Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes July 2013

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on 9 July 2013 in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Ayre, Benson, Brooks, Cocking, Freeman, George, J Peck, Starbrook, Tattersall

Apologies: Cllr Boughey - dispensation for 6 months. Cllr K Peck - work commitments

13/046 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chairman welcomed Councillors and members of the public to the meeting.

13/047 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

Approved and authorised unanimously.

13/048 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr Starbrook, Agenda item 13/057, cheque for plants.

13/049 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 11th June 2013

Approved and signed by Chairman

13/033 MATTERS ARISING FROM LAST MEETING

  1. Changes to Sherwood Arrow Bus Service Response
    Chairman read email received from Chris Ward, Operations Manager at Transport & Travel Services "……The alterations were made as part of the wider changes to the Sherwood Arrow Service which now includes a service to Retford and an enhanced frequency to Nottingham. This service also provides a school run into the Dukeries Complex which has helped the authority to reduce some transport costs at a time of reducing budgets. The direct link from Edwinstowe to Worksop is no longer available, but the service does offer connections with the Stagecoach 15 route at Ollerton….".

13/051 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS AND PETITIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1905hrs

Chairman asked members of the public to provide meeting note taker of written questions should they want them including in the minutes ver batum

Residents of Friars Park asked the following questions/made the following statements:

Concluded 1915hrs

13/052 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1915hrs

Cllr Tattersall requested that the Council Clerk make some enquiries as to whether the Allotment Committee must hold an AGM, further to a member of the public claiming they were refusing to do so. Clerk to investigate

Ended 1916hrs

13/053 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

  1. Nottinghamshire Police - Incident Update.
    Few reports of anti social behaviour but all relating to motorcycle nuisance and missing persons from local children care homes. The issues at the care home have now been resolved. A copy of the Crime & ASB update for Edwinstowe June 2013 is available at the Parish Council Office/is on the notice board.

  2. Edwinstowe Business Forum
    The minutes of the Edwinstowe Business Forum meeting on 4 June 2013 are available at the Parish Council Office.

  3. Cemetery Working Group
    A quote has been obtained to cut down a leaning tree and raise the canopy/cut back other trees around the cemetery. A bag of grass seed is also required by the cemetery groundsman. Unanimously approved by Councillors. A copy of the Cemetery Working Group meeting minutes for 26 June 2013 is available at the Parish Council Office.

  4. Safer Neighbourhood Group
    A copy of the SNG minutes/action points from May & July is available at the Parish Council Office. It is proposed that the SNG Annual General Meeting will be on the 3rd Tuesday in September at Abbey Road.

13/054 AGENDA

  1. Skate Park
    Chairman read a prepared statement regarding the current situation with regards to the skatepark:

    The Parish Council and Officers have gone to some lengths to address the concerns of local residents. We have investigated reports of incidents and ASB from other authorities. We have gone directly to both Police and Local Authorities in the areas named by residents, Mansfield & Matlock. All contacted authorities came back with largely positive reports. Any negatives were easily overcome. Advice ranged from being visible and not having shelters to having appropriate warning notices with regard to wearing safety gear. Both official and anecdotal reports indicate that ASB improves around the area. Crime statistics can be viewed on line for both areas. We are aware of noise concerns and independent monitoring of noise levels will take place. The design has been thoughtfully developed to keep noise and repair levels to a minimum. At this moment we are awaiting advice from NSDC planning department as to whether we need planning permission. We paid the £48 required before advice can be forthcoming, some time ago. It is important that the dimensions allowed for development without permission are adhered to. Attempts to rescind the 'permitted development' rights on the area were not successful, NSDC having voted unanimously to uphold such rights. There is a brief resume of why the Friar's Park site was judged to be the most appropriate site for the skatepark. This is in our file on the skatepark for anyone to see. It does not however state anything that has not been said before to members of the public who have asked. The overall height of the concrete structure will be no more than 5 feet and there will be a safety rail above this, in total 9 feet in all. Soil removed from the ground to allow for some of the structure to be below ground level will be used to form banking around the skatepark but other landscaping details have not yet been finalised. A lot of half-truths and misinformation have been circulated by various people and investigation into some statements has found them to be without basis. A public consultation on the skatepark design is still on-going and the findings from this will be published in due course. Some very insulting and ill advised remarks have been made by a few residents of Friar's Park to Councillors and Officers. I would urge a little restraint. Reasonable discussion is welcome. Inappropriate remarks are not.

    The Chairman asked all Councillors to read the report from residents of Friar's Park and stated that no meeting with Councillors regarding the report has been held. The Chairman then addressed various points (read here) from the report from residents of Friar's Park.

    Cllr J Peck stated that he understands the feelings and anxieties of Friar's Park residents, however 1 or 2 residents have conducted themselves very poorly, and a letter has been sent by one of them to NCC making disparaging remarks about the Parish Council. Cllr J Peck welcomes constructive discussions with residents. Cllr J Peck is delighted at the response to the skatepark consultations in the village so far and there has been lots of support. Many local people have campaigned for a skatepark over many years.

    Standing Orders suspended at 19:43pm - Member of the public stated the residents of Friar's Park are not against the skatepark. Standing Orders restored at 19:44pm. Standing Orders suspended at 19:47pm - Member of the public responded to Cllr Freeman's anecdotal comments on opposition to wind turbines, ruled out of order as not an agenda item. Standing orders restored at 19:47pm.

    Cllr Ayre commented on how polite the young people were that came to the skatepark consultation. They were engaged, interested in the skatepark plans, take their sport seriously and do not want an anti social behaviour element there.

  2. Car Parks
    We have confirmation from Andy Statham that we can start negotiations to take over the cark parks. NSDC have agreed to hand over the 3 car parks, have given a pledge to do full structural surveys to check they are in good condition, would re paint any white lines and would amend the signage to include Edwinstowe Parish Council's details. The Parish Council want to guarantee no introduction of car park charges. All Councillors agreed in principle to support negotiations subject to being satisfied to the car parks' condition.

    Car Parks to be added to the agenda for the next meeting for final confirmation. Clerk to make enquiries as to who maintains the piece of land near the doctor's surgery, and to get this put in writing.

  3. Local Improvement Scheme Bids - Village Signs, Repainting Street Furniture on High Street
    Cllr J Peck sought endorsement for 2 bids. One for new cast iron village signs with a picture/logo on, and one to have the village street furniture repainted. It was unanimously agreed to support the bids. Cllr Brooks informed the Council that Andy Statham has been asked about replanting some trees and we can go ahead with this.

    20:00pm Cllr Freeman left the meeting.

  4. Young Peoples Service - Activity Day 1st August 2013
    NCC Young People's Service are holding a Youth Activity Event at Friar's Park on 1 August 2013, 11am until 2pm. Activities include mobile youth project, arts & crafts, sumo wrestling suits, dj ing, dance workshop, sporting challenges, and an activity that involves ropes.

13/055 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

NAME DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
Nottinghamshire County Council 29th Robin Hood Festival Noted
Fields in Trust Update - Thoresby Cricket Club Application(for info) Noted
Nottinghamshire County Council Waste Core Strategy - post hearing consultation Noted
Rotary Club of Sherwood Forest Cheque for Skate Park Noted and with Thanks

13/056 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

None.

13/057 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

  1. Quote for replacement printer/photocopier

  2. New Central Heating System

Cllr Brooks summarised the quotes and it was unanimously agreed to hold a separate Finance Committee meeting in August.

13/058 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
07.06.13 Intervend UK Ltd Water Machine Rental £6.00
07.06.13 JPK Services Mower Repairs £50.30
07.06.13 JPK Services Bowser Repairs £30.00
17.06.13 Thoresby Estates Rent for Land by Rover Maun £50.00
17.06.13 Viking Direct Stationary £37.02
18.06.13 Fire Protection Online Ltd Emergency Access Bar (rear door - Village Hall) £58.72
18.06.13 Pet's Paradise Plants £60.80
24.06.13 Cash Petty Cash £92.20
24.06.13 Henry Perry Henton Road Gates £125.92
26.06.13 Village Hall Mgt Cttee Electric to 26.06.13 £68.81
26.06.13 Needinput Newsletter Printing £2,380.00
26.06.13 Town & Country Village Grass Cutting £1,588.80
28.06.13 Town & Country Grass Seed £96.00

Cheques were approved and signed.

13/059 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

13/060 PLANNING MATTERS April 2013

Planning Applications

1. Application No: 13/00765/FUL
Applicant: Mr Aydinoglu
Proposal: Change of use A1 to A3 at ground floor maintaining A3 at first floor
Site Address: 12 High Street, Edwinstowe, Notts
EPC DECISION: We continue to oppose any proposal to use the property as a kebab or any other form of fast food outlet. We also oppose the lateness of the opening hours.

13/061 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

District Councillors Report

Housing is still an on-going area of concern across the NSDC area. The bedroom tax is causing great consternation and Cllr Brooks would advise anyone experiencing financial hardship because of it to seek advice as to whether they could get a grant from NSDC to help with their situation. This can be Council Tax Support or Discretionary Housing Benefit. Other changes in the law recently the subject of Councillor training include Licensing Entertainment laws. It is now possible to have live & recorded music playing to audiences of between 200 - 500 between 8am and 11pm without a license in many cases. The number of people and type of music depends on the location and whether there is an alcohol licence for the premises. Further details regarding Licensing Entertainment laws are available at the Parish Council Office and NSDC.

County Councillors Report

The proposal to extend the Robin Hood Line through Edwinstowe has got through the Highways Department as something NCC would like to put bids in for. They would like to undertake a feasibility study. The proposed extension is still a long way off but things are moving forward. Works on Lansbury Road are coming along and should be completed in August. There have been some problems involving the young people at Villa Real. One boy involved has now moved away to a different home. There are only 4 beds at Villa Real and as a general rule things are usually quiet there.

The Local Authority needs to make budget cuts of £133m and Cllr J Peck said there are some difficult decisions to make.

Cllr J Peck said the latest edition of Edwinstowe Village News has been well received. The interactive speed sign at Rufford Road is not a permanent one. It will monitor the traffic so a decision can be made as to whether the site warrants a permanent one.

Cllr Brooks asked can we bear in mind that some of the young people at Villa Real have had traumatic childhoods and we need to show understanding and empathy.

Henton Road was discussed at a confidential meeting.

13/062 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 10th September 2013

Web Design by JKE Web Design