: NCC Adult & Social Care
Proposal: Retention of Modular Education Building
Site Address: Sherwood Pines

2. Application No: ES/2510
Applicant: UK Coal
Proposal: Restoration of Spoil Heap
Site Address: Welbeck Colliery

3. Application No: CS 19785/O2 63133
Applicant: GallifordTry
Proposal: Proposed Telefonica Base Station
Site Address: South Forest Farm

12/056 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

As well as working on individual case work your Newark and Sherwood Councillors have been involved in a variety of wider issues. There is a meeting on 20th July at Kelham Hall to look at the re-establishment of the Safer Neighbourhood Group for Edwinstowe. All interested parties have been invited.

We are pleased to report that planning permission has been granted for the development of the remaining two empty premises in the middle of our village. The Jug and Glass on the High Street and Edwinstowe News on Mansfield road have now the go-ahead for development.
We have met Mike Keeling (NCC) twice in recent weeks about highway issues in Edwinstowe. Repairs have already been carried out on Birkland Drive roadway and footpaths around the village. We shall be joining a Newark and Sherwood Homes 'walkabout' on July 24th to look at housing issues concerning their tenants.

Councillor Peck has organised and begun a survey of Edwinstowe residents opinions across the village about Notts County Council's proposals with regard to street lighting. A consultation is taking place about how to save money by turning off selected street lights for a number of hours over-night.

The journey of the Olympic torch through Edwinstowe was successfully completed in front of large and very good-natured crowds. A good time was had by all. Thanks go to our own staff and the officers at Newark and Sherwood District Council who all worked hard to ensure we had a successful and pleasing event.

Councillor Celia Brooks
Councillor John Peck

12/125 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 11 September 2012

Meeting closed at 2040hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design