Parish Council Menu

Village Magazine

Catch up with what is happening in your village in our Village Magazine.

Find the latest issues here >>>


Major Oak Medical Practice

Opening Times

Monday: 7.00 - 18.00
Tuesday: 7.00 - 18.00
Wednesday: 8.00 - 18.00
Thursday: 8.00 - 18.00
Friday: 7.00 - 18.00
Weekend: Closed

Visit the website for information Here >>>


Library Opening Times

Tuesday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 6.30
Thursday: 9.30 - 1.00
Friday: 9.30 - 1.15 & 2.00 - 5.30
Saturday: 9.30 - 12.30
Monday, Wednesday & Sunday: Closed


Totally Locally

Open your eyes to the great independant shops and businesses in Edwinstowe.

Find out more >>>
Visit Totally Locally

Meeting Minutes September 2015

Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on Tuesday 8 September 2015 at 7.00pm in the Council Chamber, Village Hall, Edwinstowe

Present: Cllrs Ayre, Benson, Brooks, Brown, Cocking, McLaughlin, Peacock, J Peck, K Peck, Starbrook and Tattersall

Apologies: None

15/057 WELCOME BY CHAIRMAN INCLUDING ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS

The Chair opened the meeting and welcomed all present.

The title deeds for the public toilets have now been received from our solicitors.

The next Safer Neighbourhood Group Meeting is in the Village Hall, on Tuesday 15th September at 6.00pm.

15/058 RECEIVE ANY APOLOGIES AND REASONS FOR ABSENCE

None.

15/059 DISCLOSURES OF INTERESTS BY MEMBERS (AND EMPLOYEES) IN ITEMS ON THE AGENDA

Cllr McLaughlin for 15/064 (iii)

15/060 TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD
ON 14th July 2015

15/061 'CHOOSE NEWARK HOSPITAL CAMPAIGN' PRESENTATION

Standing Orders suspended.

Tracey Wall, Hospital Matron and Hazel Saddington, Ward Leader gave an overview of the wide range of services provided at Newark Hospital both currently and intended and the challenges facing the hospital. (copies of the presentation are available from the Parish Council Office)

It was suggested that the services are advertised in the next Edwinstowe News and on the village website. Article to be sent

Standing Orders reinstated.

15/062 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETINGS

  1. Wheels outside Thoresby Colliery
    At a recent meeting with Harworth Estates, the Chair expressed an interest in one of the wheels should it become available. This could be used as a memorial to Thoresby Colliery.

    There is a meeting on 25th September with all interested parties about the future of the site. Nothing has been submitted to N&SDC Planning yet. Clerk to contact for details of meeting

15/063 TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM COUNCILLORS (20 MINUTES)

Commenced 1926hrs

Cllr Brown reported speeding vehicles and motorbikes on Henton Road and Gaitskell Crescent. This has previously been reported. Raise at next SNG meeting

Cllr McLaughlin reported speeding vehicles on Mansfield Road, Swinecote Lane and around King Edwin's School (especially and drop off and pick up times). Raise at next SNG meeting

Cllr McLaughlin reported youths gathering around the cricket pitch. Raise at next SNG meeting

Councillors to encourage residents to report incidents to the police.

Cllr Brown reported that the planters around Gaitskell Crescent have not been replaced since the upgrading work. Cllr Brooks to take to N&S Homes

Cllr J Peck requested an update on the High Street banners and shop frontages as they do not comply with conservation area rules. Request rules from N&SDC

Cllr J Peck requested a letter be sent to the Co-op as they are placing advertising sleeves over the decorative bollards. Clerk to write letter

Cllr McLaughlin asked whether anything can be done about parking in West Lane car park when visiting the doctors. Agenda item for October

Cllr Tattersall requested a letter is sent to Edwinstowe House concerning the wall that has been knocked down near British Telecom. Clerk to write letter

Ended 1938hrs

15/064 TO RECEIVE AND CONSIDER REPORTS AND MINUTES OF ANY COMMITTEE, WORKING GROUP OR SUB-COMMITTEE

Available from Parish Council Office.

The Chair of Each Working Group/Committee will report back to the meeting. Copies of the reports are available from the Parish Council Office (subject to usual charges)

  1. Parks & Open Spaces Working Group
    1. Fourth Avenue Update
      We have been successful in our bid to NCC Supporting Local Communities Fund and have been awarded £19k towards the refurbishment of Fourth Avenue play area. Clerk to arrange a meeting with Phil Beard and Andy Statham of N&SDC, the Parks Working Group and any other councillors.

      The working group met on site to look at the new area which is considerably larger than the current one. It was felt that part of the site should be left as a community garden area. Clerk to arrange a meeting with CISWO, the Parks Working Group and any other councillors to discuss timeframes etc

    2. Memorial to Thoresby Colliery at Fourth Avenue
      Need to consult with residents and former miners for their ideas.
  2. Cemetery Working Group
    1. Unsafe headstones
      Approval was sought from the meeting to move the two dangerous headstones to the edge of the cemetery and lay them flat. Notices will be displayed. Approved unanimously

    2. Cemetery fees
      After a lengthy discussion it was unanimously agreed to raise the cemetery fees to those proposed by the working group, but to review it in 6 months to ensure we are on track. Updated fees to be circulated to all funeral directors and placed on the website.

      A request for a breakdown between residents and non-residents interred in the cemetery was made. Clerk to compile list for 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15

      Cllr J Peck moved to accept the cemetery report and the proposed charges, Cllr Brown seconded - unanimous. Agreed to review in six months.

  3. Allotment Working Group
    1. Report from Cllr Ayre
      Issues raised by allotment holders
      Water - some allotment holders are not happy that the person who has not paid rent this year is still using water.

      A discussion took place concerning the shed ownership - it was gifted to the site not the association. It is currently being used to sell plants.

      A discussion took place concerning holding an annual meeting at the end February/beginning March. It was strongly felt that various issues need resolving before the meeting is called. Only paid up allotment holders would be eligible to attend.

      The intention is still to hand the allotments back to an association in due course.

      A letter has been sent to the secretary of the allotment association querying some of these points.

      A very enjoyable site visit last Sunday.

    2. Waiting List
      There are currently 3 on the waiting list. There are some unkempt plots that need attention - letters have been sent.

    3. Unpaid Rent
      This is in the hands of solicitors.

      It is costing the Parish Council and tax payers money, are all allotment holders aware? Can we reclaim costs from the individual concerned? Any legal fees will be shown separately on accounts.

      Thanks were expressed to allotment holders for conserving water as the water bills equate to the estimated water charges.

      Next year's rent will be the same as this year. It was agreed to include 'Charges can be increased by inflation' on the tenancy agreements. The amendments to the agreements will come into effect next year.

    4. Removal of Asbestos
      The asbestos in question is situated on a vacant plot. Incorrect rumours are being spread about asbestos being on an occupied plot.

      We have received one quote and are awaiting a second. The Chair requested permission for the Clerk to proceed with the removal when the quotes are received. Unanimous.

      Scrap metal will be removed separately. Cllr Ayre arranging.

  4. Events Working Group
    1. Christmas Event
      Ongoing - next meeting is 30th September

      Cllr K Peck had received positive feedback for the VJ Day event arranged by the British Legion. Thanks to all concerned for their hard work.

      The craft bombing on the High Street during Robin Hood Festival look brilliant. Thanks to all concerned

  5. Finance & Administration Committee
    The budget is on track. Thanks to Alice for all her hard work.

  6. Personnel & Staffing Group
    Notes from Personnel & Staffing Group
    The group is looking at updating contracts and job descriptions for all workers and are currently in the process of meeting with all employees.
    This is a lengthy process and we will be using the services of an employment advisor - at no extra cost.

  7. Health & Safety Working Group
    Risk assessments have now been updated and completed as appropriate.
    Work on the Emergency Plan is ongoing.
    David and Alice to attend a Health & Safety Course

    The Council Chambers have been assessed by the Fire Service and the maximum capacity is 33.

    It was requested to place winter weather measures on the October agenda. Agenda item

  8. Newsletter Group
    The group reviewed the back issues of the magazine, discussed ideas for future editions and looked at the advertising.

15/065 AGENDA

  1. Community Led Plan
    It has previously been agreed to consult with residents concerning a community-led plan for Edwinstowe. There will be an article in the next edition of Edwinstowe Village News asking for resident's views.

    Karen Tarburton from RCAN has agreed to meet with councillors in the near future to explain the process. Agenda item October, Clerk to arrange meeting

  2. Litter Bin, West Lane (near bench opposite Gary Lock's)
    A request has been received to place a litter bin next to the bench opposite PG Locks. Clerk to contact N&SDC to ascertain whether they will provide a bin and to obtain costs, agenda item October

15/066 Correspondence(COPIES ARE AVAILABLE TO VIEW IN COUNCIL CHAMBERS)

DESCRIPTION COMMENTS
Letter of appreciation from Edwinstowe resident Noted
Letter from Edwinstowe resident re maintenance to bridal path at Rufford Road Noted
NSDC - Annual Parish Conference 2015 Circulate details with minutes. Let Clerk know if would like to attend.

15/067 ANY APPOINTMENTS TO COMMITTEES, WORKING GROUPS OR
SUB-COMMITTEES OR OTHER BODIES

None.

15/068 FINANCIAL MATTERS (TO BE REFERRED TO THE FINANCE COMMITTEE, if necessary)

None

15/069 CHEQUES/INVOICES FOR APPROVAL

DATE PAYEE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT inc VAT
09.07.2015 Dean Thomas Solicitors Legal Charges £413.00
09.07.2015 Grave Digger Grave Dig £250.00
15.07.2015 Premier Flags Bunting for High Street £199.50
16.07.2015 Bunzl Cleaning Supplies £176.18
17.07.2015 Konica Minolta Copier Charges £60.79
23.07.2015 Cash Petty Cash £100.00
24.07.2015 Grave Digger Grave Dig £250.00
29.07.2015 Town & Country Village Grass Cutting £1,582.80
29.07.2015 Konica Minolta Photocopier Rental £100.37
30.07.2015 Cables Electrical Alarm System Service £82.80
04.08.2015 JPK Mower Repairs £21.00
10.08.2015 NALC Staffing Course £50.00
10.08.2015 B&Q Lawn Items £23.84
13.08.2015 NALC CiLCA Course £240.00
19.08.2015 NSDC Pest Control £116.40
19.08.2015 NCC Supplies Brush Heads £43.20
21.08.2015 Cash Petty Cash £60.00
21.08.2015 WCG Utilities Ltd Sewage Works at Pavillion £360.00
24.08.2015 Severn Trent Water Charges for Public Conveniences £124.00
24.08.2015 Bunzl Cleaning Supplies £70.67
26.08.2015 Bago Litter Collection Equipment £60.00
26.08.2015 Severn Trent Water Charges for Allotments £225.77
27.08.2015 Town & Country Grass Cutting £1,528.80
02.09.2015 Key Builders Green Paint - High Street £31.44

Cheques approved unanimously.

15/070 GRANT APPLICATIONS

None.

15/071 REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS
(VERBAL REPORT AT MEETING; COPY OF REPORT TO CLERK)

District Council

Planning - the six parking bays on Boy Lane have been approved. A request was made for parking bays to be placed on High Street (opposite Mill Lane)

High Street banners - there was a site visit by planning officers (8th September) including looking at the various shop fronts and banners on the High Street.

The Solar Farm has been refused by N&SDC although approved by the Parish Council.

There was a discussion concerning planning matters to be discussed by full Parish Council and those to be discussed by a quorate Planning Committee (4 councillors).

Cllr K Peck moved that the Planning Committee deals with day to day planning applications concerning domestic housing, issues that are not likely to have more than a local impact. Anything having a major impact on the community comes to full council meeting. There will also be a facility for a councillor to call a planning matter in for discussion by full council. Seconded Cllr Brown, vote 10 for and 1 against.

County Council

Robin Hood Line - progress is being made, various meetings are being held with key players including the MP. The transport committee will consider the feasibility study at their meeting in October. The next stage is for NCC to submit a bid to the Government growth fund.

Development of Thoresby Colliery - broad outline plans have been presented at an informal meeting. The plans include houses, industrial units and recreation areas.

C/Cllr Peck has requested the resurfacing of the High Street.

Both primary schools have a 20mph speed limit outside. Including Forest Corner for St Mary's. The zigzag lines outside King Edwin's also need extending.

Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre - the preferred bidder is a consortium between RSPB, Sherwood Forest Trust, Thoresby Estates and Continuum. Contracts have not been signed yet. The preferred site is the Fun Park site. Cllr J Peck has raised issues concerning the location. NCC will be meeting with Alf/Winona to discuss various options.

There are also issues concerning access/parking and traffic management.

The NCC Director and RSPB representative have offered to come to a Parish Council meeting. Agreed unanimously. Clerk to organise meeting

15/072 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION - STANDING ORDERS WILL BE SUSPENDED
FOR THE DURATION OF THIS SECTION. PLEASE REFER TO GUIDANCE PROVIDED (ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE PARISH COUNCIL WEBSITE)

Commenced 2115hrs

The Forestry Commission are closing areas of Sherwood Forest due to maintenance work. There is very limited information available. The Clerk has contacted Rights of Way and has left a message with Forestry Commission.

A resident asked questions about the allotment including follow-up questions to the meeting he had two councillors.

15/073 DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Tuesday 13 October 2015

Meeting closed at 2130hrs

Web Design by JKE Web Design