Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30am - 6.30pm
Thursday: 9.30am - 1.00pm
Friday: 9.30am - 5.30pm
Saturday: 10.00am - 1.00pm
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independent shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes December 2019

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 10 December 2019 at 7pm in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe.

Present: Cllrs Ayres, Brooks, Brown, Carlton, Freeman, Murphy, J Peck, K Peck and Troop.

19/097 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting and welcomed all present.

19/098 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

No other apologies received.

19/099 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr Carlton – Events Committee.

19/100 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE EXTRAORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 12th NOVEMBER 2019

Cllr K Peck requested amendment regarding car parking proposals to replace Permit with Limit and insert the word applied for in the November Minutes. Also asked that Draft Minutes on the council Website have a Draft Minutes watermark.

Amendment and minutes approved.

19/101 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

Cllr Brooks received comments from the Butchers who are happy with an all-day parking charge.

Cllr J Peck asked are we trying to free up car parking space or generate income.

Car parking discussion took place which included possibility of installing car parking machines which are being offered free of charge, permit limits per business, attracting car sharing.

Cllr Carlton suggested a traders meeting to discuss parking issues.

The Parish Council proposed a single issue task and finish group. This was agreed unanimously to include Cllrs Freeman, Carlton, J Peck, K Peck, Murphy, and Cllr Brooks to Chair. Clerk to contact group regarding times and dates.

Cllr Carlton reported that the Public Protection order will be delayed at committee.

Cllr Ayres had spoken with a group who regularly drink lager cans close to the Abbey Road Community Centre, this issue should be resolved.

Cllr Brown requested the Parish Council send letter of thanks to PC Ian Appleby who is retiring.

19/102 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (10 MINUTES)

19/103 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

  1. Events Committee
    Cllr K Peck thanked everyone who participated in a successful Christmas event. 194 sweet bags were used in total, the Parish Council received donations. Discussed exploring solar lighting. Parish Council to look at sponsorship for the event in the future. Date of next events committee meeting 4th February 2019.

    Cllr Ayres raised that the lights on the Cherry tree at Abbey Road Community Centre, will need to be taken down before crown reduction takes place on this tree. Amenity Supervisor to investigate

  2. Cemetery Committee
    Chair reported that the first Memorial Bird Box at the Forest Cemetery had been paid for and that the RSPB have agreed to a 20% discount for all future bird box purchases.

  3. Planning Committee
    Cllr Freeman reported that appropriate paperwork that accompanies Planning Applications has not been received. Chair of Planning Committee to write to NSDC regarding this matter.

    Chair reported that the caravan planning application from Thoresby lost an appeal with NSDC.

  4. Meeting dates for; Parks & Open Spaces
    Chair reported that a Parks and Open Spaces Committee be convened to look into storage issues.

    Cllr Murphy suggested that the Amenity Supervisor attend an £80 training course which should resolve the Parish Councils Rat issues.

    Chair requested a Health & Safety Committee meeting to look into Hand and Arm Vibration Surveys and other issues.

    Cllr Freeman proposed a meeting in Mid-January.

    Chair requested meeting dates for both Personnel and Finance Committees.

    Chair requested that Committee Meetings excluding Planning, meet to discuss forthcoming budgets.

    Chair requested a meeting of the Working Party to look into the Parish Councils Constitution and Standing Orders.

19/104 AGENDA

  1. Grass Cutting Contract
    - Awareness of Contract
    - Options for new contract

    A discussion took place regarding the grass cutting contract, which included tendering for quotes, rebates and enforcement of current contract.

  2. Book Festival
    Clerk discussed the possibility of Edwinstowe hosting the Newark Festival on tour, whose theme is “history of the last 100 years”. Number of organisations may partner up to host the event, which is ear marked to take place within the Easter half term. Various locations will be used, some of these can include open spaces within the Parish and including the High Street. The area outside the library could host a “mini market” which would not require a road closure license, could be used by book sellers etc. Cllr K Peck requested that members of the event committee attend the next meeting.

  3. Constitution
    Chair reported that both the Constitution and Standing Orders should be adopted at the next AGM, following meetings of the Working Group.

  4. Standing Orders

19/105 Correspondence (COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

  1. RSPB – Bird Boxes
  2. NALC – Strengthening Police Powers
  3. Sherwood Forest Book – Ian D Rotherham
  4. Local Electricity Bill
  5. Car Parking East Lane
  6. NSDC - Structure
  7. Parish & Town Council Initiative fund
  8. Edwinstowe Conservation Area Appraisal
  9. Hall Talk
  10. Newark Book Festival
  11. Nottinghamshire Building Preservation Trust
  12. Nottinghamshire County Council – Planning Consultation
  13. NSDC – Planning Committee Agenda
  14. Housing Development Allocations - Edwinstowe
  15. Sustainable Futures and Community Woodland
  16. NALC – association of councils funding bulletin
  17. NALC – Grievance Procedure
  18. Forest Live
  19. Village Hall MGT Committee - AGM
  20. VE Day Events
    Chair requested that an events meeting with an agenda to take place in February 2020 to discuss with partners, plans to celebrate this national event.
  21. Forestry Commission – Volunteer Sessions
  22. NALC Legal Update
  23. Website Contact – East Lane Car Park Lighting
  24. Edwinstowe Cricket Club
  25. Miss Mansfield
  26. Parish Questionnaire
  27. AJ Ball Consulting
  28. NALC – Guidelines Loneliness
  29. Frack Free Sherwood Forest & Edwinstowe
  30. NALC – Purdah Period
  31. RCAN – Events Guide
  32. NCC – Planning Guidelines
  33. VIA – High Street Road Closure
  34. NALC – Employment Update

19/106 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

Chair raised issue of payments to PHS Group regarding sanitary towel disposal of the village hall to investigate if this should be paid by the Parish Council.

Cllr Murphy reported that if the Village Hall Management Committee were struggling to meet financial commitments that the room hire charges be reviewed.

19/107 INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
14.11.2019 Staff Salaries 15.11.2019 £3,791.61
14.11.2019 NOTTS CC Interpretation Lectern £4,342.80
14.11.2019 City Signs & Print Christmas Banner £48.00
19.11.2019 Trade UK Plumbing materials £13.55
19.11.2019 Trade UK Plumbing materials £8.75
19.11.2019 City Signs & Print Road Closure Signs £58.32
19.11.2019 Trade UK Maintenance materials £56.80
19.11.2019 DA Williams Electrical Contractor £883.70
19.11.2019 PHS Group Village Hall Toilets £1,034.90
20.11.2019 PHS Group Public Toilets £228.89
21.11.2019 Chris Cobb Grave Digg £250.00
26.11.2019 Godber Christmas Entertainment £180.00
28.11.2019 Staff Salaries 29.11.2019 £1,970.78
29.11.2019 HMRC PAYE/NIC £1,411.87
29.11.2019 NCC Pension Pension November £1,638.36
03.12.2019 Bushby Magazine Delivery £200.00
04.12.2019 Dukeries Singers Christmas Performance £90.00
04.12.2019 Sherwood Forest Brass Band Christmas Performance £80.00
04.12.2019 Location Audio Christmas Marquee £575.00

19/108 DIRECT DEBITS FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
01.11.2019 DVLA Tax £22.75
01.11.2019 NSDC Cemetery £60.00
01.11.2019 NSDC Public Convenience £92.00
01.11.2019 NSDC East Lane Car Park £57.00
01.11.2019 NSDC West Lane Car Park £49.00
01.11.2019 NSDC Mansfield Road Car Park £68.00
06.11.2019 UK Fuels Petrol / Diesel £24.04
18.11.2019 Sage Software £19.20
20.11.2019 UK Fuels Petrol / Diesel £80.73
22.11.2019 Personnel Management Retained Services £120.00
25.11.2019 Better Connected Telecoms £87.20
30.10.2019 UK Fuels Petrol / Diesel £79.22

19/109 INCOME

DATE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
11.11.2019 Christmas Stall £20.00
11.11.2019 Cemetery Burial £120.00
12.11.2019 Cemetery - Memorials £150.00
12.11.2019 Cemetery – Burial £120.00
12.11.2019 Remembrance Wreath £17.00
14.11.2019 Cemetery - Burial £835.00
20.11.2019 Cemetery - Burial £250.00
22.11.2019 Christmas Pitch £30.00
22.11.2019 Christmas Stall £20.00
29.11.2019 Christmas Stall £20.00
02.12.2019 Memorial Bird Box £100.00
Total Cemetery – Burials £1,325.00
Total Cemetery – Memorials £150.00
Total Christmas – Stalls £60.00
Total Memorial Bird Box £100.00
Total Remembrance Wreath £17.00

19/110 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; BULLET POINTS TO CLERK)

County Councillor John Peck reported potholes on Ollerton Road, Mansfield Road, Sixth Avenue and Henton Road. Had a meeting with a Highways Officer regarding my repeated requests for improvements to safety and traffic management issues on Swinecote Road. Reported several places where water was accumulating at various locations in the village during the heavy rains in November. Reported the diseased horse chestnut trees on the edge of Friars Park on Mansfield Road as a large branch had broken off. This is being investigated.

District Councillor Brown reported that the Thoresby Colliery Development went through Planning at NSDC. Veolia are offering a £100 Grant scheme that the Parish Council may be interested in. The Syrian family’s resettlement scheme has proven successful, Edwinstowe Conservation Plan has been completed. Parking Enforcement is undertaken regularly in Edwinstowe, monitoring the public car parks. Been in contact with Ollie Scott at NSDC regarding the Vape Store and have forwarded information regarding VE Day celebrations to the Parish Council.

District Councillor Scott Carlton reported casework regarding Newark and Sherwood Homes to properties. Reported instances of fly tipping of harvested cannabis including Swinecote Road. Bigger Bins are available to large families can have larger bins and bulky waste fees will be reduced by NSDC and will be trailing an action day where collections will be free with the aim to reduce instances of fly tipping. Attend the Nottinghamshire Police and Crime Scrutiny Commission which has an excellent relations with all District Councils bar one. Within Top Valley and Bestwood Estates “Operation Reacher” has proven successful in tackling the gun legacy, with the commission aiming to extend the scheme into other areas.

19/111 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION - STANDING ORDERS WILL BE SUSPENDED
FOR THE DURATION OF THIS SECTION. PLEASE REFER TO GUIDANCE PROVIDED (ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE PARISH COUNCIL WEBSITE) - 15 MINS

No members of the Public Present.

19/112 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 11th January 2020 AT 7.00 PM

Meeting ended at: 9.30pm.

Web Design by JKE Web Design